Witcher 3 Share your first impressions

The Witcher 3
I'm enjoying it a lot too. The game is full of these amazing little details. Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but did you guys notice that the battlefield in White Orchard is the one from the trailer where Geralt and Vesemir are tracking Yennefer? To the north west -I think- is the spot where she bumps in to someone who drops all sorts of books and potions (cannot interact with them though). Who was that btw? And very close to where you begin the game, at the campfire next to that battlefield, you can find the crow's skull from the end of that trailer...

I'm enjoying it a lot too. The game is full of these amazing little details. Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but did you guys notice that the battlefield in White Orchard is the one from the trailer where Geralt and Vesemir are tracking Yennefer? To the north west -I think- is the spot where she bumps in to someone who drops all sorts of books and potions (cannot interact with them though). Who was that btw? And very close to where you begin the game, at the campfire next to that battlefield, you can find the crow's skull from the end of that trailer…

Yeah, I also found the crow's skull, and it just hit me that it was straight from the intro cinematic. Amazing stuff. Amazing attention to detail. And I don't think they point out the crow's skull, unless you use witcher senses. So it's awesome that you can miss it. Very cool. I hope you can hand it over to Yennefer when you meet her and she makes some comment about that.

It really does, get better and better. I just did a pretty cool quest for some old lady, recovering her pan. And during the search for her pan, I found some item, which apparently is a quest item, but which currently has no quest associated with it. And I really hope they build on top of this, and I stumbled on to the quest associated with it.

I'm talking about finding the burnt letter and the monocle inside the old lady's house. I didn't get any quest when either picking up the monocle or reading the burnt letter, so I hope I get to stumble up the continuation for this, as I found it very interesting investigating who the two men were, that took occupancy of the old lady's house. And I imagine one of them lost the monocle? I'm curious. It would be a real waste if they didn't build on this. But I love this mechanic of finding/triggering parts of future quests in current quests.

From what I've seen, quest are only available in your log (outside of main quests) when you are in the region they become available. For example, the Gwent quest to play a specific player given to you by the first guy in White Orchard only shows up once you reach Velen because Oxenfurt is part of that region.

I found it on the floor of the house, either in the room with the dead body or the previous room. I don't think it was the one with the stove.

It is in the same room to the right of the dead body If you are facing the window. Quite tricky to notice even with senses on. The letter does give a clue as to who might be responsible, but no idea if this leads anywhere.

I hope you can hand it over to Yennefer when you meet her and she makes some comment about that.

I can confirm that you cannot ;).
Should be important at some point though, as it's in the 'quest item' part of the inventory.

I can confirm that you cannot ;).
Should be important at some point though, as it's in the 'quest item' part of the inventory.

Weird then. I was under the impression that you could easily miss the item when the game starts. Meaning I would imagine it can't really be a required item for some quest. Anyways, I'll see when I get there.

I've progressed the mail quest some more, talked with Tamira the herbalist and am now tracking the griffin. One thing I did find weird, and maybe someone can confirm if it seemed weird to anyone else, after talking with Tamira and deciding to help Lena, the griffin victim, with a Swallow potion, the quest immediately went into done status, even though Geralt said it should take days for the potion to take effect. And checking the quest log, it said the girl, Lena, was physically cured by the Swallow potion, but her mind was affected. Did they just reveal what was going to happen in the quest log, seeing as Dandelion, who narrates the story, is omniscient to all the present/past/future details? Or was it a bug? Should I have not seen that journal entry only upon meeting the girl later on?

Does anyone have any input on this? It seemed weird, since all other journal entries were in the present tense.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I think they simply decided to let you know her future fate immediately since the quest was over. I was a little disappointed as well.

Haha, what's up with the death animation (or lack there of) for Geralt. It's like 1996 all over. Also he does a stupid jump before he dies. In Skyrim your character did some type of poorly animated spin before he died, but even that was better.

Can't say that's something I noticed or would even care about.

I'm getting my ass kicked in Velen now. I'm in a large underground area that's part of the main quest, and my only silver sword is at less than 30% integrity. I might have to revert to an earlier save and build Geralt up a little more.

I don't think that it's a bug but this quest was handled in a kind of strange way… Tamira's hut is closed until you hear about her from the Nilfgaardian officer which, for me, was late in chapter 1. Since the only quest I had left was the griffin fight, I certainly wouldn't be prepared to wait for "days" just to see what has happened.
Why not just say that for Geralt Swallow acts instantly but for the girl it would take a day instead of days? Maye there was more to this quest but it was edited at the last minute for some reason?

And thanks for the tip about crow's skull! I have missed it completely!

Haha, what's up with the death animation (or lack there of) for Geralt. It's like 1996 all over. Also he does a stupid jump before he dies. In Skyrim your character did some type of poorly animated spin before he died, but even that was better.

Yeah, I know. Witcher 3 is a terrible game. I'm full of admiration that you persevere regardless.

I just spent the last 30 mins battling the Griffin in White Orchard on Death March. Jesus, it started to get annoying, since I'd always miss-dodge his powerful lunge attack. And I had no more Swallow, I was basically relying on water/food for heath. And it took me some time before I realized he was very vulnerable to fire, so thankfully I had a full stock of Tawny Owl for stamina regen, and just set him ablaze over and over. But man, did it feel good after I finished him off.

Also, I was quite annoying with the niflgaardian captain so I turned down his monetary reward for killing the griffin. I wonder if it'll have any consequence.

Can't say that's something I noticed or would even care about.

I'm getting my ass kicked in Velen now. I'm in a large underground area that's part of the main quest, and my only silver sword is at less than 30% integrity. I might have to revert to an earlier save and build Geralt up a little more.

No repair kits?

I just spent the last 30 mins battling the Griffin in White Orchard on Death March. Jesus, it started to get annoying, since I'd always miss-dodge his powerful lunge attack. And I had no more Swallow, I was basically relying on water/food for heath. And it took me some time before I realized he was very vulnerable to fire, so thankfully I had a full stock of Tawny Owl for stamina regen, and just set him ablaze over and over. But man, did it feel good after I finished him off.

Also, I was quite annoying with the niflgaardian captain so I turned down his monetary reward for killing the griffin. I wonder if it'll have any consequence.

I did the same thing in turning it down.

As for the fight there was a not a hut but four post covered stand that the griffin wasn't able to cause any damage that I would stand under to recover.

Nope, and I also don't have any oils to help me against the monster types here.

That's when spending point in signs to unlock the Yrden secondary mode is very helpful. Weapon too damaged, let the Yrden trap kill the stuff around (will require lots of kiting though).

:biggrin:

Make sure you quicksave after defeating any type of major monster or boss type, but loot the body first!

The game auto-saves after major encounters, but upon loading an auto-save, sometimes the corpse of the defeated creature will be gone and any loot will be gone as well.

Back
Top Bottom