Skyrim Anyone know how to run skyrim without steam?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
I still want to know if these Steam-haters are the anti-cookie brigade from the late 90's!

So I'm super existed about Skyrim, hold off on viewing all the cracked footage, go down to my local store buy a copy today and go home to install it, and what do I see, It need some freaking 3rd person program to run, well thank you very much Bethesda, Next game you come out with I'll go with the more user-friendly cracked version.

I have strong opinions agents steam and programs like it, so I'm hoping maybe someone can help me find a way to run the game without steam.

PS. sorry if I can needed to vent but crap like this is why people turn to cracks.
I agree and right now, I dont want to even play the game, .I used to buy a pc game, I knew it was mine, I didnt have to use some account online, it was a wonderful escape. now, I received Skyrim and much to my shock, I have to have a Steam account and play it online, oh sure, there is offline mode, is it any differnt, we have rented a game, I really resent this just as you do...Im so disappointed.

Actually you did agree to buy steam it states it clearly on the box. I was just trying to help you out didn't know you'd be a dick.
Ok, Im not so sure how to do that, i would love to do just what you have, play it offline mode, and disable the online community, so, I tried that, somehow Im not getting it right, but then again, Im not that techy, but I honestly love Bethesda's games. Thanks for the advice, now what really gets to me is after spending valuable time joining steam, I have to figure out how to unjoin? Thanks for any help.

oh no, its not that at all, as for me, I want to buy a game, play it on my pc, own it, and make my decision if I wish to join an online community or peacefully just do as Ive done usually, play it on my pc, not on an online community Im forced to join, thats it simply put.:)

I bought my game retail, through amazon.com, I dont feel I own this game, I cannot take it somewhere, install it, and play, create a new character, sorry but this game should be playable without Steam, not an afccount Im forced to use onlinje, and since I live in the mtns, there are only a few high speed servers, and they charge download, and once that is gone, if i stay online for hours playing a game, i cant even get online..unless I upgrade to what probably will be 150.00 a month, or more, so having to stay online to play Skyrim, for me, is going to cost more than my car payment each month. I wish I could own and install this game I purchased. That's all I ask for. To own it, install it , and play it, and if i needed an update, a place to do so, as it is, Im basically renting it. If people want to accept this now, all games perhaps in the future will be rented to you, you must be online and you really do not own it.

While I dont mind paying a bit extra for high speed where I live, I do find it tedious and wrong, to have to up the costs I now pay, simply because Skyrim is played through Steam..and again, I want to install the game and have that choice, not be forced, I feel this strongly, and I have some very expensive costs ahead of me, if I choose to go ahead and play through Steam...anyway, I really love games, and i do love Bethesda's, but this forcing of Steam and extra costs to me, will skyrocket once I start playing...I wish they had chosen to give players a choice.

You don't need to be online to play Steam games - you can run Steam in Offline mode and access and play your games (Steam->Go offline). The exception ofcourse is when you want to play multiplayer games, in this case you need to run Steam in online mode.

That's not a very hard riddle. Some quick answers off the top of my head:

- It removes Day 0 piracy on the PC (100% effectively, as far as I know). That encourages people to buy in the crucial early days when everyone has to have it *now*
".

I am lost about: I bought Daggerfall, Morrowind and all expansions (maybe the best game ever) and Oblivion. TES III and IV at the first day it was out. But I will not buy TES V first of all because of steam, and marginally because of quest markers (removing them you will not have information to find things anyway).
Is it a win for choosing steam?

How is that any different from Oblivion?

It is exactly the same for this, I was extremely disappointed for that in Oblivion as well and was hoping that the biggest improvement from Oblivion to Skyrim was removing markers and adding more descriptions, more real gathering information to finish the quests (not just heading to the next person I have to speak with / going in the direction of a marker in a dungeon), more books to read, and so on... but this side of the problem is a little out of topic.

The other problem is steam, I heard too many complains about it, from friends and on forums (also people happy with it on forums, maybe 50%?), machine is almost a fresh installation and serves primarly for work, should I install and risk to mess with it just to play one single game?
Then also reading on the forums, it is not so clear if you can still play completely offline after installing a patch that has been released.

Negligible resources that your computer will have spare because Skyrim doesn't need more than a couple of cores and gigs of RAM. :p (Skyrim's so light on resources and stable with task flipping that I routinely keep everything open in the background and alt-tab around).
If only something like 4% of people pirating a game buy it, the revenue would double. So even if DRM doesn't affect 96% of pirates, it'd still be worth it.

Presumably because it was part of their agreement in getting Steam services from Valve (advertising, server bandwidth, content delivery platform etc.).

Well you've obviously never modded the heck out of it. I already have been into a dwarven mine when I didn't have the 4gb mod turned on and had textures disappearing, Amazingly turning on the 4gb switch fixed it. Negligable? Its not even negligable in cost. How much do you have to pay for you're internet connection?

Anyway, seeing as how I couldn't take it back I had a play with it and found I could completely uninstall steam and still have the game. Don't think it will work with updates though and took a bit of effort copying out of the registry. Now I can put it anwhere I want. Just like I own it. I also had to download the original tesV.exe which increases the risk of virus. guess i'll see.

I must say well done bestheda. the land mass already has the oblivon, daggerfell and morrowind landmasses that you can travel to if you turn border regions off.

Actually you can't walk on them. you just fall through but there there. Would be nice to see oblivion in skyrim like morrowind was in oblvion.

Last edited:
If only something like 4% of people pirating a game buy it, the revenue would double. So even if DRM doesn't affect 96% of pirates, it'd still be worth it.

If only 4% of people pirating buy it but 20% of people who would normally buy it don't because they don't like steam then where is the profit? I didn't buy F.e.a.r. 3 because F.e.a.r. 2 had steam. I wonder how many other people didn't buy it. Funny I don't even remember hearing about a f.e.a.r 4. Maybe its just me or maybe they didn't think it was worth making.

I installed Skyrim on 11/11 and was also peeved by the Steam requirement. Then I discovered I could run the game from the tesV.exe file without having Steam run. Now, I have no problem with allowing Steam to run on my computer, but I DID notice that the game ran MUCH more smoothly WITHOUT Steam. Somehow my game got updated and I lost the ability to play without Steam running, and now I have mouse stutters and other play issues back!!!

And yes, I DID apply all the recommended tweaks and fixes to the game ane the ini files…

My solution will be to watch for a good torrent and shelve this hardcopy of the otherwise great game.

Even though I find nothing inherently WRONG with Steam, I DO feel that I ahould not be FORCED to use it to play a game I have paid for, especially when Steam-free cracked copies are available within HOURS of the game's release!

Oh and by the way... I wasted the better part of a day figuring out why my game WOULDN'T RUN all of a sudden! I uninstalled and reinstalled it TWICE before I discovered that the problem was that the update had messed with my files!

I love Steam, but I'm playing without it until they get the issues resolved. I'll skip patches so that I can play without crashing. Eventually, they'll get the crash issue resolved and I'll reenable steam and carry on. For anyone on Windows 7, you can just restore previous version on the TESV.exe file and choose the one dated 11/10/2011 or 11/11/2011. I don't know if this will work for the 1.2 patch, but it worked fine for the sneak patch that changed the executable. I believe the 1.2 patch deletes the previous version files, but I really don't know. Another option might be to do a system restore back to 11/11.

I just found out that the editor is going to have valve's steamworks intergrated into it. Supposedly it will allow you to make you're mods and upload them so other people can download them. I'm pretty sure nexus already had this covered. I actually installed the latest nexus mod manager and all I need to do is click on a button and it downloads it automatically. I guess my question is going to be will I be able to run the editor without steam. I've already got the game running without it and i'm not really interested in the 1.2 patch. Its been running pretty well so far. I think a lot of the crashes are memory related.

If I can't run it without steam, does anyone know of a descent open world game that you can mod the heck out of and not have to worry about being connected to the net constantly. I visisted my computer shop the other day and nearly all of the games required some type of constant internet connection. I was going to buy the witcher or dragonage but both of them were constant internet or steam. mw3 was also on the cards but it also required steam.

wE TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU WE ARE NOT GOING TO BUT THIS OR ANY GAME EVER THAT NEEDS STEAM TO PLAY IT AND ITS UTTERLY DISGUSTING AFTER PAYING ALL THAT MONEY OUT THAT YOU FIND YOU NEED STEAM TO RUN IT THEN HAVE TO SEND IT BACK

Calm down please. You don't want Steam? Ok, wait a year or a few and you'll be able to purchase the game without Steam from GOG. If you just have to play the game now, well, either say yes to Steam or do some "hacking". It's simple as that.

It's true however that the patch 1.2 was a failure especially because Steam apllied it without asking us, but in a mere few days it was corrected with the patch 1.3. Not only that but soon the next patch will be out for PC that teaches the game to use more RAM if available (no 3rd party LAA needed anymore). Once you accept Steam as a necessary evil the life will look easier. And c'mon, I really don't see a reason to get all grumpy over it, it's not like Ubisoft's DRM.

I'm also in agreement with the original poster. Skyrim is a remarkable offering yet the mandatory Steam software is, to me, offensive.
Why? because I don't like other people accessing my computer at any time and for any reason. It's a privacy principle.
Nor can Steam claim security. Recent events have proved otherwise.
Bethesda offerings have provided me with needed relaxation for years. I've bought them all and given them as gifts on a number of occasions but I will no longer purchase any product contaminated with Steam. When Steam can access a computer and change files without case by case consent I feel we have a situation where we must say that that situation is intolerable.
Yes, I am aware that Steam 'allows' me to play my legitimately purchased product offline but it still lurks in the background and thus may possibly be the cause of a number of recently reported Skyrim problems.
And finally, does Steam prevent piracy? I don't have enough data to make any valid comment - but I note that 'cracked' (i.e. non-Steam) versions of Skyrim are now freely available on certain sites.

Last edited:
I still can't understand Steam hate. STILL.

Although the person with the reverse caps post illustrates the way these peoples minds must work.

Back
Top Bottom