2011 was a terrific year for RPG - but what about 2012 ?

Secret World should be late in beta by now, I think. I'd be surprised if it's not out within 3-6 months. Not for me though.

I doubt we'll see ArcheAge in 2012.

You could post this every year from now until the end of…, oh, wait, 2012. Never mind.
You know, Cleve ought to kick his game out the door on that day. May 12th, isn't it? Hell, the game's been in a release-able state for 2 years now, so he can pick any day he likes to put it out there. He's got a level of self-awareness about the game's reputation, so he could probably appreciate the humor.

Hm, I rather fear that he might have the feeling that his sense of life is gone after it is released.

It's like a bit like with parents : They must learn to let go one day ...

2011 was also an excellent year for Indie RPG's and Roguelikes.

Some Games I'm looking forward to are:
Avernum - Escape from the Pit
Desktop Dungeons
Driftmoon
Drox Operative (Soldak)
Dungeons of Dreadmor Expansion
Eschalon 3
Frayed Knights II & III
Grim Dawn (From the Titan Quest Devs)
TOME 3.0 (Non Beta)
Torchlight II

For me, 2011 started out pretty badly - 2W2 and especially DA2 were disappointments - but it was only good stuff afterwards (TW2, DE:HR, FK, S).

I´m not sure if I would call this year terrific for RPGs though, I´ve played none which I´d consider "fully fledged", while 2010 had two - Drakensang 2 and Fallout: New Vegas - which along with Dragon Knight Saga, Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect 2 made for a somewhat better balanced and richer selection in my book.

The Witcher 2 and especially Human Revolution lean more towards action than RPG side, Frayed Knights is a pure dungeon crawler and Skyrim is great as an open world game, but not as great as an RPG, in my opinion.
I´d say it was a very good year for RPG-y games, but well, I had a lot of fun with the above four, so whatever :).

As for 2012, I´m looking forward to Risen 2 and Frayed Knights 2.
Age of Decadence and Dead State are on my looking-forward-to list too, but I don´t expect them to be released in 2012.
Even though I enjoyed both its predecessors, Mass Effect 3 is more a case of a game I´m expecting, rather than looking forward to, given Bioware of today.
And when it comes to Amalur, its corridor maps and especially art direction so far successfully overshadowed all the other rather promising info for me.

Age of Decadence and Dead State are on my looking-forward-to list too, but I don´t expect them to be released in 2012.

I almost forgot about Dead State. That's definitely one of my most anticipated non-AAA titles, along with Grimrock. I think you're right about it not getting released next year though.

I would think that AoD is getting a 2012 release for sure though.

I'm looking forward (might not all release in 2012):
AoD
Grim Dawn
Guild Wars 2
Kingdom Of Amalur (probably won't be as good as Skyrim though)
Legend of Grimrock
Risen 2
ME3 (will buy toward the end of 2012 at bargain bin prices).

Of these, two have a release date.

For me:

Risen 2
Kingdoms of Amalur

and a bit out of place but a joy to play and all time favourite:

Prototype 2 (there is nothing more satisfying than taking a swan dive of a sky scraper to create a ground shock wave followed by a devastating devastator attack!)

Forgot about Grim Dawn, that makes my list too.

in 2011 I fall in love with Pockie Ninja, I wish more wonderful games in 2012

Anyone played the Path of Exile beta yet? I assume it'll be finalised some time in 2012. Looks pretty nice…but I haven't been lucky enough to receive a beta key yet.

Back
Top Bottom