RPGWatch - Wave Of Darkness Interview

I want to know if martial characters can also expect special attacks now?
What about Stealth?
More spell options to combine? Like being able to target ground with AoE spells not just yourself?! Being able to cast a real Fireball or Chain Lightning is kind of important.

I honestly don't remember a lot about LoD, but I played the bejeezus out of it. Just looked-160 hours in LoD. I will go back and try it again someday, but the amount of games getting released nowadays is unreal. I only play crpgs and I can't keep up. Of course, you can blame Skyrim for a lot of that. If I'd uninstall my Bethesda fixes, I'd get more new games played.

I don't think LoD was a bad game but it would have been better if it was released in to Early Access and then after 6 months of polish finalized. That kind of polishing did wonders for Divinity Original Sin and Wasteland 2.

The thing is though as crpgnut says there are so many games coming out that if your product does not stand out and deliver it is too easy to get lost in the crowd, and the tolerance for error seems to be shrinking.

I for one will certainly keep an eye on the Wave of Darkness KS and see where it goes from there.

Never bought this, as the respons from the watch was very negative. I wish them luck on their next game, I'll buy it if it's good.

Came only to say hi, aaaand…
Samo da znaš, ima tu i domaćih. :D

Endless respawns again or this time it'll be something like Divinity: Original Sin aka no_phoenix powers on mobs spectacularity?

:D Di si zemljak ;-)

I want to know if martial characters can also expect special attacks now?
What about Stealth?
More spell options to combine? Like being able to target ground with AoE spells not just yourself?! Being able to cast a real Fireball or Chain Lightning is kind of important.

Anyway, both are great questions and I'll have to talk with the team if I can reveal those specifics right now. Saved them into Evernote :)

Last edited:
I honestly don't remember a lot about LoD, but I played the bejeezus out of it. Just looked-160 hours in LoD. I will go back and try it again someday, but the amount of games getting released nowadays is unreal. I only play crpgs and I can't keep up. Of course, you can blame Skyrim for a lot of that. If I'd uninstall my Bethesda fixes, I'd get more new games played.

Whoa dude, 160 hours! All I can say is - that's amazing!

I wish there was more people like you at Steam community. I'm not saying LoD didn't have flaws, but many Steam users with like 0.2 hours into the game "reviewed" it with "WORST GAME EVAR". We respect constructive criticism :)

Also, yeah, the amount of great RPGs getting released is pretty overwhelming. Skyrim surely set the bar pretty high for all future RPG titles.

Alright guys, I have some answers for you.

Spell System:

It received several significant changes, and we're working on the several more. For example, you'll be able to boost the power of the spell while using it and level-up the spell. The spell tooltip will have display bar which will tell you when you will reach the next level of that spell.

Inventory space:

A completely new system which now supports purchasing of new sacks and thus expanding the inventory space according to the needs of the player.

Endless respawns:

- Some monsters never respawn;
- We can change their respawn time;
- All suggestions are welcome, but please let's now forget we're talking about a big world which is free to explore.

Thanks Couch, some well deserved pub for these guys. The game started off rocky but they got the game stable and playable albeit, not fast enough form some. I also thought that except for a couple of curious lapses, the Dreamatrix team was mostly responsive on the Steam forums. And overall, I thought they did a pretty good job handling the complaints over there.

Iggy
Glad to see you're over here. We spoke a couple times on the Steam Forum.

My concerns/needs/interests with your next game are:
1) I demand (?) a save anywhere feature
2) FIX that camera angle. I would prefer a flexible over the head 3rd person view
3) No re-spawns unless it's after some kind of chapter break (ala Gothic 2)

Let me tell you why I think #3 is important. RPGs are all about character growth and progression. To me it's more than just leveling up it's also about taming the land. By having monsters respawn it takes away for the game world immersion and turns the game into a kind of silly grind. I will admit, in my play through of LOD it did take some time for the monsters to re-spawn but I sure did groan when they reappeared. And the LOD game world was large and lovely - I saw no need for the monsters to reappear.

In any event, I look forward to your next game.

#4 Unlimited inventory

With all the stones and gems and what nots you had to accumulate to create spells and unlock chest, the inventory limitation was extremely bothersome and cumbersome. Literally, inventory management was a far too significant part of the game once I started being more proficient in the game world.

If you want to keep the inventory limited than perhaps make acquiring spells limited, thus freeing up space

Thanks Couch, some well deserved pub for these guys. The game started off rocky but they got the game stable and playable albeit, not fast enough form some. I also thought that except for a couple of curious lapses, the Dreamatrix team was mostly responsive on the Steam forums. And overall, I thought they did a pretty good job handling the complaints over there.

Iggy
Glad to see you're over here. We spoke a couple times on the Steam Forum.

My concerns/needs/interests with your next game are:
2) FIX that camera angle. I would prefer a flexible over the head 3rd person view

Let me tell you why I think #3 is important. RPGs are all about character growth and progression. To me it's more than just leveling up it's also about taming the land. By having monsters respawn it takes away for the game world immersion and turns the game into a kind of silly grind. I will admit, in my play through of LOD it did take some time for the monsters to re-spawn but I sure did groan when they reappeared. And the LOD game world was large and lovely - I saw no need for the monsters to reappear.

In any event, I look forward to your next game.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions Dajjer.

About your questions and concerns:

We have an ability to save anywhere

Camera will have improvements. You can view more now.

Thanks for suggestion ;)

Alright guys, I have some answers for you.

Spell System:

It received several significant changes, and we're working on the several more. For example, you'll be able to boost the power of the spell while using it and level-up the spell. The spell tooltip will have display bar which will tell you when you will reach the next level of that spell.

Inventory space:

A completely new system which now supports purchasing of new sacks and thus expanding the inventory space according to the needs of the player.

Endless respawns:

- Some monsters never respawn;
- We can change their respawn time;
- All suggestions are welcome, but please let's now forget we're talking about a big world which is free to explore.
Implement a way to cast AoE at targets, not just single target damage. Also how about adding in summons, invisibility, teleport and so on.

Inventory.. please remove same items that are of different levels and as a result not being able to stack. Lots more inventory space does not fix this problem.

Respawns are OK if you let players do something to stop it, like kill the Spider Queen in the spider nest that kills spider respawns in that area.

Hey Iggy, I have a question if you have time...:)

I hope you don't take offense to this, because I'm definitely not trying to be mean, but...the character models in the first game were...um...I personally thought they were really bad. ^.^; (I'm sorry to put it that way) Can we expect better character models in WoD? More importantly, can we expect more options in the way of character creation/customization?

Respawns are OK if you let players do something to stop it, like kill the Spider Queen in the spider nest that kills spider respawns in that area.

I don't consider that a re-spawn but a monster characteristic. That trope is often used in RPGs. It usually deals with plant, bees and sometimes spiders (Risen 3). Annoying but challenging monsters to fight, however once you defeat them, that's it. Actually I think LOD had a plant or bee monster that continued to spawn . . . or was that Divinity O.S.??? . . . maybe both.

Implement a way to cast AoE at targets, not just single target damage. Also how about adding in summons, invisibility, teleport and so on.

Inventory.. please remove same items that are of different levels and as a result not being able to stack. Lots more inventory space does not fix this problem.

Some stuff you mentioned is already implemented. E.g., Marko finds it super amusing to summon a badass monster among enemies and watch them fight :)

We worked a lot on the inventory and the items, and we'll do more. We can say it will offer a completely new feeling.

Also, really nice idea for the respawn. Note taken.

Hey Iggy, I have a question if you have time…:)

I hope you don't take offense to this, because I'm definitely not trying to be mean, but…the character models in the first game were…um…I personally thought they were really bad. ^.^; (I'm sorry to put it that way) Can we expect better character models in WoD? More importantly, can we expect more options in the way of character creation/customization?

Of course I have time!

All our characters are made of "parts" in order to drop off during the fight when things get pretty nasty, and we can't abandon that system. That being said, we are working right now on the Elementals, and we believe it will look nice when you break the parts off the Elemental.

The new character creation options depend on the time. We know the character creation options in Dragon Age Inquisition look pretty awesome. :) Feel free to make some suggestions and we will definitely consider them ;-)

Man, I hate it when my parts drop off!

Thanks Flying Dutchman!

Also, if you guys and gals have any additional questions regarding Wave of Darkness, I'll be happy to answer!

Thanks for nice interview, Couch and Dreamatrix guys. I hope the game will be successfull.

Also, if you guys and gals have any additional questions regarding Wave of Darkness, I'll be happy to answer!

I have some.
- Do you plan some non-combat activities or skills (aside from crafting)? Like social skills (in dialogues), puzzles in dungeons, gambling, alchemy… ?
- Are there (usually) more ways to solve quests?
- It seems you focus on open world and side quests. Does it mean it will have really simple main story or not?

Is it first time when someone used RPGWatch to announce new game? It looks like a dawn of lege… eh :) … dawn of new bright future for the site. Maybe one day Dragon Age 22 will be announced on RPGWatch. :biggrin:

I'm looking forward to Wave of Darkness! I funded LoD through Kickstarter at the physical copy level and I'm happy with the game.

LoD is far from perfect but Dreamatrix delivered on their promises. I'm willing to fund them in the future.

Back
Top Bottom