Path of Exile - Review @ RPGamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
RPGamer reviews the F2P RPG Path of Exile, and awards the game with a 5/5.

After spending nearly two hundred hours playing with my first character, mostly solo, entirely with self-found gear, I reached a new appreciation for how perfectly balanced and addictive Path of Exile is straight through to the post-game. I've finished several acts co-op with my brother, joined strangers for post-game map runs, exchanged currency in trade chat, and looked up ideal passive tree progressions and skill combinations online, and yet nothing compares to feeling elated when a foe drops a unique post-game map or an extremely rare, valuable currency item. Endlessly customizable and endlessly replayable, I wish I had the time to try every build that appeals to me, and I haven't felt this way about an action RPG since Lord of Destruction. Grinding Gear Games has created something special here, and given it gratis to the world.
More information.

I totally agree. PoE has so many absolutely brilliant features. The itemization is so insanely good. Potion flasks are a brilliant idea. Theorycrafting is rewarding. I, too, was sucked in and greatly enjoyed the ride. And FREE TO PLAY DONE RIGHT!? Epic win.

100% agreed. PoE is a great game that brought back my faith in the fundamentally simplistic hack and slash genre. I wish there was more to learn about its campaign setting, as I loved the lore and history, too.

Personally, I found it stale and dull after a surprisingly short while. Too much re-use of assets and the story delivery is highly lacking.

It's very impressive given the budget - but I'm afraid I can't stay engaged without more unique content and a more compelling endgame.

If only they could combine the replay value of this game with the aesthetics and core gameplay of Diablo 3 - and then add a reason to grind loot beyond grinding loot - we'd really have something.

Find it a helluva lot more interesting than D3: from the loot, to the theory-crafting, to the writing that at least doesn't make you wince at every turn.

My one gripe with the game is that, if you want to play in a League, you need to start over every four months.

Find it a helluva lot more interesting than D3: from the loot, to the theory-crafting, to the writing that at least doesn't make you wince at every turn.

My one gripe with the game is that, if you want to play in a League, you need to start over every four months.

Cool, to each his own.

Personally, I found it stale and dull after a surprisingly short while. Too much re-use of assets and the story delivery is highly lacking.

It's very impressive given the budget - but I'm afraid I can't stay engaged without more unique content and a more compelling endgame.

If only they could combine the replay value of this game with the aesthetics and core gameplay of Diablo 3 - and then add a reason to grind loot beyond grinding loot - we'd really have something.

You're so dishonest with yourself, which is fine, "each to his own", as you say, but what you say is disinformation when you offer this information for others to make their game choices on.

The truth is you enjoy diablo3 more because its extremely simple and you can just press the button until you get the cheese. Probably some nice yellow cheese, but what you're really after is a tasty piece of orange cheese.

There is just no way you got to see any of the endgame since you "found it stale and dull" after a short while. Which, knowing your skill level and modern game preferences, really translates to, "I felt overwhelmed when I saw the skill tree because I don't enjoy thinking about character builds."

Then you talk about the "core gameplay" of diablo3, which it obviously has since PoE is closer to core diablo than D3 ever was, which is now after 2.0 closer to WoW, but Diablo3 doesn't have the deep character building though its skill tree and rune system.

You talk about "add a reason to grind loot beyond grinding loot", but what does that even mean? In PoE there's much MORE reason to grind loot with its various leagues, but Diablo3 has no competitive endgame, STILL no ladder and what the heck are you getting all geared up for anyway?

I know dialbo3 and PoE very well, I have all level 70s in D3 but WitchDoctor, I know we just "rift it forward" as "compelling endgame", as you call it. PoE has FAR more engaging endgame with something to actually think about. D3 I have the best skills on my bar in 20 minutes and my brain goes to sleep after 30 and I wonder WTF my mates see in this bland clickfest.

It just really irritates me to see you believing your own bullshit, yet again.

Just admit PoE was too hard and too confusing for you because you don't like to have to use your brain at all and just want the skinner box gambling gameplay! There's nothing wrong with that. The truth is good. A lot of people will agree with you.

Please take a look in the mirror because you're so used to lying to yourself that you're not realising you're lying to other people! Don't pretend you're being unbiased! Be the casual gamer that you are and make sure people know.

Love,
SirJames. <3

I like both D3 and PoE. Currently bored of both though..

Back
Top Bottom