Dark Souls II - Character Creation Video

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
IGN has posted a new video for Dark Souls II that asks From Software what type of characters they want to play as, and watch them recrate them in game.

See how Dark Souls 2 character creation works, as we recreate From Software devs' personal characters.
More information.

Don't really care what my guy looks like in games but I guess some people do.

I'm sad they got rid of my thief class I liked getting the master key and bandit knife at the start. No biggie though.

Well yeah I never got that "character customization"(*) thing very much either. And I do believe that the chances to actually see those looks will be slim in #2 also indeed.

But I do have to say I find the mangaish vibe of these models a bit off-putting (No biggy naturally). I kinda preferred the offbeat charm (read uglyish ;) ) of the models in #1 and the culture connection. I wonder if that last one is still in…

(* whenever I hear a PR rep say that. I get conned into thinking they are going to talk about the character system and always end up disappointed :D)

Yeah I thought we'd see some stats or starting gifts but it was just " I would make a guy that looks like me" Oh, okay.

I can't say I particularly care for the superfluous character visuals either; much like JonNik I'd much prefer more focus was given to the stat and character system instead.

Based upon the sheer amount of fun I had playing the Sorcerer from my summer play-through of DS1 and the changes envisioned to the attunement stat (affecting casting speed etc) I'm seriously considering going for that class again whenever I do get to playing DS2. Hopefully upgrade potentials with this class have improved and greater options will exist when it comes to equipment as well.

I doubt I will be able to avoid going for Knight once again ;)

Sorcerer though sounds very viable even for newcomers this time around (it was my honest opinion that it was a risky choice for a first ever build in #1). "Dual wielding" spells (casting a strong slow version), FP targeting, adaptable casting speed (see below) spell slot replenishment herbs etc all sound very enticing (definitely my second run again).

Speaking of stats (kind of a thing for me I have to say ;) ), if you will allow me a repost:

dark-souls-2-02122014-19.jpg

So some very interesting stuff added here. Some shuffling around in the main stats with Adaptability being the most intriguing one. It apparently is a merge of resistance and agility (if a certain youtuber is to be believed) so It will both determine the speed of every task in the game (I guess it will affect the Cast speed and Agility on the derived attr. side) but also influence how much damage you take from attacks… I guess we''l have to wait and see how much of that is accurate but I believe it is obvious that they are trying to make stats matter more this time around (instead of playing second fiddle to the gear system) and make the correlation of your progression choices translating into the actual way the action gameplay handles even more pronounced (which is something I loved about #1 and I think more arpgs should adopt).

Ofcourse, we need to see what kind of balance they achieved but I am cautiously optimistic for this aspect.

P.S. Starting gift: Definitely Seed of the Tree of Giants. I hope this wasn't one of Miyazaki's ideas/nasty humor again because it does sound intriguing :D

Last edited:
Most of the developers wants to play sorcerer... well probably it means that's the best :D

Yeah, I am starting to suspect that it may actually provide for a smoother first run experience. I get a feeling that #2 might actually favor Mobile Sorcery builds with perhaps a Dex weapon (Dagger, rapier or slashing sword class ?) more than my stolid Faith/Strength Tank build (which I'll be sticking with regardless ;) ) this time round...

I do believe I posted some beta footage recently with a nimble sorcerer. Seemed to have a pretty uneventful romp through Hunter's Copse (I didn't spoil the Boss fight at the end for myself so I don't know how he did there ;) )

There are some really cool additions indeed in that level up screen. Like Dark DEF - must mean we can make dark weapons also then. But I have to say I like the look of the Dark Souls menu screens a lot more. That DkS2 screen is neither transparent.

There are some really cool additions indeed in that level up screen. Like Dark DEF - must mean we can make dark weapons also then.

I was thinking that maybe it had to do with resistance against Dark/Abyss magic too (which will apparently be a thing in #2).

Agree on the looks of the menu. Have to give them props for trying to cram as much info into it and still manage to keep the surroundings and your character visible though.

P.S. Starting gift: Definitely Seed of the Tree of Giants. I hope this wasn't one of Miyazaki's ideas/nasty humor again because it does sound intriguing :D

Speaking of starting gifts, apparently explorers start with,

Spell Quartz Ring (boosts Magic Def) 20 Lifegems (slow over time healing item) 8 Witching Urns (Magic element grenade) 4 Aromatic Ooze (apply to weapon for Magic buff) 1 Repair Powder 2 Rusty Coins (temporary Luck boost) 5 Prism Stones 1 Pharros Stone (Activates Pharros Contraptions) Starting weapon is a Dagger.

And the helm from their armour set gives item find too, I believe.

That Pharros Stone, though… I don't know what Pharros Contraptions are but I think being able to activate one early in the game might come with some serious advantages!

As for the actual starting gift, the
when given to Snuggly, has apparently rewarded players with both a Whip weapon and a white ring which makes you glow like a white phantom. It could give a completely random item or maybe there are a few rewards; I don't know. The whip was apparently a much better weapon, with vastly superior move set, to the whip from Dark Souls, but I've noticed that most weapons seem to have improved move sets now and as a result are more deadly. Maces and Axes especially!

It has just been confirmed (this time is right) that the PC release date is 25th of April, and Steam pre-orders will follow soon:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/06/dark-souls-2-pc-release-date-confirmed-for-april/

Scap that, it is already on Steam for pre-orders:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236430/

Here is the some description from Steam about the PC version:

PC & STEAM version will benefit from PC capabilities with increased texture resolution and an enhanced frame rate option. On top of that, FromSoftware have been working to perfectly adapt the game for a mouse & keyboard combo.

Good news!

Speaking of starting gifts, apparently explorers start with,

Spell Quartz Ring (boosts Magic Def) 20 Lifegems (slow over time healing item) 8 Witching Urns (Magic element grenade) 4 Aromatic Ooze (apply to weapon for Magic buff) 1 Repair Powder 2 Rusty Coins (temporary Luck boost) 5 Prism Stones 1 Pharros Stone (Activates Pharros Contraptions) Starting weapon is a Dagger.

And the helm from their armour set gives item find too, I believe.

Wow, exploring sounds like a lucrative business ;)

on other News:
Steam said:
This game will unlock in approximately 1 month, 3 weeks, and 13 hours

:wall: There goes playing this on my Easter vacation...

(Also I wish Amazon got on with the programme. Still telling me they can't give me a delivery date)

Back
Top Bottom