DA:O Wynne Quest Spell

Dragon Age: Origins

Dasale

SasqWatch
I wasn't sure of what choice to do for a Wynne level up so I tried use the automatic level up to see what the game suggest.

And I saw an ugly bug, at automatic level up Wynne learned a new quest spell (probably named Vessel of the Spirit) that I can't see if I do a manual level up.

By curiosity I did manual level up to choose attributes increase and then used automatic to get the quest spell.

But its behavior is rather weird. It's a sustained but the game (let say Wynne) stop using it for some reason, and this spell stuns Wynne a little time when it is stopped.

I'm not sure what trigger the stop, if its a time limit or if its the end of a fight state or both. I quote the wiki explains nothing about that.

You automatically get that spell if you finished Wynne's quest. I rarely use it but its description mentioned the user will be "stunned" for a short while after using the spell.

Then the bug is even more weird I get the spell before to have even started her quest. For me why/when it is stopped isn't clear. It's not a standard behavior of sustained spells and the description explains nothing.

You don't have to do Wynne's quest before you get that spell; something else triggers it, I'm not sure exactly what. You usually get it during a huge fight where she almost dies. It's normal for her to be stunned after she's used it - please read the spell description.

I personally did not like the spell very much, and since you'll get it automatically via the game anyway, I suggest you rather do a manual level up since you'll be losing out on a spell otherwise.

There are tons of spells to choose from, - I used both Wynne and Morrigan in my first playthrough, and I hadn't managed to acquire all the spells available by the end of the game.

Keep in mind that you can get some cool spell combos, you might want to take that into account. Here's a Wiki of the combos:
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Spell_Combinations

For instance, I got those glyphs for Wynne; - they tend to be very useful. :)

BTW, that stun after effect goes away after you complete her personal quest. However, it has a nasty knock down effect on everything nearby when activated, including party members!

I have read the description but the problem is that this sustained spell seems to not work like other sustained spells and the description quote nothing.

I noticed multiple differences:
  • If I add it in the tactics it won't be activated with this setup. For example if the condition if always true it isn't activated like another sustained spell.
  • If I remove it from the tactics setup Wynne will continue use it, probably at beginning of fights. I suppose (not tried) that disable fully tactics will not allow Wynne use it but I use this setup only very very rarely.
  • It isn't deactivated like other sustained spells. For other sustained spells they are always sustained if they are first in the tactics list. At the possible exception of mana draining for some reason involving mana too low to maintain the sustained spell. But this spell is deactivated for some other reason, perhaps time limit or end of a fight.

At its activation or during its use I haven't noticed the knock down effect, at least not on the party but I could be wrong (I'd be surprised to not have noticed that).

For the automatic level up giving the spell when you can get it for free later (I hadn't understood in previous posts that it was for free, thanks to point it). That's weird and too late I already lost a spell use, too far back in saves. It's quite possible that now I already have it through a bug that's I'll get more bugs around Wynne for example with her personal quest, weird, I hope not.

Currently I'm using only Wynne, two mages is an interesting option and powerful as the game seems a bit unbalanced in favor to mages. I tried with Wynne the Arcane Warrior specialization but again it's not fully clear how everything works. I'll open another thread for this point.

I know she learned it during one of the battles we had during traveling from A to B.
She just uses it during a cut scene then commits how using it too much will most likely kill her. I never bothered trying to activate it after that. But that is how she learned it in all the playthroughs I have done so far.

The knockdown effect only happens after the upgrade from completing her personal quest. Before that, that un-upgraded spell/talent has no knockdown effect.

That spell is incredible. Makes Wynne quite overpowered in my opinion, as it restores her to 100% health and mana, in addition to giving her a substantial spellpower boost. The only drawback is the weakened state she experiences afterwards, but if you use it about halfway through difficult battles (when she's out of mana), she'll easily last the rest of the fight before becoming weakened.

Well now I know the spell Cleansing Aura constantly drains some mana, I understand all the unclear effects I got. Too many descriptions are wrong, in particular spells, that's weird and confusing.

Something strange I had for a while. Everytime Wynne died during a fight, she would come back to life once. Then, eventually, it stopped. I have no idea why it began or ended.

Yes, from time to time, Wynne will come back to life without injury or anything. I haven't seen anything in-game explaining it, but I suspect it's due to the spirit living inside her. Either that or it's a bug.

Yes I saw that resurrect thing too but also got her died and not resurrected and almost sure it was her first death in the fight. I also saw her injured multiple times. And yes the auto res perhaps stopped totally at some point.

Yes, it only happens from time to time, though I have no idea what triggers it.

Back
Top Bottom