PoE Worth playing yet?

Pillars of Eternity
I am thinking of playing now for the first time with all the expansions. I gave a lot during the kickstarter so I am surprised I have waited this long. My question is can you make your party at an inn and not use NPC's? I played the Baldur Gates that way and I seem to get the most enjoyment making all my own characters. Will I miss too much story if I do this?

Well, in terms of min/max he probably is, simply because he's a priest, but personality wise..

Many players consider him one of their favorite character mostly because of his writing (and I guess people who like evil companions). He also end up high in least favorite polls though.

Poor Pallegina, I think she suffers from being hard to get (you can't recruit her right away the first time you meet her like everyone else). She's probably my fave character in the game (she's Cassandra Pentaghast without all the fangirling crap). Pallegina + Aloth in the party is rather funny, bring her in his personal quest too.

I am thinking of playing now for the first time with all the expansions. I gave a lot during the kickstarter so I am surprised I have waited this long. My question is can you make your party at an inn and not use NPC's? I played the Baldur Gates that way and I seem to get the most enjoyment making all my own characters. Will I miss too much story if I do this?

You can do that, but you will miss out on quite a bit of lore and flavor. Unlike BG, companions aren't auto-leveled when they join now (it was like that in v1.0 but was changed later).

Many players consider him one of their favorite character mostly because of his writing (and I guess people who like evil companions). He also end up high in least favorite polls though.

Poor Pallegina, I think she suffers from being hard to get (you can't recruit her right away the first time you meet her like everyone else). She's probably my fave character in the game (she's Cassandra Pentaghast without all the fangirling crap). Pallegina + Aloth in the party is rather funny, bring her in his personal quest too.

Yeah, and she's recruited through a somewhat hidden side quest. There's no indication it will lead to a companion. I actually missed her the first time I played through it.

The other companions are more or less "in your face" sooner or later, with the possible exception of Grieving Mother.

In addition to what azarhal said, I would also like to point out that companions you create yourself will start 1 level behind the main character, unlike recruitable NPCs which start out at exactly the same level as the main character. Basically, this means that you should recruit them right away, when a single level is worth about 2000 xp, which is a rather small amount near the end of the game.

Eh, are there any worthwhile mods for this, from first hand experience? Aside from portraits and IE mod.

Not that I know of, but I haven't spent a great deal of time looking for mods.

Just rolled my first cipher, an elf from a village in Old Vailia, exiled for her sheer beauty ( ;) )

6DakbkH.jpg

Stats seem good, skill is not in question, here we go!

You should all be so lucky. :p

Last edited:
I am having a ton of fun playing White March expansions of PoE. I was very critical of this game on my first playthrough (the year it was first released) but they have made many improvements. I find the combat to be much more entertaining than at first release, and I'm loving experimenting with different classes.

Having said that, I'm still day dreaming about something like this in the DnD setting with the DnD rule base. I want to kick down the doors of Cragholdt and do battle with an evil mindflayer, not some mindflayer want-a-be vithrack. Why oh why can't I have that? Please, someone make this happen. Maybe for the Watch's birthday celebration we can have a fundraiser to raise money for a kickstarter!

Anyway...if you haven't revisited PoE with the White March expansion content, I highly recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom