Roguelike Ultima Ratio Regum

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Just found an interesting roguelike in development. It's an ambitious project being done by a PHD student over at York. The game is called Ultima Ratio Regum....odd name. It's a combination of roguelike, RPGs and strategy games. Here are the details and features:

Ultima Ratio Regum is a middle-ground between roguelikes, RPGs and strategy games. As such, it has a number of unusual or unique features. Click each to find out more:

⇓ Over 170,000 spawnable weapons

⇓ Complex AI with their own motivations, loyalties and objectives

⇓ Dozens of factions and species to gather support from

⇓ No limit to the size of armies the player can equip and command

⇓ 300+ types of creatures, including name generator

⇓ 14 varied creature languages

⇓ Fully modelled sight, hearing, and stealth mechanics

⇓ No in-built quests; pick your own allegiances and objectives

If he pulls off half of this list it still would be impressive. I'm especially looking forward to seeing if he can do the complex AI. I like Dwarf Fortress, but I don't nessarily like playing dwarves :)

The alpha is supposed to be out by the end of this year. In the meantime there are some screenshots and blog entries on what he's done so far.

Hey!

URR programmer here - thanks for posting this, skavenhorde :). Just thought I'd come and say hello since I've posted a big update about the world map. Here's a quick small version -

World-map-300x300.png

The full version and more info can be found on the blog link skavenhorde posted! If people are interested, I'll be sure to keep this thread updated :). Thanks all!

Welcome to RPGWatch and I look forward to seeing what you can do with this roguelike.

Back
Top Bottom