A Farewell to Dragons [RPG]

Ergonpandilus

The Preacher
Another game by 1C Company.

4354_A-Farewell-to-Dragons-packshot.jpg

Overview:
A Farewell to Dragons is a classic Action/RPG that takes place in the universe based on the fantasy book written by famous Russian writers Sergey Lukyanenko and Nikolay Perumov. Fateful times began in the Middle World, from now on its destiny depends on Victor, main character of the game. He will learn the magic of four elements, master the Power and fulfill his destiny. Leaded by young sorceress Telle the hero has to grasp in intrigues, experience himself and accept his fate. Will he become Dragon the Created or Dragon Slayer?

Features:
* Classic party Action / RPG based on fantasy book.
* Main character possesses the magic of four elements, totem spells, cold steel and fire-arms.
* Mystery sorceress Telle, femme fatal from Clan of Cat named Loy Iver and other fascinating characters.
* Effectiveness of elemental magic depends on the time of day – you need to choose the battle time carefully!

Screenshots:
1786_nvdd56.jpg

1780_nvdd40.jpg

1783_nvdd43.jpg

System Requirements:
- Windows 2000/XP
- 1.5 GHz CPU
- 512 MB RAM
- nVidia GeForce FX 5700 or ATI Radeon 9600 with 128 MB of memory
- DirectX-compatible
- 3 GB of free hard drive space
- DVD ROM

Recommended System:B]
- 2.4 GHz CPU
- 1 GB RAM
- nVidia GeForce FX 6800 or ATI Radeon 9800

Gameplay video: A Farewell to Dragons PC Gameplay 1920x1080 VISTA HD Maxed out

Seems like a intresting party RPG like Baldur's Gate series.

Last edited:
Here's a quick mini-review:

Purchasing:
Buying from GamersGate is a chore. The download speed is abysmal. It took around 36 hours for me to download this game. I could have flown to Russia, purchased it on disk, and flown back in less time. Of course, I would have been out some serious jack, but that's beside the point.:)

Gameplay:
At first look, Gameplay seems similar to Dungeon Siege (and it's cousins). But the play is actually deeper. The rule system is actually more similar to fallout, with skills and perks (every 4 levels!). And the party mechanics are more like Baldurs Gate 2 (compete with inter-party bickering) There is a main quest, but within the main quest, there are plenty of little quests, that actually matter (and of course, there are some that are fluff). What you get is a much deeper game, and a much less feel that you are being railroaded. Minor things that don't seem to matter, actually make a difference later. For example (small spoiler!), there is a bandit that you are given the chance to spare, if you so desire. If you do so, he shows up a few hours later with his four sons, to help you fend off an attack on an inn. Then you can recruit him into your party, and he becomes a stalwart companion.

Setting:
There are three worlds - the Inner World (our world), the Middle world, and the outer world. I've only been to the middle world, but it's similar to Arcanum - it's steampunk, railroads, magic users, etc. Previous to the game, there was a big war between the living and the dead, ending in a treaty. Now, there is a border between the lands of the dead and the living. It's creepy, when you get close to it, and whatever you do, don't wander over the border. At least until your level is really high. The dead stick to their side anyway.

Story:
You're a doctor. That's right, you're not a pimply faced, mad at the world teenager. Nope, you're a doctor, and you're living a normal life in our world, when a girl you assume to be about 13 shows up at your apartment. Somehow events turn out that you stumble into the middle world, and she becomes your companion. And it seems she may know a whole lot more about what's going on.
There are different factions in this world, fighting each other. Most of them want you dead! Plus, there are a lot of people who call you "Lord", and refuse to tell you why.
If you haven't guessed by now, This game is story heavy. There even appears to be a bit of Romance. I took a side quest, and picked up a pretty fighter lady, and now telle (the girl from before), occasionally makes remarks, and acts snooty to her. This really reminds me of Baldurs Gate 2.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this game immensely. I would recommend it, if you have the patience to try downloading it. It's well worth it!

Jaimi, I find your review better than those I can find about other games on pro sites.
Thanks, I ought to get only dungeon cleaners, but I'll get this one too.

Tempted. I love Arcanumish settings, so I might consider this after Dragon Age. I'd like some more feedback once people are done playing through it (very few proper reviews out so far).

Thanks for the well-done mini-review!

I assume you're playing the English version, so I have to ask, how is the voice acting?

How is the atmosphere? How is the music? I know the bl00m isn't supposed to matter, but I've been hurt before…

Thanks for your time!

Actually sounds pretty good, I'd seen action RPG and lost interest but it seems I may have been hasty.

Unfortunately I've got no chance of finishing risen before dragon age so could be a wait before purchasing it.

@Benedict: I think "Action RPG" is probably a misnomer. It's more like Baldurs Gate - where you pause, and give everyone commands, and unpause and let them fight. There's a bit of management involved - Telle (The sorceror girl) is constantly getting picked on, so you need to manage her healing and defense quite a bit.

@Dyspaire: Yes, I bought the english version. There is not a lot of voice acting, though there is some. What there is, is done well (Sounds like actors, not programmers). The music is good, it doesn't get repetitive, and the general atmosphere is good.

I'll post a better review once I finish it. I've been burned a few times on games that started out "great", and then fizzled about half way through. (The two worst offenders being Lionheart and Revenant -- both of those felt like they ran out of money half way through, and just had combat for the last half...) Still, I fell this one so far has been good, I wonder why it hasn't gotten a bigger release.

If it keeps up being that good, I will definetely buy it.. post your final review when you are through.

…) Still, I fell this one so far has been good, I wonder why it hasn't gotten a bigger release.

That's easy to reply by one word: Graphics.

@Benedict: I think "Action RPG" is probably a misnomer. It's more like Baldurs Gate - where you pause, and give everyone commands, and unpause and let them fight. There's a bit of management involved - Telle (The sorceror girl) is constantly getting picked on, so you need to manage her healing and defense quite a bit. .

Better still :) Definitely on my list to buy once time permits now.

Here's a quick mini-review:

Purchasing:
Buying from GamersGate is a chore. The download speed is abysmal. It took around 36 hours for me to download this game. I could have flown to Russia, purchased it on disk, and flown back in less time. Of course, I would have been out some serious jack, but that's beside the point.:)

Is this the first game you've gotten from them? I have never had an issue with speeds or purchasing and I have loads of games from them (as well as all other digital download sites). Wonder if it is the impact of Dragon Age pre-load?

Yeah, it's the first time I purchased from them. I basically blew my whole weekend waiting for the download. At first I was getting around 10K download speeds on my Win7 machine (which is the machine I'm using to play the game). I later switched over to another box with Win server 2003, and used that to download. The speed varied between 20-80K, which was a lot better, but still abysmally slow (I have a 7mb connection). Their "downloader" would occasionally barf, and need to be restarted, so I'm not sure how many hours I lost in the night while I wasn't monitoring it. :(

I like this game so far even though it is in a similar view to Baldur's Gate (I don't like rts like views) but the gameplay and story is making up for that for me.

I was looking for a review for this game all over the place.

Thanks Jaimi (waiting for the bigger review now.. you can always update us in bits and pieces).

The game is nothing like dungeon seige unless you think it is because it uses a 3d engine...played fora few minutes last night seems pretty interesting....my level 1 character saw some level 40 bad guys in the area the beginning so it does not seem to have all that much level scaling.

The game is nothing like dungeon seige unless you think it is because it uses a 3d engine…played fora few minutes last night seems pretty interesting….my level 1 character saw some level 40 bad guys in the area the beginning so it does not seem to have all that much level scaling.

I noticed that as well - gave it the 'Gothic test' (can you stray from the path and survive) ... and (nicely) the answer is 'no'.

Is it only digital download everywhere? No Euro retail release either?

That first pic sure looks like English box art to me. ;)

This game sounds good. Is there an English version? I can't seem to find much info on it...

Back
Top Bottom