(Visual Novel) Let's Play - Katawa Shoujo!

01.jpg

Walking inside, I see that there about as many students here as there were on Tuesday, all the more evident from the almost total silence enveloping the room.

02.jpg

me.jpg
Ah, sorry Yuuko. Didn't mean to startle you.
yuuko.jpg
No, no. That's fine. It happens...a lot. I'm used to it by now.
yuuko.jpg
Um, can I help you?
me.jpg
It's okay, I think I know where everything is. Thanks anyway.

I suppose I'll grab another book or two while I'm here. There's not much else to do, and after reading so much during my stay i the hospital, it's become a hard habit to break.

I wander down to the fiction section towards the back of the library, scanning the bookshelves for anything that catches my eyes.

As I do, I look over to the counter where Hanako had been the last time I was here, not really expecting anything to come of it.

03.jpg

ED: Phew.

After an indiscernible amount of time spent perusing the aisles, I finally decide on a couple of books to get and slide them off the shelf.
With a minimum of fuss, I quickly walk over to the counter, check out my books and pop them into my bag as I walk out.

ED: Yes, checking out books that you never bothered to describe, nor read. 'Off screen reads' are so awesome in establishing characters.

By the time I leave the main building, sunset isn't too far away. A small trickle of students remain, but the majority have left; presumably to their homes and dorms.

04.jpg

05.jpg

ED: Finally, going down town, huh? Wish there's someone to go with -

06.jpg

ED: !

I quickly walk up to her, which seems to catch her attention without a word needing to be said.

me.jpg
Hi, Lilly.
07.jpg

lilly.jpg
...Hisao?
me.jpg
Yep, that's me.

She seems to have a good memory for voices. The fact that she actually remembered is a pleasant surprise.

lilly.jpg
Good evening. What brings you here?

Once again, she gives a small polite bow. And, once again, I reply in kind before realizing that I needn't do so.

me.jpg
Just going into town. You?
lilly-smile.jpg
My my, what a coincidence.

ED: Indeed.

me.jpg
Doing the same thing, eh?
lilly.jpg
Mm. I usually go shopping on Fridays.

She pauses for a moment, suddenly looking a little lost.

lilly.jpg
That said, Hanako usually comes into town with me...

ED: Chance!

Ah. Not lost, but worried. The two do seem to keep pretty close tabs on one another. It's kind of surprising that Hanako would just forget Lilly like that.

me.jpg
I noticed her reading in the library. She probably just got caught up in a book.

She lets out a small sigh of relief.

lilly.jpg
Thank you. She has a habit of doing that.
me.jpg
Avid reader?
lilly.jpg
Right. She doesn't like being around crowds of people, so reading away from everyone lets her relax a bit.

Although she probably didn't intend it, I can't help but grimace as I recall my first meeting with her.
Hardly wanting to bring it up, I remain silent as we quietly continue to walk down the quiet road.

Tack, tack. Tack, tack.

With the road bereft of cars and the students of Yamaku increasingly far behind us, the quiet rustling of the leaves and the measured tapping of Lilly's cane against the sidewalk are all that can be heard.

It's kind of nice, especially compared to the hustle and bustle of where I used to live.
Before I know it, I've relaxed so much that a loud yawn escapes before I can control it.

lilly.jpg
Tired?
me.jpg
Yeah, been running ragged these past few days.

That's an understatement, to be sure. Transferring into a different school would be bad enough, but nothing like this...

lilly.jpg
Wel, hopefully everything should settle down for you. The festival's got everyone in a spin right now, and you've been plopped right in the middle of things.

For a moment I hesitate, but given her apparent tolerance for frankness I decide to give my full thoughts.

me.jpg
I guess. Yamaku's kind of different though. I mean, the formality surrounding everything, the isolation around it...not to mention the most obvious difference.
me.jpg
It's kind of a whole different mindset. I suppose I'll get used to it though, in time.

She gives a matter-of-fact nod, apparently pleased with my answer. It feels almost as if she's included me in the flock of students she's shepherding, along with class 3-2 and Hanako.

ED: A blind Commander Shepard fanfic.. seems kinda hot right about now.

Well, not that I mind. It's nice to get the thoughts off my chest in any case.

lilly.jpg
Looking on the bright side, one could see it as a chance for a new beginning. You should cherish the ability to make new friends.

That's optimistic. Nonetheless, it's good to to have a positive attitude about such things, I suppose.

me.jpg
I guess that's a good take on it.

08.jpg

lilly.jpg
So, where in town were you going?

That's actually a pretty good question. I'd come in to buy food, but the layout of the place is still totally foreign to me.
I had intended to just wander around and see what I could find, but with sunset already approaching and nightfall not too far away, that doesn't seem very wise.

I'm going to have to ask her for directions. Again.

me.jpg
I was just going to get some food...but now that you mention it, I don't really know the way.
lilly-smile.jpg
Well now, this is quite lucky. I was just about to go to the convenience store myself.
me.jpg
Looks like I'll be in your care again, then. Thanks.

Together we walk to the store, my paces carefully slowed to remain beside her. Compared to my usual walking pace, hers is quite a bit slower. Not that it's without reason.

09.jpg

Without further ado, we make our way inside with a greeting from the counter.

10.jpg

ED: Isn't she already tagging along with us...or is it the other way around?

It takes a moment before I realize what she means.
Considering she wouldn't be able to read any of the labels, shopping without any help would be a big pain for her.
That said, I can't shake the feeling that she'd had this idea since I said I was coming here.

me.jpg
Sure. It'd be my pleasure.

I grab two well-used red baskets from the small stack beside the entrance, handing one to Lilly.
She lays it on the ground, putting her school bag in, retracting her cane and sliding it through the basket's handles before picing it back up in her right hand.

Wait, if she doesn't use her cane...

ED: *:grin:

Before I can complete the thought, she comes beside me and pinches the cuff of my uniform in her slender fingers.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Just wanted to say this is great. I read a Wot I Think article about this game over at RPS from Leigh Alexander. While I applaud what they are trying to do the game suffers from what I hate about Japanese games, talking too damn much. A little is fine, but going on and on and on is like trying to read one of my wall of text posts. It's just not fun :p

I've recently gave the Japanese anime and games another chance, I'm in freaking Asia after all, it's everywhere. I watched both H.O.T.D and Deathnote and have come to the conclusion I just don't get it. H.O.T.D. has a setting I can sink my teeth into, ZOMBIES, but it suffers from one thing, the freaking over-the-top main character crazy girls and bouncing breasts every 3 seconds.

And Deathnote is just horrid. I tried to like that thing. I watched the whole thing and come to the conclusion that Japanese talk too much. It goes on and on about not getting caught. How in the hell is anyone going to catch a person who can control a victim and kill them using a notebook? I can understand the premise, but what they had the main character doing in order not to get caught is just stupid. The whole time they tried to make him out to be some kind of genius when in fact someone with the IQ of an eggplant could have done a better job punishing criminals. Ehhhh, I just don't get it.

JRPGs or even just Japanese style games aren't quite so bad or at least the ones I decided to play. Cute Knight, Recettear and Embric of Wulfhammers Castle are all really good. It's the Final Fantasy style games that I hate. Not so much for the talky talky, but because it takes forever and a year to do anything. Plus, I just don't get the plots. They make no sense.

Keep up the great work. The only way I could enjoy this game is MST3K style and you got that in spades.

Anyway, sorry about the wall-of-text. I'm trying to make up for the lack of posts. :)

Oh don't worry. I love talking to people in the internet (Haha). I mirror this stuff all over the cyberspace so yeah, I'm getting lots of feedback. But yeah, you will see me hating this game ..or not exactly game, the protagonist, as we go on.

It's more like third person thing going...soon. I just can't relate to a douchebag like that.

Well, I'm still fascinated. I read your let's play as my morning cartoon.

Eh..you do? I'm sorry. I thought there was a general lack of response. I quit mirroring the posts I've made in the Codex. XD I'm sorry man. Here. watch my documentary of my buying a cake for Lilly on her birthday.

I finally reached home, extremely tired. Budget this, budget that. The incessant bombardment of demands from my boss echoes in my head. Tomorrow, the battle resumes. But for now...respite.
But I did something out of the ordinary today... what is this feeling?

What am I...carrying? A box? I slowly set it down in front of my desktop, pushing the keyboard aside before opening it.

01.jpg

02.jpg

A flash of memory at work. And it became clear.

03.jpg

Happy birthday, Lilly.

04.jpg

I remembered.

05.png

If you're still interested in following this mad cap adventure, do head to this mirror site, since RPGCodex is down at the moment...it has spoiler tags too, to make stuff easier. Really great site. (This is not goatse. Trust me.) MWHAHAHAHAA~

F13.net Katawa Shoujo

Back
Top Bottom