Obsidian Entertainment - PS:T, Alpha Protocol 2 Comments

Dhruin

SasqWatch
For some reason sites are chasing non-existent games from Obsidian. GameBanshee sends word they followed up Chris Avellone for his thoughts on a return to the Plansescape universe (assuming such a thing would ever happen):
The Planescape universe provides a lot of opportunities for great narratives and adventures. As such, Torment shouldn't be a constraint for further adventures in the universe - the story in Torment I felt ended as it should, and I wouldn't want to do a narrative follow-up to that title. The Planescape universe is a little too rich to start imposing a sequel framework on it like that.
Again, this is exactly what he said in 2007.
For the other item, Zohaib writes about a newsbit at Nowgamer that quotes Feargus Urquhart as saying they'd be up for Alpha Protocol 2, if the opportunity presented (which it won't):
When asked if he’d ever go back and revisit old IP, Urquhart admits that he would happily make a sequel to the spy game. “Of course. We’re not making Alpha Protocol 2 but I would make Alpha Protocol 2. To do a job like this, sometimes you have to be optimistic, you have to look to the future and say ‘We can do better.’ And I always believe that.”
More information.

And I want Torment2 no matter what Avellone says.

Am I the only one that loved Alpha Protocol ?

Yes, i know it was flawed in many ways. But if you played it as stealth character. And actually played it as RPG game. It was real real good.

But yes. Obsidian getting kicked because they are the only ones with guts to try something new. As always

I loved Alpha Protocol. It had it's flaws but the branching story and quality of dialog made up for it, even easier to appreciate with multiple playthroughs.

I can't recall exactly what was released last year but I'm pretty sure it was my 2010 GOTY.

With regards to AP the wording is interesting. He says "we're" aren't making AP2 but that "I" would. Reads as the company won't take the risk on AP2 though he would. I don't know the sales figures for AP but the perception was that it "bombed".

Even CEOs have to listen to their Finance Directors.

Can't see it happening in the current economic climate but would like to be wrong.

Sega owns the IP - and they are on the record as saying they aren't interested in a sequel - so Feargus' desire is pretty irrelevant.

I absolutely loved AP, for the record.

Loved AP. It's an instant classic, it clearly set the bar up for dialog. WItcher 2, clearly has influences from it, and thank god for that.

Again, this is exactly what he said in 2007.

Hehe. And from me asking, again! I know, I know Dhruin, it's just one of those things devs keep getting asked about and repeating. People don't have very long memories.

Both games are unlikely due to the publishers, yeah.

Sega owns the IP

Actually according to Patrick K Mills (ex-Obsidian dev, responsible for the Rome hub for a time) that's not true: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...d=19836&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post383184333

Of course, this doesn't really change the fact that it's very unlikely that a publisher would tackle an Alpha Protocol 2. And on that matter.. why should Obsidian? Wiser to try to do, as they say, a spiritual successor instead of carrying the legacy of a failed IP... plus Alpha Protocol's story was nicely wrapped up at the end, no need to reopen stuff.

Hehe. And from me asking, again! I know, I know Dhruin, it's just one of those things devs keep getting asked about and repeating. People don't have very long memories.

Both games are unlikely due to the publishers, yeah.

For some reason it bugs me that every site on the internet (yes, including us now) has OBSIDIAN ON PS:T2!!!!!! headlines, when the reality is Feargus gave an obvious answer to a leading question.

Actually according to Patrick K Mills (ex-Obsidian dev, responsible for the Rome hub for a time) that's not true: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...d=19836&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post383184333

Of course, this doesn't really change the fact that it's very unlikely that a publisher would tackle an Alpha Protocol 2. And on that matter.. why should Obsidian? Wiser to try to do, as they say, a spiritual successor instead of carrying the legacy of a failed IP… plus Alpha Protocol's story was nicely wrapped up at the end, no need to reopen stuff.

Thanks for the clarification. I have a distinct memory of Feargus acknowledging Sega's ownership, so I'll have to dig around but it seems my memory is getting inventive.

Even I as a non-Obsidian fan (and non-Black Isle fan as well) have to say that AP was much better than what people made it out to be.

Though it might depend a little...

I played the game the stealthy, non-lethal way with the intention of finishing it with zero kills (which almost worked... I ended up with one accidental kill that I have no idea where or how it happened).
Anyway, playing the game this way I felt that it was an excellent Thief-like, special ops style experience with great atmosphere, interesting locales and characters, a pretty decent story (not great but interesting enough to keep you going) and -minus some annoyances- decent gameplay as well. Playing the game sneaky and non-lethal was a lot of fun since you always needed to plan ahead like how to take out or avoid a (bunch of) guard(s) etc. - Good times all around.

However, I can definitely see how the game would be less enjoyable for players who opt for a more combat focused or violent style. That's when the weaknesses of the engine, the consolized UI, the poor AI, the bugs etc. really begin to shine through and I wouldn't want to play the game like that.
But for anyone who is interested in a Thief-like or Splinter Cell/Hitman-like experience, well, AP is highly recommended. Best stealth game in a long time and they have really nailed the spy thriller atmo.

For some reason it bugs me that every site on the internet (yes, including us now) has OBSIDIAN ON PS:T2!!!!!! headlines, when the reality is Feargus gave an obvious answer to a leading question.

Yeah I know. I just thought it better to clear it up publicly since MCA had commented on it on the likes of Facebook. Sometimes that's just the way it goes with such stories.

What it should be telling the owners of these properties is that there is an audience and a developer to make them though they have probably done the math and figure its not worth risk. For the record I would love another game set in Planescape or similar setting but not one about the story of TNO as that is played out. I want the story of how Morte became the Head of Vecna or something completely different. Unfortunately WtoC has effectively killed the setting and Atari has the license still I think and they are going ARPG route if anything.

It's an instant classic, it clearly set the bar up for dialog.

With timers in the dialogs ? Uh...

There were two intentional features which I absolutely hated and resulted in an instant no-play for me : timers in dialogs and no (quick-)saving. Since it's been a while, have there been some mods which changed that ?

I thought Atari only had the license to do Forgotten Realms based games and not other WOTC licences.

Loved AP. It's an instant classic, it clearly set the bar up for dialog. WItcher 2, clearly has influences from it, and thank god for that.

Seconded.

Don't know why people disliked the timed dialogue & inability to try out different conversation branches, I thought it worked brilliantly.

I thought the concept of the timed dialogue was OK, but there were quite a few points where it could have used some work. It worked well at making me choose the option that most represented the way I was feeling at that point of the play-through rather than sitting back and trying to figure out where each one might lead. There were one or to options that didn't mean what I'd interpreted them to mean, but it didn't happen often enough to be a big problem.

The main problem I had was that there were several conversations where I had to choose a response to something the person I was talking to hadn't finished saying yet. I basically ended up agreeing to or refusing things without knowing what they were. If the timer started after the other party stopped talking I'd probably have been fine with it.

Back
Top Bottom