Pillars of Eternity - Thoughts & Impressions

Why, oh why can't I remain stealthed on a rogue if nearby party members engage a target. This pretty much forces a rogue into 1v1 scenarios if you want to use backstab at all.

It's stuff like this that makes the combat a real annoyance at times. Up there with spells such as charm categorized as 'combat-only'.

You can always use tactical positioning for optmizing backstabs. If you keep your rogue separated from the tanks you can maneuver him to flank opponents. You could even customize the formations to better suit a backstabbing motion. In my opinion, rogues keeping stealth status in combat feels cheap.
What I usually do is: engage first with my fighter then knock the target down, finishing it off with the rogue. alternatives are hobbling or petrifying the target. Really there is no end to the options you have for backstabbing.
Personally, I loved the flexibility and variety of playstyles allowed in combat. I've actually had to give the combat situations thought and consideration.

You can't backstab unless you send your rogue in alone, at which point he gets the agro of everything in the room. Something I haven't tried yet is casting some form of invisibility on him during combat... but that seems like a crutch for something that's always been self-contained within the class.

You can't backstab unless you send your rogue in alone, at which point he gets the agro of everything in the room. Something I haven't tried yet is casting some form of invisibility on him during combat… but that seems like a crutch for something that's always been self-contained within the class.

I was pretty sure I was seeing backstab damage from my rogue simply from flanking; the talents that let you disengage and move around more easily help you capitalize on this.

That was likely sneak attack damage, which you get from flanking. Backstab requires an additional talent and to be "invisible".

Why, oh why can't I remain stealthed on a rogue if nearby party members engage a target. This pretty much forces a rogue into 1v1 scenarios if you want to use backstab at all.

It's stuff like this that makes the combat a real annoyance at times. Up there with spells such as charm categorized as 'combat-only'.

Interestingly enough there was a forum thread on the POE forums about this, as a lot of people wanted this. Initially there was no combat stealth at all. They added the ability for rogues to disappear in combat, due to backer pressure. Tim Caine apparently said stealth transition into combat was very difficult to program correctly and could lead to all sort of bugs, and so they chose to do it as it is now. It was a late addition, and probably not ideal.

…2 uses per rest. So, not one but two talent points used up on simply allowing rogues to backstab without getting mauled to death. And only twice per rest.

Good atmosphere.
Good story.
Good writing.
Slipshod combat mechanics.

Bad rogue combat mechanics perhaps. I have often selected the rogue/thief character type in past games, but always have run into the issue you speak of. Too tedious getting the most out of that type in combat. Happy with my druid character, no overlap so far with companions in the early game as well.

I've come to learn to play games the way they were designed, not the way I wish they were designed. :thumbsup: Having this viewpoint helps me enjoy games more. :)

For the damage they can put out, I'm quite happy with my rogue. Basically, one opponent dies with every special attack that she uses. When you factor in the utility they also provide, well, I have no complaints.

I've come to learn to play games the way they were designed, not the way I wish they were designed. :thumbsup: Having this viewpoint helps me enjoy games more. :)

If you can do that, doesn't that mean you enjoy every single game in the world - and equally so? If you can appreciate every single design decision and enjoy it - then why are not all games the same for you?

After posting here for years and reading the comments every day, I'm not so sure that I'm just like the rest of you when it comes to RPGs. :thinking: For better or worse. :S

Meaning he is just like the rest of us, he just ignores it often ;)

LMAO!

I have never in my life heard Dart refer to himself as a part of "us". His rhetoric usually puts him far above and beyond. ;)

I'm gonna file this one away!

If you can do that, doesn't that mean you enjoy every single game in the world - and equally so? If you can appreciate every single design decision and enjoy it - then why are not all games the same for you?

I would say that he does enjoy ever single RPG game that he plays. He is a very upbeat in almost every thing I have read of his.

As for your last comment I don't really see the point to it, just because he can find something to enjoy or how to enjoy a game doesn't mean they have to be the same nor mean the same. Do they?

I enjoy most RPGS I play because I love RPGs. As long as it has some RPG elements that I enjoy, I will probably like the game. :giggle:

No RPG elements? No like. :D

I'd also say - as an aside - that enjoying everything you play is less of a disorder than hating everything you play. Not only is that unhappy, it's pathological.

And I can think of some people on here to which that applies. *peers around*

Back
Top Bottom