Dungeon Siege 3 - Analysis for Performance @ Eurogamer

aries100

SasqWatch
Eurogamer did a performance analysis of DS3 to find out which of the three versions would perform best. And while the PC version did come out on top, they also noted that many would be put off by the keyboard and mouse control. They also talk about the difference in three versions in relation to Obsidian's Onyx Engine. A sample:
There's a very definite sense that the PC game is the "master" version of Dungeon Siege III. It does everything the console releases set out to do and just a little more besides. In comparison with the console versions, it's interesting to note that the mild technical compromises Obsidian made for the 360 and PS3 releases are completely absent in the PC game, which has the best of both worlds. Actual visual improvements to the game are somewhat few and far between, but they are there if you look for them. Anti-aliasing is selectable, with 2x, 4x and 8x MSAA as options, but perhaps because of the post-processing effects blitzing the effect after it has been applied, the overall effect is very similar to the console versions.
More information.

And while the PC version did come out on top, they also noted that many would be put off by the keyboard and mouse control

The coffee shot right out my nose when I read that. Just when you think you've seen all imaginable spin and propaganda in the news media, you find a gem like this one about gaming.

Keyboard and mouse provide the most accurate and versatile controls there are for most games. Period.

Maybe I'm wrong, because I don't know much about Eurogamer, but from that little gem of a quote, they are most certainly in bed with the 'consoles are king' and 'PC Gaming is dying' crowd.

Ds3 is a terrible game and will be forgotten faster than DA2.

The coffee shot right out my nose when I read that. Just when you think you've seen all imaginable spin and propaganda in the news media, you find a gem like this one about gaming.

Keyboard and mouse provide the most accurate and versatile controls there are for most games. Period.

Maybe I'm wrong, because I don't know much about Eurogamer, but from that little gem of a quote, they are most certainly in bed with the 'consoles are king' and 'PC Gaming is dying' crowd.

I think they used 'many' as in refering to those playing DS3, not all games. It's not some phylosophical quote about the best control in the world of games but how controls were implemented in DS3. And based on the demo the mouse doesn't feel more accurate at all.

It's the fact that you can't rebind the keys, combined with their rather random placement that is being commented

Ds3 is a terrible game

I disagree with it being a "terrible game." While it certainly isn't a great game, it suffers from the same affliction as Arcania. It is not a game worthy of having a specific franchise name attached to it. If it didn't have "Dungeon Siege" attached to it, it would be accepted much more.

Back
Top Bottom