Gothic

This was awesome. Never met a game that put a higher standard than this one, eventhough there were a lot of bugs.
I loved it. No I adored it

I never encountered any bugs in Gothic that weren't related to hardware. Of course the NA version was already patched.

Strange, the gothic series is known too be bugfested.
At least that is what I thought.

A bugfest? That would be a huge exaggeration. Gothic 3 was the only game in the series that had a significant amount of bugs.

As you already said above that may be true for the fully patched US versions but the German games had tons of bugs when they first came out including really nasty showstopping bugs and everything. PB offered great support back in the day though. At least with Gothic 1 they even let people mail them their savegames and then repaired the file so people could continue playing the game.

Even the patched versions had some bugs, but not enough to make the games stand out as bugfests. RPGs often have issues with quest triggers and the like.

From memory Gothic I without the last patch doesnt always give you experience for magic kills, which is a somewhat serious bug, and I've also had quest triggers fail and break the plot:p

Like some corny love story, I first spotted Gothic from across a crowded room. It was the holiday season, and I was in a mall video game store. The cover art grabbed my attention, so I walked over and checked it out.

I don't remember any small talk, but soon we were leaving the mall together. Then we were at my place. Things progressed quickly. Intrigue turned to passion. There was mystery. There was magic.

It was my first time. I was scared. I was alone. ;)

I also had a mad, impulsive love-affair with Gothic, Squeek, and it was good even though perhaps not my first. ;) I knew absolutely nothing about the game when I bought it--I played it all the way through to the end, which for me back then was a big deal--I don't think I'd ever finished an rpg before that except maybe IWD1. Sadly, the magic just wasn't there for Gothic 2...

Hard to believe that nugget about the devs repairing savegames and sending them back--that's dedication to your community.

Awesome! We have that in common then! And I also loved IWD and was somewhat disappointed with Gothic 2!

I'm going to take this as a sign of hope for world peace!

From an economic view point :)
Gothic series represent true capitalism, where I can actual "acumulate" slowly and surely; while Oblivion's auto leveling is like the FED's inflationary measure, just as I thought that I received a "raise", prices goes up more.

I was madly in love with Gothic from start to finish - and I can't tell you just how VERY rare that is for me.

I think it lasted a good 25 hours - but those were some fine hours.

One of the best for sure.

25 hours good god i spent more than that with the demo.

getting the snot beat out of you while being sworn at lying huddled on te dirt of the old camp. doesn't get much better, especially when later you and your bestowed learning points wield a hefty two-hander and smack everyone in the gob including the man kor-angar himself.

plus the voice acting rarely gets any better, both the language and style. only gothic could use the term 'brownie points' seriously and make it jive.

Eh? Did you just rush through the main quest or something? I think I spent at least 60 hours playing it my first time.

....and I loved every minute. :biggrin:

As I recall, I paced myself and experimented with various things.

I remember clearing out the old camp by killing everyone, just to see if it was possible.

Then again, I seem to be a "fast" player - and I generally don't exhaust content fully. But I do distinctly remember taking my time with Gothic - but I also remember the 25 hours thing - because I believe the savegames were time/date-stamped.

Could be wrong, though :)

IS THAT ALL :)

just kidding, I don't remeber exactly but I am sure it took me a lot longer than that the first time. I was too scared to die when I took 2 steps, the first half of the game :p

IS THAT ALL :)

just kidding, I don't remeber exactly but I am sure it took me a lot longer than that the first time. I was too scared to die when I took 2 steps, the first half of the game :p

LOL! I'm there with you Titus. I'll never forget coming down off that mountainapproaching the Old Camp and there were creatures to my left, right, and front. No place to be for the novice. :p

Your first scavenger or your first molerat. Or even worse: your first bloodfly :p
the horrors, the lovely memories :p

Back
Top Bottom