Risen 3: Titan Lords - New Trailer Released

Yes, both big German print mags, PC Games and Gamestar, have received review copies and published beta tests in their latest issues (at news stands this upcoming Wednesday - subscribers got the mag early).

By the way the full list of Gamestar's pros and cons according to a poster at the WoR forums is:

Pros:
+ Huge, inviting game world
+ Lots to explore
+ Pirate kitsch massively toned down
+ Motivating character development system

Cons:
- Still many clipping errors
- Lame story
- Flaws in the combat system

Gamestar's Jochen Gebauer's conclusion reads:
Risen 3 misses true greatness by at least a decent story but I am still appeased because PB focused on what they do best: Create a unique world like in no other game. A little rough around the edges but also with lots of charm and a loving attention to detail. I can not deny a certain level of fatigue and it is really high time PB tried something fresh for their next game. Or refresh something old. Like Gothic 4, yes that'd be it.
By the way, there is some conflicting info why there is no score attached to the reviews yet.
Jochen Gebauer from Gamestar said in the article that they got their review copy too late for a comprehensive review.
PC Games' Marc Brehme on the other hand said there was an embargo and that no one was allowed to post reviews prior to release.
Finally, his colleague Peter Bathge said that the editor of the beta article Stefan Weiß spent way beyond 100 hours with Risen 3 (he played through all three guilds). According to Peter, the review is pretty much complete but since the game is still suffering from technical issues like clipping errors they did not want to issue a final score yet.

So... kinda like three people and four reasons why the reviews don't have a score yet ;) .

Sounds pretty good, I guess. I wonder what they mean by lame story. If the actual plot is crap - I can live with it, but if the NPC dialogue is bad, it tends to annoy me a lot more.

I'm very sure that with "lame story" (in German "lahme Geschichte") he's talking about the actual plot. If he was talking about the dialogs he would have used a different wording.

As long the story is good enough to encourage exploring the gameworld I have no problems with a weaker plot.

Thanks for that info' Moriendor,

PB are well known (or should that be 'not so well known'?) for their hidden storyline ideology (see G1 & G3) where gamers are not given the storyline logic handed to them on a plate, they have to work for the solutions. Could R3 be yet another no hand holding failure?

If it could ever be confirmed beforehand (which would be almost impossible) that there was a hidden solution, i might just be tempted to bite the cherry.

I suspect in truth that the critical storyline once again will be hidden (unsuspectingly interwoven) into the dialogue and quest sequences etc' because of the lack of understanding by the reviewer.

Currently waivering on this because the plot to me is everything!

As long the story is good enough to encourage exploring the gameworld I have no problems with a weaker plot.

Yep, Piranha Bytes games have never had a great plot or perfect combat. It's the world, atmosphere, and music that have always made them great for me.

If the story is equal to or better than Skyrim then I am happy.

As DArtagnan mentioned above, I can also live with bad story but it an crappy NPCs that annoys me. Come to think of it, R1 had lame story as well but the interplay between the factions and stuff kept it mildly interesting.

Anyway it looks like I need to wait for W3 for good story and NPCS and I just hope they also do the world as well as Gothic/Risen games.

The Witcher games have the advantage of being derived from a professional book series.

I really liked how Gothic started: There actually wasn't an overall plot, other than joining one of the camps to survive in the colony. Normally, open world games suffer from the classic "you have to SAVE THE WORLD NOW!!.. but feel free to take your time" problem, but Gothic never had that issue. I hope Risen 3 has a similar approach, and if it does, I can be quite forgiving. It doesn't have to be a tight, Obsidian like story.

I just want to morph into a bug, enter the Gothic1like camp (okay, apparently no such camp in R3, but something like that) and loot 3874569365834 pots of health, mana and perma +1 stats!
Who needs a better story? :evilgrin:

Back
Top Bottom