COC: Dark Corners of the Earth

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet
If you missed this gem of a game, Steam has it now for 12 bucks. Hard to pass up, though I'd warn you, on a recent play through on a system using Vista there was a game stopping bug near the middle of the game. Wide spread issue on the boards that can only be bypassed by using a save game created on a system running XP.

This is one of my favorite games ever, of all time. It's amazing, and I'm sad the company went under and they never made the other games they discussed.

Got this a little while back. I'm in the factory section if I remember correctly.

I'm rather surprised to hear CoC spoken of in such high regard, the game is mostly mediocre imho.

I remember how intensely I followed the game for 2+ years before it was released, only to be greatly disappointed by the final product.

I enjoyed CoC very much. It's an atmospheric shooter mixed with adventure-game elements, and it takes it's story very seriously. Ofcourse, it's not without downsides, the graphics were behind when the game was finally released and it was also very difficult even at easier difficulties, and you do not get to see the real ending unless you beat the game on the highest difficulty (but it can be seen on youtube). But that doesn't stop me from recommending it to anyone who are into horror, atmosphere and lovecraft mythos.

I agree with Jemy. I highly enjoyed the whole thing - and the first hour or two of the game is probably one of the coolest sequences I've ever seen in a video game.

It's a game a *really* want to like... but I can't. I've gotten as far as escaping from Innsmouth at least three times, at which point I just... lose interest. Go figure, it checks all the right boxes -- it just doesn't click for me.

I'll join the choir of praisers :) At least the first half or 2/3 of the game is awesome. It's a shooter, but you won't even get a weapon for the first several hours. In the end it does "de-generate" into a more standard shooter though (whether or not that is a bad thing is a matter of taste I guess).

I had to go back and re-read my GamerDad review ... I haven't touched it aside from that one playthrough. I would think it better as a $4.99 purchase. It is a good but flawed game.

Interested in this one. What's the word - is it worth it? Is there no other solution for that Vista issue?

If it affects you I have a save you can have after the boat sequence (where it occurs). You'll have to play it on the second lowest difficulty (for the save to work), but it is literally a second after the bug happens.

Essentially you have to kill 3 objects from a boat that are illuminated by blue lights. On many Vista systems those lights tend to not appear making hitting them one major pain in the neck. There are a few youtube video's showing the correct coordinates to shoot at, but honestly, it's pretty hard to hit without the lights.

Hence, the save directly after that area.

I liked the game so when i saw the budget movie based on the same H.P story i did buy that one too.

Although, the game might have flaws... the movie have more... erhm. :) Never a good thing when a movie have bad voices, actors, sets ...

I liked the game so when i saw the budget movie based on the same H.P story i did buy that one too.

Although, the game might have flaws... the movie have more... erhm. :) Never a good thing when a movie have bad voices, actors, sets ...

Interesting, I wasn't aware of a film adaption of The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Do you remember what it was titled?

There are several movies based on Innsmouth, but I believe Dagon is the only full length adaption. Of course, like all movies based on short novels, there have been plenty of changes to the original story.

Looks interesting - have to try to get Dagon.

I had heard of Dagon... never heard of Return to Innsmouth though.

It's a little confusing because there's a seperate Lovecraft story titled "Dagon".

@JDR - This looks like a good chance for me to babble about HPL movies! Probably more than you want to know

Dagon is pretty cool, I bought the dvd (albeit for very cheap!). Dont expect the brooding tale of insanity, lurking horror thing. And the main character is totally unlikeable. HPL purists hate it, i think it's cool.

Other good HPL flicks-
"From Beyond" is an HPL story adaptation, and I consider it a good flick, but it's 80's horror at it's finest, so expect the limitations on fx of the period. "Re-animator" is loosely one as well, both w/ Jeffrey Coombs playing the mad scientist role that he was born to play. Classic films.

If you want True Blue Cthulhu, you need to order the HPL historic society's "Call of Cthulhu" silent film, it's worth every penny imho

I'm still just waiting for Guillermo del Toro's Mountains of Madness.

Back
Top Bottom