Dark Souls - 8 Million Copies Sold

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Destructoid informs us that the Dark Souls games have sold a total of 8 milion copies up to now, with over 3.25 million copies on PC.

Famitsu - reporting from a From Software presentation - confirmed the original Dark Souls game sold over 2.4 copies globally, while the game bundled with the DLC sold 2.6 million.

Dark Souls II has sold 2.4 million - 1.9 million sales of the original game, and 530,000 copies of the Scholar of the First Sin version.

Remember: these figures don't even include sales from Demon Souls, nor Bloodborne.

More information.

Really??

Over 40% of their sales is from PC? I'm shocked, especially considering what a terrible port DS1 was.

Wonder what kind of sales they could pull on PC if they actually focused some resources on it?

If I ever get a job in games industry I'll be making singleplayer grinders only.
Those obviously sell better than pay2win phonegames and MMOs.

If I ever get a job in games industry I'll be making singleplayer grinders only.
Those obviously sell better than pay2win phonegames and MMOs.

It's ironic how much you complain about grinders only to subject us to grinding through your endless repetitive posts.

Now stop posting on things you know nothing about and go play the sims.

Not gonna happen, sorry.
Well, the sims part could… Kinda bored with FC4 so might turn sims on a bit. Too much of grinding in FC4, y'know. It did sell well however. Not 8 million copies but close.

I'm glad to see such a brilliant game as DS1 sold so well on PC, let's hope it'll mean we'll get more such a great games on PC! Unlike a lot of other PC games you never have to grind, since your progress is always saved. This is far from the save/load grinding you have to do in a normal games! Let's just hope more games can implement such a brilliant save system, instead of the horrible save/load anywhere your actions and death doesn't really matter crap. :D Some reverse joxerism is needed on this game, I normally agree with him, but this game is certainly not the kind of grind like in DA:I or other such a stupid grinders.

D.S. The PC port was beyond horrible! So for that reason I am sorry it sold at all.... but at least this gives them reason to treat PC seriously in the future.

Last edited:
Grinder or not, this is a very good news I think in that it shows there are lot of people out there who still like "hard" and/or "time consuming" games and not everyone is after easy mode instant gratification.

Recently (well last 5 years) all we hear from big studio gamer developers et el, is about making games more "accessible" (mostly code word for dumping down) so that in will cater to the current younger generation and if these numbers are anything to go by I think even the younger generation also has patience for well, "grinders"!

Really??

Over 40% of their sales is from PC? I'm shocked, especially considering what a terrible port DS1 was.

Wonder what kind of sales they could pull on PC if they actually focused some resources on it?

40% of sales from the platform that had to beg to get the franchise released on it.

DS1 was a terrible port, but with the game being fixed/patched by the community and using a controller it was ok, though no more acceptable to release a game in that state.

Having said that at least my controller worked in DS1, in DS2 it was impossible to get the gamepad working properly with button doing things they shouldn't as if all mixed up, lost count of how many things I tried to no avail.

To me they released a shoddy as hell game then went downhill from there for the PC, which had to beg for the games and ended up getting close to half the sales. You'd think they would at least bother getting things to work well nevermind just working.

I also remember people getting banned on their forums for bringing up such issues, one person even had screen captures of their post which though critical was polite yet still got deleted and banned. Great way to treat those who not only put up with really crappy ports but even fixed it which of course helped sales.

I don't see myself ever sending money their way again.

40% of sales from the platform that had to beg to get the franchise released on it.

DS1 was a terrible port, but with the game being fixed/patched by the community and using a controller it was ok, though no more acceptable to release a game in that state.

Having said that at least my controller worked in DS1, in DS2 it was impossible to get the gamepad working properly with button doing things they shouldn't as if all mixed up, lost count of how many things I tried to no avail.

To me they released a shoddy as hell game then went downhill from there for the PC, which had to beg for the games and ended up getting close to half the sales. You'd think they would at least bother getting things to work well nevermind just working.

I also remember people getting banned on their forums for bringing up such issues, one person even had screen captures of their post which though critical was polite yet still got deleted and banned. Great way to treat those who not only put up with really crappy ports but even fixed it which of course helped sales.

I don't see myself ever sending money their way again.

I don't know about controller support, I beat both games with M&K.

I would have to say overall DS2 was a much better port than DS1. I'm hoping with the good PC sales that DS3 will be even better but I'm sure I'll still have to jump through some hoop to play with M&K.

Why not? What is the purpose of posting negativity about games you've never played and know nothing about?

Just to troll or annoy?
Oh I should first burn my money on a game and only then have a negative opinion on it?
Meaning, only those who accept to be scammed and skinned alive with horse armor and season passes should talk about it?

Sorry man. When the stuff is obvious… Not gonna happen. :)
Btw... You did buy Sims 4 before suggesting it to me, right?

Why not? What is the purpose of posting negativity about games you've never played and know nothing about?

Just to troll or annoy?

The new definition of troll : To have an opinion different than the reader.

The new definition of troll : To have an opinion different than the reader.

Your only missing the mark by about 5 miles. I don't care about his opinion, it's the fact that it's based on nothing. He has no knowledge of the game.

Oh I should first burn my money on a game and only then have a negative opinion on it?
Meaning, only those who accept to be scammed and skinned alive with horse armor and season passes should talk about it?

No you don't need to buy it just try and be a little informed. Horse armor and season pass have nothing to do with dark souls which actually had some of the meatiest and well done DLC I've played.

I suppose it would be a much nicer place around here if we all just assumed we knew about games and then posted irrelevant nonsense pertaining to them in every thread.

Sorry man. When the stuff is obvious… Not gonna happen. :)
Btw… You did buy Sims 4 before suggesting it to me, right?

Nope, just showing how ridiculous it is but it doesn't surprise me that you missed it.

...in DS2 it was impossible to get the gamepad working properly with button doing things they shouldn't as if all mixed up, lost count of how many things I tried to no avail.

That's strange. What kind of gamepad do you use? I used an Xbox 360 controller to play DS2 and had no issues at all.

Nope, just showing how ridiculous it is but it doesn't surprise me that you missed it.
Sorry, but even with prejudices, I'd never suggest buying or playing a game I don't have just because that someone hates something I adore. In this case, grinding.
I see why you jumped on me, we're totally different, and your DLC points also add to the pot.

No wonder I missed something and even now I'm unsure if I got it completely. Different people, different logic, I guess.
I've said what I ment to say in my first post. Sex sales? Yea, a decade ago. Now grind sales.
Enough of me in this thread. Cya elsewhere. ;)

Just to troll or annoy?

Pretty much. He enjoys putting down what others like and what he hates through hyberbole and exaggeration. A waste of time, in my opinion, but to each his own.

I mean, current phone games blow modern PC-only games out of the water graphically and where deep gameplay is concerned. Who wants to pay $200 for a SNES game and upgrade his hardware for $5000 every three months when the the same improved game can be played for free on my freaking phone without having to suffer through inferior keyboard/mouse controls?? PC doesn't even have a touch screen, lol.

Back
Top Bottom