Top 10 Console RPG's of all time

txa1265

SasqWatch
According to GameLemon:

First, though, a word about games that are NOT on this list. For starters, any game less than a year old. As much as games like Final Fantasy XII and Rogue Galaxy seem really awesome, it's hard to judge a game in this kind of context when it's so new. Then, games like The Legend of Zelda and Okami, which do feature epic quests and a degree of character stat growth, but are still primarily adventure games, not RPGs. Similarly, action games like the recent Castlevania titles, which might have RPG-like experience and equipment systems, but are still not really RPGs haven't been included either. And finally, while there is at least one strategy-RPG on this list, we opted not to include strategy-RPGs like Ogre Battle or Fire Emblem, where the strategy really takes precedence over the RPG aspects. I do love those kind of games, but they really start to breach into a different genre. What IS on this list are games released on U.S. consoles that I think really contributed something to the evolution of the genre, and as a matter of fact, all fifteen games listed here are just as much fun to play today as they were when they were released. And just for the hell of it (and also because like any good gamer, I like to cheat a little!) there are also a handful of honorable mentions. These were games we felt weren't quite up to snuff with the other entries on the list, but were important enough for one reason or another to warrant a mention.

Interesting stuff ... of course, through the inclusion of Final Fantasy Tactics he is splitting hairs on the s-RPG thing. Is it really more RPG and less strategy? Not that I noticed ... I think he just wanted it on the list ... ;)

Of interest - KotOR is represented ... but by The Sith Lords rather than the original. Um ... why?!?!

I preferred KotOR II over KoTOR, too (heh, sounds weird if you read it aloud).
And I'm really glad they included Kingdom Hearts.

And I'm really glad they included Kingdom Hearts.

I liked Kotor II better too, except of course for the ending. Up until that point I thought it was really fun.

I know my review of KotOR II broke it down into the beginning, middle & end, with a final 4.5/5 assessment:
The first 20 or so hours of KotOR 2 are some of the best gaming experiences I've ever seen.

But as I remark, in the 'mid game' stuff starts to break down while still being good, but at the end-game it is clear that it wasn't properly finished. For me that makes it a great game that is also a major disappointment.

Never could get into those tactics games.

Fighting that huge Scotsman might be interesting though.

Not sure if I could even think of 10 good console RPG's (biased, I know)

The middle games in the Final Fantasy series were incredible though. FFIV, V, VI, and to a lesser degree, VII.

"The first 20 or so hours of KotOR 2 are some of the best gaming experiences I've ever seen."

Even despite the fact that the Peragus and Telos were the most boring levels of gaming history?

I did play through FF7 when it came out and thought it was very good. Haven't played much of the earlier ones.

In another thread, I insisted that KOTOR 2 one of the worst RPGs ever, and I'll stick by that. I loved it too up to the end. It was a ton of fun and was shaping up to be a nice sequel to a game that was also fun.

But I can't ignore the ending. To me it was just too disppointing. Does anyone remember the comments at the game's original forums? There were a lot of angry fans, and I was one of them.

They've been tight-lipped, but if Team Gizka actually comes through with the fixes they've been attempting, that will change everything. Until then, there's no love from me for the game.

@Mike: No offense, but how could you have given it such a high rating? Don't readers rely on reviewers to warn them about such things?

In another thread, I insisted that KOTOR 2 one of the worst RPGs ever, and I'll stick by that. I loved it too up to the end. It was a ton of fun and was shaping up to be a nice sequel to a game that was also fun.

Couldn't you just wipe the ending from your memory and adhere to the saying 'the way is the goal'? ;)

oo, I thought we would make our own top console games in this thread?? is there another thread for that??

If we're making a top console games list, my only vote is for Crystalis. That's my favorite console RPG ever. Am I showing my age?

If we're making a top console games list, my only vote is for Crystalis. That's my favorite console RPG ever. Am I showing my age?

Not really I remember 3d monster maze and that's something like 8 years older than that game.

Thinking of the oldies, I really liked Wild Arms (PS1) and Chrono Trigger (SNES). I also liked Illusion of Time/Gaia for the SNES, but that one didn't qualify as a full-fledged RPG. I'll list it nevertheless.

Nice mention on Crystalis. That's one of my favorites too.

There's a lot of good stuff on that list, but a lot of stuff missing. It's nice that he didn't do an automatic FFVII for #1. I loved FFIV and VI way more. Objectively, Chronotrigger may be one of the best realized games on that list. I think either Romancing Saga II or III would be good additions as well.

Thinking of the oldies, I really liked Wild Arms (PS1) and Chrono Trigger (SNES). I also liked Illusion of Time/Gaia for the SNES, but that one didn't qualify as a full-fledged RPG. I'll list it nevertheless.

I still have original copies of both of the first 2 games you mention, never played Illusion of Time/Gaia though.

Wild Arms had great music and cinematics, it was an easy game, but it had some great boss battles. It was the first RPG I ever bought for my ps1

I always liked the Ultima III version for the NES. I had never finished it as a kid on my C64, and then after I moved onto a PC, I didn't have it anymore, but I bought it for the NES and loved it!

Back
Top Bottom