Mass Effect 3 story controversy

Gaxkang

Sentinel
Some folks on the BSN are upset that ME3 has
no happy endings

Or rather, has one but it's extremely hard to achieve, and even that is pretty grim. IMHO this is a questionable move - after all, ME is cartoon-grade escapism, not some gritty drama or current affairs program. It also seems:

the end ignores your love interest, unless it is Liara, Kaidan or Ash

Which again is puzzling given the make up of a large part of the fan base. I wonder, were these big story gambles a good idea for BioWare, or has the ME team joined their DA colleagues in losing touch with their core fans?

Do you like to read the last pages of a novel before you start it as well? Just asking.

I had no plans to read this particular novel whatsoever, because it was clear it had become a 'Gears of War lite'. But I do check the Bio forums now and again because I still have a passing interest in the franchise since the great job they did on ME1. And this is topic no1 on the Bio forums.

I have not read the spoilers, but yes, I have actually stopped playing a few games
when I had found out about a part of the story which I didn't like at all.

I felt like being cheated.

And that's something I can not tolerate.

I had been debating cancelling my order for ME3 so because of that I read the spoilers. I hate to think that I could invest 40 or more hours at $60 and I guess I would like to be rewarded and feel satisfied when I'm done. I like my escapism :)

My first thought was - this kills all replay value. Your choice is between a) dire b) really bad or c) depressing but hey! not the end of the world.

Hard core shooter fans are busy with MW3, Gears 3, BF3 etc etc. The story crowd are(/were) firmly with ME. So what does Greg and Ray decide is best? Destroy their sandcastles (to quote David Gaider when he was still smug about demolishing DA:O's approach for DA2).

It seems such a poor move, that I'm still skeptical about the authenticity of the leaks (especially given the photoshopped Hepler post about "witnessing a gay encounter" in ME3). Yet there are no denials on the forums by the devs, just a new message at the top of the ME forum saying that as of today they are clamping down on personal attacks against the mods and devs. Probably in anticipation of what the story fans will do when they finish…

Im not surprised as I already know what the endings are. Also refer to the post from a few weeks weeks before -

"We have a really talented team of writers. We go through iteration after iteration, making it the best and most satisfying we can," he said.

"It's going to make some people extremely happy. It's going to make some people angry. But that's part of it, right? To invoke the emotion putting some of these stories to bed will naturally bring up.

I'm disappointed but hey try getting the best ending its still not a happy ever after either.

Also here this is there policy change-

Important update to site rules & code of conduct :

Effective immediately there is a zero tolerance policy on any form of abuse towards staff, moderators or other Community members.

Anyone posting a personal attack on staff, moderators or other Community members will, at the sole discretion of staff or moderators, be banned from the BioWare Social Network without notice and is no longer welcomed.

While we continue to value all of our customers and fans, participation in the BSN and engaging with staff and like-minded community members is - to be abundantly clear - a privilege, and not a right. Members may continue to discuss and critique our games and products in a civil manner, but any form of discussion targeted at an individual will not be tolerated. New and existing members who cannot adhere to the code of conduct, or maintain a civil demeanor at all times, are encouraged instead to contact customer support for any game related issues they may have.

We have made important changes to the Site Rules and Code of Conduct, and recommend that all our users review them by clicking on the link at the top of this notice. By continuing to use this site you are accepting the Site Rules and agree to follow these rules.

Remember you cant criticize there game or any of the staff for there decisions on how the game came out. Its you not them. I'm getting flashbacks of the guy who lost access to his games after ranting about DA2 from EA.

So they don't want their forums overflowing with troll-rage? Oh no, those guys are WORSE THAN HITLER AND STALIN COMBINED.

So they don't want their forums overflowing with troll-rage? Oh no, those guys are WORSE THAN HITLER AND STALIN COMBINED.

Well prepare yourself then I cant wait for the backlash that is coming in 1 week. I love to see them tarnished and knocked down.:p Ah how the titans fall glorious.:boogie:

Last edited:
That would be interesting, but the mods are way ahead of the raging Talimancers. They were caught "off guard" by the reaction to DA2 and are very unlikely to make the same mistake again (ME is their last viable IP). Ban hammers and insta-thread deletions will keep the "drones" nicely compliant in the days following March 6.

So people are pissed off that fighting against the biggest threat the galaxy have ever faced
(they effectively whipped out everything multiple times) doesn't result in an happy ever after ending?
Wait we are talking about the BSN dwellers…nothing to see move along.

The TOS seem simply to rule out ad hominem attacks. The attacks on Stanley Woo and Jennifer Hepler were disproportionate and pretty unpleasant. They're not going to leave racist and sexist shit all over their company's message boards.

Couchpotato said:
Remember you cant criticize there game

Gaxkang said:
Ban hammers and insta-thread deletions will keep the "drones" nicely compliant

I don't see it. Taking a random post from their board which I found with zero effort:

Sloppy animations all round (walking, running, moving in the cover, teleporting from one cover point ot other), long cooldowns that aren't explained anywhere, lack of holster weapon and disappearing abilities on cutscene without any effect.

I don't like where mass effect series are going but I'm sure run and gun GoW fans will love it.

I think they are relatively tolerant of criticism personally (a separate issue is whether the criticism is valid - which I think on the whole it is, the day 1 DLC in particular will gain them some money and lose a shedload of goodwill).

Now I'm curious to play it just to see how bad it is. But yeah a couple devs have insulted their fanbase or people who didn't like DA2, but if you insult them you get banned. They're so full of crap. It will be interesting to see Bioware eventually fall.

I don't see it. Taking a random post from their board which I found with zero effort:

Agreed. That's why I used future tense and referred to March 6. If you recall the DA2 early launch days, the mods were locking down virtually every critical thread without even pretending to give a kosher reason (eg "thank you for your passive aggressive feedback. End of line" or "there is a constructive criticism thread already. No need to post separate opinions. Lockdown"). Until they realized they couldn't hold back the tide(al wave), and capitulated, with ensuing chaos. This time they know the story will be an issue for many, and are better prepared. Threads and posts are disappearing in a way I have not seen before (red redirects on bookmarked threads that have been airbrushed out). Not en masse … yet.

Agreed. That's why I used future tense and referred to March 6. If you recall the DA2 early launch days, the mods were locking down virtually every critical thread without even pretending to give a kosher reason (eg "thank you for your passive aggressive feedback. End of line" or "there is a constructive criticism thread already. No need to post separate opinions. Lockdown"). Until they realized they couldn't hold back the tide(al wave), and capitulated, with ensuing chaos. This time they know the story will be an issue for many, and are better prepared. Threads and posts are disappearing in a way I have not seen before (red redirects on bookmarked threads that have been airbrushed out). Not en masse … yet.
They also created another Dragon Age 2 General Discussion section for registered users (First one you didn't have to register). They thought that everyone who hated DA2 were just trolls who hadn't played the game. So they created a second section for "registered users." It was silly how they tried to split the community, and it didn't stop people from criticizing the game in both sections.

I did play the original Mass Effect, and I enjoyed it, and I started Mass Effect 2, but my xbox broke. Now I was considering going back to ME1 and playing through the whole trilogy in a row when ME3 is out, but if I know I can't get a satisfying ending, then I don't think I would want to invest the time and money into it. A happy, rosey ending may be too predictable and cheesey to some people, but the whole series has been built around and marketed on the choices and consequences of the player, and the big impact they have on the story. Given, this, and that there are supposed to be multiple endings, I feel Bioware is cheating their fans a bit, if they don't give at least one chance of a happy-ish ending.

I agree. I'm not going to complain about them telling a Ragnarok story. In fact, the thing that I loved the most about the first game was how raw and mysterious the whole universe was. In ME2 they went all fan service and I hated it. Everything was too safe and on rails. If ME3 will be as raw as ME1, I will be back on board, and putting humanity up against something that cannot be beat, that cannot be understood, would be a wonderful ending in my mind.

Well, at least in ME2 they didn't have that horrible elevator in the new Normandy; instead they introduced the worst minigame I've still finished with orbital mining exploration. They are so advanced they can span the galaxy, but they can't even build a computer that can move a scanner in little circular motions around a planet and self scan areas of interest? Just ridiculous.

As others have said the reaction is pretty foolish.

First, this is kind of touted as a war story. Maybe it is that I lack the hormones to buy into war stories that aren't grim as hell, but allowing a lollipops and rainbows ending to a game about war and violence would be far more infuriating and offensive than not doing so.

Second, the good guys are fighting an all out war against genocidial space Cthulhus who not only have turned far more galactic civilizations into small notches in their tentacles than wars both big and small the good guys have fought if put together but also have controlled the technological, and maybe genetic, development of their victims. It's less of a "Why not happily ever after?" case, and more of a "How can it end well at all?" one.

My suspension of disbelief is already kind of collapsing because I am quite sure after the end boss dies and the credits roll there will be no images of Reapers victory dancing among the smoking ruins of the universe while the narrator tells us how in the end everyone got eaten all the same.

Tartarus. Grinding the bleep out off Arqa 17-24.
Oh no, those guys are WORSE THAN HITLER AND STALIN COMBINED.

Genetic Engineering ? Ettins ?

The somewhere mentiones German previe of the magazine "Gamestar" speaks of a "very moving" ending. (and no, I haven't read the spoilers yet).

First, this is kind of touted as a war story. Maybe it is that I lack the hormones to buy into war stories that aren't grim as hell, but allowing a lollipops and rainbows ending to a game about war and violence would be far more infuriating and offensive than not doing so.

My personal problem with "war stories" in the "gaming industry" is that there is nothing but.

Please ive me just ONE recent example of a non-war related non-indie recent single player mode offline role-playing game for the PC !

The result from Drakensang 2 is clear : Non-war stories just won't sell. Instead, non-war stories just make the developing company go bancrupt.

This might not be the real truth behind the failure, but this is the messsage that arrives at pople.

Only role-playing games incorporating a HUGE amount of war, laughter and violence sell.

And this is imho heritage from the Action-RPG sub-genre. Action-RPGs without combat ? That's impossible.

And because the younger game-playing generations are used to nothing but Action-RPGs, a) non-action RPGs won't sell, b) non-action RPGs will be looked upon as something inferior aka "this is for whussies & whiners !"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom