Twin Peaks Returns

I've yet to see the first one.

Does it hold up?

I'm not a fan of typical Lynch and his deliberately obscure style, so if it's one of those "imagine your own explanation" shows - I'll take a pass.

But so many people have said so many good things about it, that I'm curious.

I've also been curious about it. The original series is on NetFlix (Or at least it was the last time I checked) so I might finally give it a try.

I'm just not sure if I'll "get it" 24 years later. I know a lot of people hold it in high regard, but the 90's was a different era.

Well, I didn't see it when it aired originally, and saw it at least 10-15 years later.
And I believe it aged very nicely. It didn't age at all imo. It's timeless.

It's very much in Lynch's style, but I love his style. For example, Remedy used Twin Peaks as a strong influence for Alan Wake, so if you like that narative, you'll love this one. It does have obscure things, and plenty of symbolism and weird stuff, which is very usual in a Lynch movie. But it also has good humor, very likable characters. It's very dream-like and eerie.

I'd highly recommend it. And they also made a tie-in movie, Fire Walk with Me, which fills in some other unexplained things. Unfortunately, the series was cut short after 2 seasons, and plenty of stuff remained unexplained, which, from what I hear, they plan on filling in.

Good thing is, the storyline in the new series will also take place 25 or so years later. So they don't have to resort to trickery for the aging actors. Plus, they have the main actor already signed in.

I saw it a few years ago and liked it a lot. The first season was better than the second though. So for me they still worked. I am however not a fan of most of the David Lynch movies, so I have some reservations on whether this is a good idea.

I saw it a few years ago and liked it a lot. The first season was better than the second though. So for me they still worked. I am however not a fan of most of the David Lynch movies, so I have some reservations on whether this is a good idea.

I love or like most of his movies. Loved Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway and Twin Peaks. Liked Wild at Heart, Blue Velvet and Dune, and I disliked Inland Empire (very slow-paced and weird as hell, with almost no explanation. I think I didn't even make it through it all). I also kind of liked Eraserhead, but that's got to be one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen.

I highly recommend Lost Highway. It's one hell of a thrill ride.

Anyone else excited for this? :D

I saw the series when it first aired and was immediately hooked. I bought Twin Peaks books and magazines. I also got the soundtrack, Julee Cruise recordings and anything from Angelo Badalamenti that was available at that time. I dreamed of marrying the Log Lady.

That said, I tried watching the series again a couple of years back and I had to stop. Somehow the magic was gone. I couldn't figure out why I liked it so much years before.

So, I don't know how to feel about this. Part of me is all Yay! and the other part is skeptical. Guess I'll have to wait and see where Lynch is taking this.

I remember remarking to a roommate once that I'd have liked the Harry Potter movies more if they'd been directed by David Lynch.

I like his style, and I've never seen Twin Peaks, or even know what it's about. But since I like DL so much, I'm curious.

We used to watch this religiously in my college dorm room sophomore year.

I want you, rockin' back inside my heart
I want you, rockin' back inside my…

Last edited:
Twin Peaks is only the greatest television show of all-time ... :D

Amazing series. I bought the complete box set on VHS about 6 or so years ago and watched it through with my mom. We were absolutely hooked after the first episode and it just got better and better.

I love everything about that show. It's weird, it's creepy, it's got beautiful women in it and the music by Angelo Badalamenti is incredible.

Overall, it's a must-watch. Masterful stuff, really.

I've yet to see the first one.

Does it hold up?

I'm not a fan of typical Lynch and his deliberately obscure style, so if it's one of those "imagine your own explanation" shows - I'll take a pass.

But so many people have said so many good things about it, that I'm curious.

I've also been curious about it. The original series is on NetFlix (Or at least it was the last time I checked) so I might finally give it a try.

I'm just not sure if I'll "get it" 24 years later. I know a lot of people hold it in high regard, but the 90's was a different era.

I watched it all when it was originally on, and was a fan of Lynch's work already ... but my wife also enjoyed it (she is NOT much of a Lynch fan).

I rewatched a few episodes while traveling a couple of years ago (bought it on Amazon Instant Video), and recently have been watching it among with my kids ... and am amazed at how well most of it holds up over the years. There is a lot that was more striking 25 years ago because it hadn't ever been done before, but most of that remains interesting.

I watched it all when it was originally on, and was a fan of Lynch's work already … but my wife also enjoyed it (she is NOT much of a Lynch fan).

I rewatched a few episodes while traveling a couple of years ago (bought it on Amazon Instant Video), and recently have been watching it among with my kids … and am amazed at how well most of it holds up over the years. There is a lot that was more striking 25 years ago because it hadn't ever been done before, but most of that remains interesting.

Thanks.

Maybe I should have phrased my question better, though.

Is it "typical" Lynch, in that I have to make my own sense of it - or is there a plot that holds everything together if you look for it?

Thanks.

Maybe I should have phrased my question better, though.

Is it "typical" Lynch, in that I have to make my own sense of it - or is there a plot that holds everything together if you look for it?

Yes. ;)

I would say it shares more with 'Blue Velvet' than most of his other stuff ... there is plenty of 'wild-ass-crazy-shit' to be had for Eraserhead fans, but there was also plenty of character and plot development going on that made it much more popular than anything else he did ... LOADS of people who had never heard of Lynch were talking about it back in 1990 ...

Yes. ;)

I would say it shares more with 'Blue Velvet' than most of his other stuff … there is plenty of 'wild-ass-crazy-shit' to be had for Eraserhead fans, but there was also plenty of character and plot development going on that made it much more popular than anything else he did … LOADS of people who had never heard of Lynch were talking about it back in 1990 …

Cool... Guess I'll check it out ;)

I pretty much worshipped this show for years. I was a big Lynch fan long before the show, and that has never wavered. Movies like Blue Velvet paved the way for Twin Peaks, and several afterwards kept some elements in play. I even went to two of the fan meets and greets back in the 90's.

As long as Frost and Lynch are at the helm, all should be good. It just needs to be more like series one, as opposed to series two. The most recent dvd release does a great job of bringing a new viewer up to speed, imo.

It was only a matter of time. ;) Too many re-boots / re-makes - re-thingies these days … ;)

Since the last time this thread was bumped, David Lynch has declared that he would NOT be participating in the Twin Peaks reboot, apparently over money.

But wait! It now turns out that he WILL be participating in the Twin Peaks reboot, according to his Twitter.

And he'll be directing the entire thing.

Showtime announces:
This damn fine cup of coffee from Mark and David tastes more delicious than ever. Totally worth the extra brewing time and the cup is even bigger than we expected. David will direct the whole thing which will total more than the originally announced nine hours.

So that's nice.

Great news! I look forward to any amount of a new Twin Peaks. =)

Incredible if this happens. Twin peaks is definitely one of the best tv series i've seen :)

Lynch will more than likely be able to cut loose on Showtime like he never was able to on ABC. It has the potential to be awesome beyond words.

Back
Top Bottom