TES Favorite TES race?

The Elder Scrolls: Other games and info
Even worse, I tend to play a more "extreme/idealistic" version of myself when I'm not playing my favorite stealth/archer type thing.
This is very common, even more so in pen & paper RPGs. Most people seem to either play themselves (but better), or the person they want to be. You are a lucky person if your group contains more than one person who can drop their own personality and play something completely different.

I've been able to play different characters than myself, but I just can't play an evil person. It goes against my very nature. Because of this, I find games that forces me to do evil acts, or act like a jerk to be hard to play (unless the games are humorous. I love Dungeon keeper, and shooting my friend in the back in Paranoia (pen & paper) is always fun).

This is very common, even more so in pen & paper RPGs. Most people seem to either play themselves (but better), or the person they want to be. You are a lucky person if your group contains more than one person who can drop their own personality and play something completely different.

I've been able to play different characters than myself, but I just can't play an evil person. It goes against my very nature. Because of this, I find games that forces me to do evil acts, or act like a jerk to be hard to play (unless the games are humorous. I love Dungeon keeper, and shooting my friend in the back in Paranoia (pen & paper) is always fun).

I gravitate towards different characters. If there is a beast or alien or robot I am all over that. I think I like to play characters who are an outsider and significantly different, and alienated, from the general populous. Morrowind was interesting in this regard because if you played human you were an outsider.

In regards to playing evil though, I also have problems. I really can't do it. It's just not in my nature. I can't even bring myself to be the aggressor in sim games. ;) I can do all the physical differences in the world but I need a basic nature that is at least neutral. Evil is just too far from my own nature for me to be able to play and enjoy.

Redguard - I like to play warrior or warrior/thief variants in TES. No love for non-humans I'm afraid, if it were a party based game things would be different, but as the protagonist I don't want to be some furry or scaly critter. However, I can cope with a somewhat darker skin colour :)

I also play character who is an idealised version of me in many game :) This usually means a humanoid race but in some cases I have played beats races also, for example Tauren warrior in wow. I found in that game they fitted the "idealised" me.

In 80% of the games I play a warrior type mixed with magic. I have yet to play stealth/archery type character.

I have tried very different characters in TES. Dark-Elf Battlemage, Altmer mage, Khajiit thief, Breton Jack-of-all-trades, Imperial Spellsword. I try to think of something new each game. I have never played an Argonian IIRC - maybe its time for an Argonian necromancer…

My "character-type-evolution" has been:

Traditional Fighter or Paladin (the purity aspect) ->
Dual Wielding whatever (speed-based builds) ->
Stealth/archer (stealth-based builds)

Am I the only one here who has changed "tastes", so to speak? For instance, it seems to me that most people I know who prefer "mages" have always preferred mages. Is that true for you guys or is that also part of an evolution?

It's curious how many people project their own personalities into their Elder Scrolls alter-ego's. I tend to find that difficult given the general lack of dialogue options to really convey what I'd want to to say and so tend to construct a personality based on the situations and events that arise in the game 'on the fly'.

My first Morrowind character was a Khajiit Monk though, which came about after I answered the character creation questions as honestly as I could. I'm a felinophile (a devout cat fan) and so it was a great deal of fun just running amok whacking stuff with one's paws, jumping around etc. :)

After this character came an Altmer Battlemage, a Nord Barbarian and finally a Dunmer Assassin after which I'd decided that I'd experienced enough of the other class and gameplay styles.

I'm yet to create an Argonian yet either actually...hmm! :)

@ D'Art:
Hmmm … isn't evolution kinda natural, unless you ask a creationist? ;)

In the beginning of p&p RPGs, I tended to play the big, dumb, strong, lawful stupid tank or DPs-guy, regardless of genre - not just as the easiest way to get familiar with the mechanics, but because I liked it. In my first fantasy-themed cRPGs, on the other hand, I preferred to play artillery, i.e. magic users.
But over the course of years I discovered that the there is no fun in a game if there's a door I can't get through ^^. My favorite cRPG mage ever was the one from Arena (to get back to the topic) … the fireball-toting, wall-tearing invisible guy.

In some cases it depends on how magic or combat or b&e is implemented. I mean, if lock-picking (or hacking, or …) doesn't give me the thrills in a game, I might very well choose to play a big bad fighter (or trooper or …) instead.

I am not fan of ranged fighting. I include casting fireball and archery type of combat in the mix. I like to get "up-close and personal"! This is why I have always played a warrior type character. I like to play the "sword and board" style or dual wielding. However I never liked big 2h wielding warrior.

Like Jaz says above it's no fun if you can't get through a door or even open all the locks! This is why I like to add magic and "thief" like skills to the mix! They add the utility a pure warrior lacks.

Oh another big reason why I don't like to a play mage is, I hate wearing robes! In TES games, this is not big issues since you can have mage in full plate but it's still annoying in the early stages.

I am not sure why I don't really play full on "thief" like character in RPGs. May be because they don't fit my "idealised" self! However I really did enjoy playing Thief 3 the game!

I always gravitate towards a Dunmer - there's a ruggedness and mystique about them, plus Morrowind :).

I think all the races are pretty cool though, the only exception is the Khajiit. Orcs are a staple of fantasy but come on, cat people? Still, they look decent in Skyrim at least. Argonians don't bother me much though. Again, my hate for Khajiit is probably more due to the poor character designs in previous games.

And I almost always play the same class type (in all RPGs) and that's a stealth/Ranger type. In ES games it's usually a custom Agent/Nightblade combo and there really isn't that much difference between races or rather the difference between stats isn't noticeable enough to make much difference after a couple of hours.

I actually wish they'd have bigger bonus differences between the races.

Altmer mage/battlemage type with Atronach birthsign, or a Bosmer thief/archer/illusionist type.

Since they got rid of birthsigns in Skyrim (grrrrrrrrrrrrrr), I hope all Altmers get spell absorption.

I think all the races are pretty cool though, the only exception is the Khajiit. Orcs are a staple of fantasy but come on, cat people? Still, they look decent in Skyrim at least. Argonians don't bother me much though. Again, my hate for Khajiit is probably more due to the poor character designs in previous games.

You never played Wizardry I take it? ;)

I think the Khajiit's look fine from Morrowind on. The Daggerfall ones were a bit silly and looked like people playing furry dress up.

Am I the only one here who has changed "tastes", so to speak? For instance, it seems to me that most people I know who prefer "mages" have always preferred mages. Is that true for you guys or is that also part of an evolution?
My taste changes quite often. There have only been a few constants:
-No reagent or ammo management (so I usually don't play as an archer-type character)
-Low downtime (I hate waiting around for my mana/health to regen, so in games that forces a lot of downtime on some classes I won't play that class)
-Mobility in a realtime single character game (if stealth means moving at 1/4 speed, I won't play as a stealth character, if magic means standing around fiddling your fingers for ½min, I won't play a mage).

Imperial Adventurer/Explorer

I like to utilize stealth, as well as magic that compliments it. Especially the Illusion and Alteration classes.

You never played Wizardry I take it? ;)

I think the Khajiit's look fine from Morrowind on. The Daggerfall ones were a bit silly and looked like people playing furry dress up.

Only Wiz 8 which is one of my all time faves - but races didn't bother me so much there. Ok, you got me. I roleplay a racist Dunmer who thinks Khajiit are the scum of Nirn.

Only Wiz 8 which is one of my all time faves - but races didn't bother me so much there. Ok, you got me. I roleplay a racist Dunmer who thinks Khajiit are the scum of Nirn.

Don't feel bad, I don't like the Khajiit either, and I also didn't like the cat or dog people in Wiz 8. ;)

Back
Top Bottom