Ubisoft - Resistance to DLC Fading

As long as DLCs are an optional addition to the game with a decent price-for-content ratio I am totally fine with them.
When has a DLC ever been compulsory? Personally I like both the value and longevity they add to the game and the fact that I support my favourite companies when buying DLC, I just don't see how anyone could be against the value they bring and how enriching they can be to the experience. Like Bethesda's DLCs for example that put the crappy expansion packs of old to shame with their vast amount of new content.

Last year, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag launched alongside a handful of "Time Saver" downloadable content packs. For $1 or $2, players could stock up on in-game resources, or reveal the locations of the game's many collectibles and activities without the need for actual exploration. That sort of perk would have been freely accessible through cheat codes in previous generations, and it's not hard to imagine the uproar charging for them would have caused in the early days of the last generation of systems.

Time savers? Playing video games is a waste of time. Saving on wasting? Dont waste, you will save. It shows what point in cultural activity video games have reached, people play them because they culturally must play them.

This whole stuff is introduced as neutral.
Yet before, people were offered already paid for (they were never offered for free, contrary to the claim) options to play the game as they wish. It appealed to them.
Now they must pay an extra for it. Clearly a case for demand creation. Something must be changed so that the appeal is restored.
Free to p(l)ay games have solved that part by loading up the gameplay with so many bottlenecks that paying up a few bucks soon turn out an evidence.

When has a DLC ever been compulsory? Personally I like both the value and longevity they add to the game and the fact that I support my favourite companies when buying DLC, I just don't see how anyone could be against the value they bring and how enriching they can be to the experience. Like Bethesda's DLCs for example that put the crappy expansion packs of old to shame with their vast amount of new content.

With that I essentially meant some Day 1 DLCs which make the impression that you need to have them to be able to enjoy the main game. One example would be the "Ranger Mode DLC" which was called "the way it was meant to be played".
That stuff should be included in the main game.

Back
Top Bottom