Railroad Tycoon

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Well ... I think I should start it, since it's currently being given away as a free (and legal) download. ;)

http://www.2kgames.com/railroads/railroads.html

(There under "Downloads". Contains - as I heard - already the DOSBOX emulator.)

Has anyone here played this classic ?

"Tycoon"-games and similar strategy games are very popular here in Germany; we call this genre "Aufbaustrategie", meaning "building up - strategy". The "Anno" series, for example, with Anno 1701 as the latest game, is extremely popular here. The Settlers, too (not the Settlers 5, but rather 1-4).

Alrik

I haven't played it, was supposed to get 'Sid Meier's Railroads' for review, but haven't seen it in the post yet (and with G3 and NWN2 I'm not bugging them ... just a weekly "not received" report ;) )

The biggest classic in the tycoon series is Transport Tycoon Deluxe - what a game! I spent many, many hours back in the 90s playing TTD. :D

The original Railroad Tycoon with it's EGA graphics is still the best in my opinion.

I played this back in the day, when I didn't even understand English. Not sure how I did it, but I was able to get the gist of the game in any case, and played it with some success.

Transport Tycoon is also freeware nowadays:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=3407

To play Transport Tycoon these days, I would recommend OpenTTD, an open source remake of the TTD engine that adds support for higher resolutions and features to make the gameplay slicker (larger total amount of vehicles, shortcuts and the like).

There's also TTD-patch for the original game that also modifies gameplay and probably has more features than OTTD, but since it merely modifies the files of the original game you don't get access to higher resolutions and the multiplayer features in OTTD.

The original Railroad Tycoon with it's EGA graphics is still the best in my opinion.
Agreed. It's a bit simple, but sometimes simple is best. Although waiting for the perfect time at the end of the year to begin a stock raid (timing it so the current owner didn't have a chance to counter your purchase) was a little hokey. Didn't keep me from doing it, though... ;)

Thanks for the link. It's great when companies release their old games. I wish Bethsoft would do the same for Daggerfall like they did it for Arena. . .

Gosh, I found the manual and the reference charts for this game! Gotta love having a pack rat family. I'm finding that it actually holds up pretty well to the test of time, much like Transport Tycoon. The only annoyances are the controls (haven't quite befriended them yet) and the tiny resolution. I wish someone would make an OpenRRT...

Just cant play these types of games for very long, they just seem so unsatisfying once everything's said and done. Zoo Tycoon was an interesting premise that I enjoyed at first. At first.
I end up building everything up, and then I'm sitting there thinking "ok, what now?"

finally I just let the lions loose and started tossing different animals together, it was like Dungeon Keeper meets Zoo Tycoon.

I guess Im just an RTS player at heart, build up then destroy!

RRT has a stupid 32 Million dollar limit as the devs didnt want to waste a few extra bits for the cash variable. Otherwise it is a great game, and IMHO more fun than Railroads.

Zoo Tycoon is actually one of my favourite games ( I think I've forgotten to add it to my list).

These games don't offer adrenaline, that's why many people find them so boring, I assume.

Back
Top Bottom