Eschalon: Questions on underground areas

I'm having to put my ranger on the back burner--the cost of buying arrows that do decent damage is just too high--plus even with 7 points in swords and the best sword in the game he is routinely beaten by your average carniraptor in any attempt at melee. So no money to buy healing potions because of arrows--learned alchemy, but the shops don't carry enough components, etc. Just a vicious circle of frustration.

So I started a mage and I have a question; has anyone played using both divine and elemental magic, or is it better to stick to just one?( Also, the spell Gravediggers Flame works for lighting dark areas about as well as a torch. Cat's Eye just gives you a better To Hit as already noted.)

yes, use both the light spell and a torch for a bigger area of light...also I used both divine and elemental and it worked fine.

I also used both magic types. If you're playing a fairly pure mage, you need them.

Thanks guys. I rolled up a mage with a slightly higher Intel than Wis to start with so he can blast out the damage spells and plan gradually building up the buffs and heals as back up. Probably should have gone this route originally, but it had been such a long time since I played a Ranger that I fell into temptation. :)

About the darkness thing--because this really was a big deal for me and made me hate the dungeons--I've discovered the solution:

There is this thing called a lantern! Amazing! You put oil and a wick in it and it lasts for 500 turns and is bright! Especially if you use the Cat's Eye spell or potion, which actually does increase your area of visibility quite a bit. (It's Predator Sight that just makes things green and glowy and increases your to hit dramatically.)

Put these 3 things together and you have a normal dungeon--still creepy and dim, but no more eyestrain and double vision.

Basilisk is making me happy. :)

And I thought it was just me and Dte who could do that for you!! :D

And chocolate. ;)

There's no run but not everything move at same peace, your PC moves faster than many monsters but some have same speed and some are faster.

There's a light spell, Gravedigger's Flame, its good point is that it lasts a very long time its bad point is that the light is red. Cat's eye is probably more cool but last much less long if I remember well.

For fighting in dark predator sight is the best, it gives a sort of infravision but just to see opponents not to see terrain or items details.

So I started a mage and I have a question; has anyone played using both divine and elemental magic, or is it better to stick to just one?( Also, the spell Gravediggers Flame works for lighting dark areas about as well as a torch. Cat's Eye just gives you a better To Hit as already noted.)

I found magic a bit weaker in the end game, pumping points into weapons means more and more damage but magic kind of hit a peak level of damage one could give out without utterly blowing through mana IIRC.

Lethal for early & mid game though.

I found magic a bit weaker in the end game, pumping points into weapons means more and more damage but magic kind of hit a peak level of damage one could give out without utterly blowing through mana IIRC.

Lethal for early & mid game though.

Yep, I got bored with my mage(really awfully cheesy in the early-mid game) and rebuilt a Ranger using some of the tips from this handy guide from over at the Drunken Lizard Pub. It's working out much better this time. Eschalon seems to reward specialization rather than the concept of a "well-rounded" bunch of stats.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom