After Reset - Kickstater Relaunch Today

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Black Cloud Studios Richard Nixon sent me news he has relaunched his kickstarter for After Reset with a new modest goal of $35,000. He also has a new update he posted.

First here is a recap of the game for new backers.

Hey, guys! I bet many of you already know me. My name is Richard, and I’m the creator and game director of After Reset RPG.

Here I’d like to tell you a little about our game, which we have been working on for more than a year.

You know, we were all really upset by the cancellation of Fallout: Van Buren, the cancellation of Knights of the Old Republic III, cancellation of Neverwinter Nights III - while instead the video game industry has just - flooded us with "fast-food" MMOs, - trying to fake us, mere gamers, with their brands. So, being similar minded RPG players like you, we were tired of being disappointed, tired of waiting for miracles - so we decided to fill in the gap ourselves. We wanted to relive the emotions and epic stories from old school RPG’s and decided to make our own miracle. And I’m sure that together we CAN build that theme park! With blackjack, caravans, and hookers, of course! :)

With these things in mind, After Reset is based on three pillars of design from the good old days. You can expect:

• A POST-APOCALYPTIC ATMOSPHERE, developed with a focus on sci-fi realism and more locations to explore than Fallout 1 and 2 combined (for more info, check out our concept arts and screenshots, and watch for updates here on KickStarter).

• A NONLINEAR STORY, with the freedom to choose between a ton of branches and endings which influence the whole setting - even beyond the game you play.

• HARDCORE MECHANICS in the best traditions of D&D and SPECIAL, we have created our own system called SACPIC (for more info, check that section of the forum and coming updates), where you will be able to customize every aspect of your character. Of course, you’ll also be able to choose from a list of pre-made ones if you just want to jump in and play!

Drooling yet? :) Well… we’re just getting started.
More information.

Backed it the first time, will back it again.

Seems a game i like, alot. I certainly will support them.
Good kickstart page by the way.

Isn't this the game that had a $900,000 goal in the first campaign? O_O
So... I haven't checked the KS page yet but... going from 900K to 35K...

Oh, I see now. Just for the prologue? I don't know about this...

So… I haven't checked the KS page yet but… going from 900K to 35K…

Oh, I see now. Just for the prologue? I don't know about this…
It's the only way to get the game made. Without a publisher there is no way for a small indie studio to get a million dollars. Especially on kickstarter.

Backed.

I'm still quite unsure if it works out, but for me it's worth the risk.

So… I haven't checked the KS page yet but… going from 900K to 35K…

Oh, I see now. Just for the prologue? I don't know about this…

Just like Wasteland this game cannot be made from 900K that's why 35K for a Prologue is a good choice. This will be ready fast and if people like it and buy it on Steam = Full Success: development on the main game can go on with possibly another kickstarter.

There is simply no other way. Check out the miserable fate of Afterfall: Insanity, they wanted to create the perfect Fallout game in 3D, but they could not.

Backing this!

They were honest the first time and said they needed 900,000 to do the game right.
They are obviously hoping for more than 35k and also more on early access. I'd say its a risk and hope they earn enought to do the game right. I'm still on the fence about this one.

Backed the first time, when they were asking 900.000 $ but now that they only ask 35.000 $ I'm going to pass because there's no way they can finish the game for that price (25 times less !!!).
I recently backed Forsaken Fortress, which succeeded to get 120.000 $ and the game made for this money is not good (I mean it could be really good but too many bad bugs despite having spent 60% on dev salaries... and Chinese ones so this can pay for a lot of dev time there).
So I can't imagine the crappy game they are going to release with only 35.000 $ !
For me it's simply not possible to do a good RPG game for that kind of money... but if I'm wrong I'd gladly buy it full price at release.

Backed the first time, when they were asking 900.000 $ but now that they only ask 35.000 $ I'm going to pass because there's no way they can finish the game for that price (25 times less !!!).
They don't want to do the whole game within this campaign. It's only the prologue.

I recently backed Forsaken Fortress, which succeeded to get 120.000 $ and the game made for this money is not good (I mean it could be really good but too many bad bugs despite having spent 60% on dev salaries… and Chinese ones so this can pay for a lot of dev time there).
So I can't imagine the crappy game they are going to release with only 35.000 $ !
For me it's simply not possible to do a good RPG game for that kind of money… but if I'm wrong I'd gladly buy it full price at release.

Results may vary. . . Seriously, Most people who make a game on kickstarter don't seem to ask for the amount of money they need to do a game right. There are developers who are more or less willing to make a game for "free." And most people putting stuff on kickstarter have already done a lot of unpaid work so they have something to show on it. There are those like Guido Henkel, who draw the line and say "no, with this amount it's not worth it for me to make a game." And there are those who take the money and then come to the conclusion they can't do the game right with what they have and deliver a product that is partly finished. I'd also like to mention that this happens with published games as well. Look at Blood Knights, for example, which was released with only a portion of the planned content. Or Chaos Chronicles, which isn't being made because the funds ran out, or the Realms of Arkana remake where the developers delivered an unfinished game, only to work many months after the funds ran out to get the game finished (presumabely on their own time).

Back to this game, though:

They need 900,000 $
They are hoping for a minimum of 35k (most definately for more, but they are willing to continue on with this amount.)
They raised I think 10-15k already with paypal, if I remember correctly.
They are hoping to get lots of money through early access.
The question is what for the developer is the pain barrier. When is enough enough and when does one decide development can't go on.

And there are those who take the money and then come to the conclusion they can't do the game right with what they have and deliver a product that is partly finished. I'd also like to mention that this happens with published games as well. Look at Blood Knights, for example, which was released with only a portion of the planned content. Or Chaos Chronicles, which isn't being made because the funds ran out, or the Realms of Arkana remake where the developers delivered an unfinished game, only to work many months after the funds ran out to get the game finished (presumabely on their own time).

The game that I remember the most for this was Lionheart. It was a wonderful, wonderful game for the first quarter. Then they ran out of money and the rest of the game was basically combat encounters with zero story. It was an epic fail.

Looks good. I hope 35k is enough to actually do it.

Hi guys, much obliged for your support!
I see you pledges on KS :)

The question is what for the developer is the pain barrier. When is enough enough and when does one decide development can't go on.
Just dont forgot that I begin to work on this game just for myself initially. This game? this IP is my "baby" so I won't drop it, won't kill it or cripple it for money anyways. Your support just helps this games grows faster and gets better.

The game that I remember the most for this was Lionheart. It was a wonderful, wonderful game for the first quarter. Then they ran out of money and the rest of the game was basically combat encounters with zero story. It was an epic fail.

I completely agree with you. It would have been better if they had cut down the combat and had a better, shorter game. I still enjoyed it for what it was though.

Aye backed both times, it'll definitely be a success this time. :)

Daniel.

*fistbump*

Back
Top Bottom