Space Rangers 1&2...

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
About to grab Space Rangers 1&2 off GoGamer, just had a couple of questions.

How good is the original? Should I bother playing it, or just go directly to SR2?

Also, anyone ever have an issue with the Starforce copy protection that SR2 uses?

Don't bother with SR1. SR2 is a bigger, better SR2 with an improved UI.

I've never had any problem with SF but you can avoid it anyway. Install the game but don't start it, replace .exe with...ahem...appropriate version, off you go. Starforce is installed when the game is first run, not before. Use SF Remover if you are nervous and want to check.

Or buy the Impulse version, which has no DRM.

Thanks Dhruin, I wasn't aware of that fact concerning Starforce, that information comes in handy.

I'm going to order SR 1&2 + Reboot on Monday.

I think you'll enjoy SR2, JDR. There's a lot to do and lots of different ways to do it. That's generally a good recipe.

Ok, now I'm $&@#*%$ pissed off!!

Went to place my order, and GoGamer is now showing SR:Reboot as "out of stock".

Maybe it's better that I didn't rush out and get it after all. I'm playing the demo for Space Rangers 2 right now, and I'm having a mixed reaction to it.

I don't mind the turn-based space map too much, but I almost fell asleep when my character got thrown in jail for 79 days. The novelty of the text-based gameplay wore thin after about 15 minutes for me.

I think what I'm really craving right now is more King's Bounty....

The rewards for the various minigames (one arcade-ish and a couple text-based) can be pretty significant but I don't remember any that you're required to do.

I can understand the King's Bounty thing as that's my current obsession of choice, but it's not without some flaws either. The game is clearly skewed toward paladins since nearly every skill takes mind runes (useful skill or otherwise), but I'm way too deep in the game to start over now. I just have to live with a bad decision. There's not enough sources of human troops beyond the first region to make the leadership advantages that are the majority of the warrior tree actually pay off (I'm ready to head to the elves at this point).

Anyway, it's not my intent to derail the thread. Go play SR2. If you've got a spreadsheet-RPGer bone in your body, doing the min/max balancing act on your ship's equipment will bring you much joy.

I can understand the King's Bounty thing as that's my current obsession of choice, but it's not without some flaws either. The game is clearly skewed toward paladins since nearly every skill takes mind runes (useful skill or otherwise), but I'm way too deep in the game to start over now. I just have to live with a bad decision. There's not enough sources of human troops beyond the first region to make the leadership advantages that are the majority of the warrior tree actually pay off (I'm ready to head to the elves at this point).

I played as a Paladin when I went through King's Bounty, I plan on doing a Warrior whenever I get around to playing it again. To be honest with you though, I pretty much played my Paladin as a Warrior anyways. I never used magic, except to counter spells by enemy bosses, and I always chose leadership for my bonus when it was offered. I also worked the hell out of the Rage Box, which really offers some cool stuff as the game goes on. As far as troop sources go, I had the same problems with a Paladin, so that issue isn't Warrior specific. I think it's because the game really wants you to mix up your troops, and not just recruit from the same race for the entire game. You'll reach points in the game where those sources will be replenished though, with greater numbers than they originally offered.

Anyway, it's not my intent to derail the thread. Go play SR2. If you've got a spreadsheet-RPGer bone in your body, doing the min/max balancing act on your ship's equipment will bring you much joy.

Actually, you what I kept thinking about when I was playing that demo? The X-universe games! If I'm going to spend most of my time flying a ship around, and trading goods to earn credits and upgrade my ship, I'd rather do it in real-time 3D.

Back
Top Bottom