Drakensang:The River of Time - Official Press Release

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The official press release for Drakensang 2 shows it's actually named Drakensang: The River of Time and that its a prequel to Drakensang.
Drakensang: The River Of Time: Prequel to award-winning RPG highlight in production

Hamburg/Germany, February 17th, 2009 - Hamburg/Germany based publisher dtp entertainment has today confirmed that developer Radon Labs is working on a prequel to the award winning title: The Dark Eye: Drakensang, which has won the "best German RPG 2008" award at the German Developer Awards. Drakensang: The River Of Time is going to tell a new story within the Drakensang universe. The prequel is scheduled to be released on the PC early 2010.

"Fans of Drakensang and RPGs get exactly what they want: A new story in the embosomed Drakensang universe, bringing as much innovations as tried and true game elements", describes Bernd Beyreuther, Creative Director at Radon Labs, Drakensang: The River Of Time.

"We continue the success story of Drakensang. The Dark Eye players can look forward to another precise realization of their favorite RPG system. Those players who will experience The Dark Eye for the first time won't miss a thing and can just start right into the fascinating medieval RPG fantasy scenario of Drakensang: The River Of Time", Markus Windelen, COO of publisher dtp entertainment, adds.
More information.

Looking forward to this. I hope they don't delay the English version which they did with Drakensang the dark eye.

I would figure that depends on the success of the English release.

Still, cool news. I still love DSA too much to not be excited about any new title in the world. Still need to play the original, tho'

this seems to be more of an add-on, not a sequel. The German page doesn't mention any "2" in their announcement, they just call it a prequel.

The "2" was mentioned in this newsbit and on the World of Drakensang site. Up to now the exact title was not known so Drakensang 2 was used instead.

this seems to be more of an add-on, not a sequel. The German page doesn't mention any "2" in their announcement, they just call it a prequel.
That's what I've been wondering, the last word was that Radon was working on an expansion pack.
The "2" was mentioned in this newsbit and on the World of Drakensang site. Up to now the exact title was not known so Drakensang 2 was used instead.
Please note that Drakensang 2 "title" is a fan creation and was never officially used, the official term was "Drakensang followup".

Last edited:
Prequel? Does that mean there's no character import?

Still, sounds great. ^^

Prequel? Does that mean there's no character import?
That's for sure. Your DraSa character at the end of the game is at the limit. DSA doesn't offer real gameplay value for epic characters.

They talked about an addon, but I think in the meantime they decided to go full price. Maybe as reaction to the announcement of Demonicon from competitor The Games Company.

"River Of Time" ?

This is a direct hint towards Satinav, the more-or-less Keeper Of Time in the TDE "Universe".
He is said to be bound to a ship.

That's what I've been wondering, the last word was that Radon was working on an expansion pack.
Probably canned in favour of a faster full price release.

Please note that Drakensang 2 "title" is a fan creation and was never officially used, the official term was "Drakensang followup".
Not a fan creation. A place holder. The follow up to "Game" is "Game 2", until you hear something different.

A prequel means a game playing in a time before Drakensang, in this context.
It probably is something like a blown up add-on. And that's perfectly fine IMHO, compare Gothic 2. Now we get a full price game after 1.5 years instead of 2 add-ons after 6-9 months each, like NWN 2. Sounds good to me.

I hope they keep the tech and just teach it a couple of new tricks. Recycle a lot of assets and tune just about every game element a little bit. 10 big and 100 small changes could give DraSa quite a boost.

A prequel means a game playing in a time before Drakensang, in this context.
It probably is something like a blown up add-on. And that's perfectly fine IMHO, compare Gothic 2. Now we get a full price game after 1.5 years instead of 2 add-ons after 6-9 months each, like NWN 2. Sounds good to me.

I hope they keep the tech and just teach it a couple of new tricks. Recycle a lot of assets and tune just about every game element a little bit. 10 big and 100 small changes could give DraSa quite a boost.
That's how it should be. Spend on an engine, then use the engine for not only sequels, but other games (like the old gold box games).

Information about
Drakensang: The River of Time

SP/MP: Single + MP (???)
Setting: Fantasy
Genre: RPG
Platform: PC
Release: In development

AFAIK, both the current and future Drakensangs will be SP only

That's how it should be. Spend on an engine, then use the engine for not only sequels, but other games (like the old gold box games).
They use this engine for about 10 years now, if I'm correct. They are constantly evolving Nebula. It's also open source, btw. MIT licence.

Okay, now that I've seen the German version of that press release, this game is going to suck, for the English language release anyway. Why you ask? Well they didn't even translate the title right: the German title is "Das Schwarze Auge: Drakensang: Am Fluss der Zeit" and that would be "The Dark Eye: Drakensang: At the Flow of Time" (note that river is a possible translation of Fluss but not in this context).

"River Of Time" ?
This is a direct hint towards Satinav, the more-or-less Keeper Of Time in the TDE "Universe".
He is said to be bound to a ship.
Your right about the title hinting at him, he protects the flow of time and normally only allows time to "move" forwards. But you do realise that "ship" is a metaphor?

"Das Schwarze Auge: Drakensang: Am Fluss der Zeit" and that would be "The Dark Eye: Drakensang: At the Flow of Time" (note that river is a possible translation of Fluss but not in this context).

Uh, yes in this context. Fluss = river. Am = At, which is used for places. "Flow of Time" is not a place. If anything, it could be called "At the River of Time", but even considering the second meaning "flow", the pun (if it's meant to be one at all) wouldn't work in English. And since "river" is a classic metaphor in literature, I don't really see the problem. Plus, "The River of Time" is a great title, so there. ;)

Maybe they just thought "At the River of Time" would have been too long and awkward (and I'd agree). I wouldn't worry about it too much though.

Awaiting real grammar enthusiasts to take over.

Last edited:
Just saw a statement by the CEO of Chromatrix (TDE CRPG license holder): this is not going to be a expansion pack it's a full blown follow-up game. Even though quite a few gaming sites report otherwise.
Uh, yes in this context. Fluss = river. Am = At, which is used for places. "Flow of Time" is not a place. If anything, it could be called "At the River of Time", but even considering the second meaning "flow", the pun (if it's meant to be one at all) wouldn't work in English. And since "river" is a classic metaphor in literature
Again "Fluss" has multiple meanings and the specific one "river" is not meant here: the metaphor is "time flows like a river". That discribes the flow of time (the progression into the future). There is no liquid (or pun) involved.

Maybe they just thought "At the River of Time" would have been too long and awkward (and I'd agree).
You got to be kidding! That additional "at" would make the title "The Dark Eye: Drakensang: The River of Time" long and awkward?

I know they trying to make it clear that this is the Drakensang developer again and not something new like Demonicon. But why don't they call it "The Dark Eye: The River of Time"? I mean they still going to put Radon Labs on the box, aren't they?

Fluss = River & Flow.

You can't really say that "River" wasn't meant here. Why shouldn't it have been ment? The would just have called it "Der Fluss der Zeit", and not "AM Fluss der Zeit" if they didn't mean river. The double-meaning is probably intended, though.
Since you can't really translate this double meaning into English, and because the "River" meaning is stronger than the "Flow" meaning (see the preposition "am" again), the translation is okay and functional.

Also, you would probably say (native speakers, correct me if I'm wrong) "ON the river of time", not "at".

Another geeky point nobody is interested in:
Satinav's ship might be a metaphor, but who says it isn't?

You can't really say that "River" wasn't meant here. Why shouldn't it have been ment? The would just have called it "Der Fluss der Zeit", and not "AM Fluss der Zeit" if they didn't mean river.

The double-meaning is probably intended, though.
Since you can't really translate this double meaning into English, and because the "River" meaning is stronger than the "Flow" meaning (see the preposition "am" again), the translation is okay and functional.
No you are wrong because you only see that one meaning of "Fluss" you are completely missing the point of the title. The meaning is: "being close to the the progression of time". That's where Satinav is. It is not a location mortals can reach. It is the fourth dimension. If it actually was a river it would have nothing to do with TDE.
Also, you would probably say (native speakers, correct me if I'm wrong) "ON the river of time", not "at".
Well I have to admit that "near" would be the better transalation then my "at". But I don't translate stuff for a living...

Another geeky point nobody is interested in:
Satinav's ship might be a metaphor, but who says it isn't?
It's pretty clear in the Satinav backstory, because the main metaphor is steering-wheel-of-time that Satinav wanted to turn around to travel to the dawn of time, it's a ship because that is the only available steering wheel in the technology of the TDE universe. There is no such place as a river of time in TDE lore.

Ha, funny stuff! :lol:

Lord, you really gotta be kidding - all of you - and missing the point.

Because what´s in whether it´s called "At, Near, By, With, In & Throughout a River - or not - of/in/on Time"?
Nothing quite at all, really.

What counts long before that is them improving gameplay, ambient, player choice, dialogue and all that *really* important stuff, quite along the lines of what some fans (esp. the more TDE experienced, be it from P&P or NLT) suggested in dtp/RL´s forums and elsewhere.

I ain´t gonna decide buying a TDE issue by plain title, that´s for sure.

Gosh, this isn´t a "Divine Divinity" type a thing we´re coming from here, folks! Be serious!
So, peace out, please!

Aside, the current title is still interpretable in various legitimate ways.
You can´t always pin down metaphors with a nail, double meanings may still be valid, regardless what individual persons may think.
Actually, ten different natives of Aventuria might give you ten different readings of it, depending on their background and "Weltanschauung". :p

TDE ruleset and ambient sourcebooks aren´t like the bible or something - in fact they were exactly NOT supposed to be, right from the early start (1984, "Book Of Rules", Introduction by founder Ulrich Kiesow).

Got it? ;)

Ragon, the TDE Mage
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom