Dragon Age: Inquisition - Second Major Patch

I am also experiencing shiny hair even with all the settings on Ultra. The texture of the snow is also different and I created a new character (human) and the slide for scar is not working; even though I can move it, nothing happens.

I went to check both forums, EA and Bioware, and apparently many people are experiencing the same thing (shiny hair, lower textures, no scars, etc). It looks like the patch lowered the texture of the game to low regardless of your settings. Let’s hope it is unintentional and they release a hotfix soon.

Not "many" people. Everyone. The patch forces lowest possible settings no matter what you set on every PC out there.

There is a public outcry and not only Bioware did practically nothing for PC controls, they broke the game even more with the patch. The game now looks as if you play it on a toaster no matter what settings you use.
Expect an unplanned hotfix on the matter very soon.
But in the end - it's EA. Means, no surprise this happened.

Didn't try the game to see it myself as the changelog doesn't mention any change to endless mobrespawns. Some annoying bugs did get fixed, the rest of addressed stuff is purely cosmetic.

——
[EDIT]

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/532511-dragon-age-inquisition-patch-2/page-69#entry18031083

Finally a post from Bioware, 5 hours after the patch broke everyone and their mother's game:

We're working on getting a hot fix out for the PC graphics issue as soon as possible. In the meantime, here is a workaround you can try:

To start, make sure the quality setting you choose is equal to the setting set for Mesh Quality inside Options>Graphics

You will need to add a new command line parameter. To do this:

Through Origin:

Right click on the Dragon Age Inquisition title
Go to game properties
Type the command line parameter in the Command Line Properties box.

Through shortcut:

Right Click Shortcut
Go to Properties
Under target go to the end of the field and type the command line parameter into the box

Once there, add the following command line parameter: -ShaderSystem.ShaderQualityLevel <quality setting>

In this instance, <quality setting> should be one of the following:

Ultra
High
Medium
Low

An example of how to set your quality to high would be: -ShaderSystem.ShaderQualityLevel High

Please note that once the hot fix is out, you will need to go back in and remove this workaround from your command line.

It’s also important to note that pre-patch 2, all users on PC were being forced to use the Ultra shader quality. This means that those of you playing on lower settings will notice a decrease in quality, particularly players using low or medium settings.

To achieve the same visuals as pre-patch, users on lower settings will need to change their settings to Ultra, which should likewise be used in conjunction with Ultra mesh quality. Mismatching the mesh and shader settings will result in other visual artifacts like overly shiny hair.

Please be aware that changing settings to Ultra may impact performance on some machines.

Sorry about any frustration this may have caused.

Don't get me wrong. While still frustrated seeing QA on PC port doesn't exist at EA, compared to dragons flying backwards for days if not weeks back then on Steam, this was superfast response.

Last edited:
Thanks Joxer - going to try that fix now. The thread also has some different ideas on how to restore to a previous version. Going to try the simpler fix first.

Just don't use that Origin 3rd party overrider.

It's suspected as stealing Origin accs mechanics (if you'll use it, put some garbled question/answer in privacy Origin options, like "what's the biggest mountain?" with the answer only you know that has no connection to the question really, for example "NH".

Tried the argument fix and it works. Got my scars back and no shiny hair.

Not sure if they did a hotfix but I played for about an hour and had no problem with graphics. All were still at ultra and no shiny hair.

PC combat is no better. The only real change I noticed was the f to loot all.

The command line worked fine for me - either way my graphics are fine.

Apart from forcing the low-quality mesh and degrading the overall graphics fidelity, this patch has severely impacted performance for multiple players, as is evident from the BIO forums. My game ran perfectly smooth before patching, but after applying the patch, I am observing painfully long loading time, even more stutter, and freezes. Anyone fortunate enough to NOT have applied this patch, should start Origin in the offline mode and play the game till a properly tested patch comes along. It's not like this patch adds anything substantially useful anyways.

While I let the patch to install, I didn't run the game to check it out. For known reasons...

The patch drops performance on some machines, but not on all. On some machines FPS got better after the patch. Reasons - unknown. Currently.

It's not really true that the patch doesn't add useful stuff, they fixed wrong gender, VO mix and lack of banter problems all of which were IMO critical as are annoying as hell in already annoying grinder.

The patch isn't spectacular however.
Won't reread the whole thing now and point to things not addressed, but they didn't polish crap controls on PC nor fixed DX crashes. Also there is no word about rumored inability to recruit sidekicks if you progress the main story too much (which could be per design and not a bug), but one thing is definetly not fixed and that's Solas' third personal quest. Apparently the endless power amulets respawn in containers is also not fixed, but it's not odd since they didn't do anything with annoying respawns in the patch. A certain wartable bugged sequence is also not mentioned, etc.

Honestly I'll probably go make a list of all known issues for reasons a proper one doesn't exist anywhere, I'm not young anymore to remember everything or am in early Alzheimer stage. :)
The problem is I'd have to replay the game for reproducing certain issues... *sigh* :(

I'm shelving this game for a couple months or so. I have to many games in my backlog to waste time with this.

I still have to play the witcher 1&2 before 3 comes out. I have D:OS, Styx, MMX, lords of xulima, far cry 4 and countless others to play.

huh? but why? whyyyyyyyyyy :(
I thought you like the game.

Had the shiny hair issue as well. Their QA is a joke.

I believe there is no PC QA at EA. Think about all the money they'd waste if it existed! :evilgrin:

I will shelve DA:I until Xmas break ends as well. Since patch I'm experiencing painfully long loading time to a point I thought the game crashed while loading. Might finish IWD again :)

Just received a new patch when starting Origin, will see if that was the hotfix, I'll report in an hour again.

Update:
Shiny hair is gone and meshes are restored. Performance is the same, so still good for me on ultra (without MSAA).

Last edited:
huh? but why? whyyyyyyyyyy :(
I thought you like the game.

I was trying to like it but it won't let me.

The atrocious camera problems are not addressed in this patch, the smoke, lighting, magic effects, etc that totally block my view will probable never be addressed .( although I seem to be the only one complaining about them, can the rest of you see through all that?)

Still no way to select my entire party or lasso a couple guys, separate buttons to hold position and then release hold position. You get a bonus if you give an archer the high ground but every time I do the second I switch to another guy the archer goes running off. Teammates will often seemingly chase one monsters forever, leaving me to die in a big group until I notice they've run off but then their too far away to help anyway.

Tactics options for characters are now very limited. Why? Found a weapon and went to equip it but it tells me I need to get to level 9, WTF? I'm only level 4 after 6 hours of playing so I guess in another 7 hours I'll be able to use that weapon by which time I'll probably have weapons I can't use until level 15. I assume this is to compensate for getting rid of attribute progression at level up. Again why? more Diablo kind of crap I guess which is what the combat system has turned into. Click , Click, click, tap a skill wait for the cool down and repeat. I could just play it in strategy mode if the camera wasn't all but broke.

In summary the combat is just terrible imo and since there's a ton of it, it's making for a game that's not very fun at the moment.

I believe they were concentrated on xbox 360 in this patch, the game on that one was almost unplayable with crapload of bugs caused by other critical bugs that don't even exist on other platforms.

Camera in tactic view is still horrible. They didn't even touch the controls, added bloody F to loot all like we didn't already have space... *sigh*
Smoke, lighting... Are you playing the game on two SLI cards? If yes, is it possible to disable one?

I believe they were concentrated on xbox 360 in this patch, the game on that one was almost unplayable with crapload of bugs caused by other critical bugs that don't even exist on other platforms.

Camera in tactic view is still horrible. They didn't even touch the controls, added bloody F to loot all like we didn't already have space… *sigh*
Smoke, lighting… Are you playing the game on two SLI cards? If yes, is it possible to disable one?

That's why I'm going to wait and see what the next patches do. I want to play the game eventually as there does seem to be some good in it.

I do have sli, what will disabling one help?

Back
Top Bottom