Dead State - Patch 1.0.0.280 Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Double Bear posted a major update on Steam this week for Dead State.

Woo, the update is finally here! As promised, this is a content-heavy patch with some popularly requested features. Let’s talk about the big highlights first, then we’ll get the rest of the details down below.

So Iron Man Mode is here, yay! However, it’s different than what we originally had planned. We’ve decided to split up Iron Man, Hardcore difficulty, and Player Infection rather than have the latter two be grouped into Iron Man’. You can see all three of these options when you start a new game now, although Hardcore and Player Infection aren’t implemented yet and will be in a future update. The reason we decided to separate these into three options on a new game was that we wanted to allow players to choose their own experience. Hardcore and Player Infection require a ton more internal testing before we release them into the wild, thus why they’re not in the current patch. Furthermore, we are planning a pretty big balance pass and AI adjustments for a future Patch, so the way Hardcore difficulty works will be greatly influenced by those changes. In the meantime, we hope you’ll start up a new Iron Man mode and challenge your skills!

We added in a bit more resolution for Parisa's storyline - which was never intended to be an ending - plus some more zesty character development. If you'd like to know more about this particular aspect of the game, here's a link to where it lives on the forums (and beware, it contains SPOILERS!): Parisa's Storyline Design Notes.
More information.

I guess I will wait till they also added Hardcore Mode until I'll try it out.
While Ironman seems very tempting I am not so sure if the game has the structure to support that. A very long campaign which might show up some bugs might kill any fun of Ironman.

I guess I will wait till they also added Hardcore Mode until I'll try it out.
While Ironman seems very tempting I am not so sure if the game has the structure to support that. A very long campaign which might show up some bugs might kill any fun of Ironman.

Yeah, I think waiting for hardcore and player infection is the way to go. Maybe another month or so I guess. I'm a bit wary of Iron man mode. Last time I played one was Xcom Enemy Unknown. I think I put about 20 hours into the game and then my one save game file got corrupted and I was shit out luck and had to start over. I guess it was stupid of me not to periodically back up my save game but you live you learn...

Had a similar experience with Xenonauts, where I experienced a couple of bugs and the further I progressed, the more bugs appeared. Just that the amount of hours i put into one game was well beyond 100. Bugs+Ironman are just game killers at that point.

Furthermore, we are planning a pretty big balance pass and AI adjustments for a future Patch.

Guess that will be the ticket for me to play this game.

Looks like the norm in our days is to sell unfinished/unpolished products:(

And i am not willing to be an unpaid beta-tester and pay for being one...

Looks like the norm in our days is to sell unfinished/unpolished products:(

And i am not willing to be an unpaid beta-tester and pay for being one…

Sadly some people here think that if you do that, you "have no heart" or whatever.

Dead State was released in an unacceptably rough state. In any other industry doing this would be flatly unacceptable.

Well, make a note in the log - today I agree with HHR!

I think many of these early access and crowdfunded games treat customers very badly, and I find a lot of the talk about being supportive to the developers pretty silly.

Honestly, I don't see a wave of half-finished amateurish material in the market as a good thing, and I think a much more hardheaded approach to backing projects would be positive.

I would agree with the above posters, it is both an insult to those that pony cash upfront and any new/prospective customers to release products in such shoddy states. Other than not supporting them, though, I'm not sure what else can be done at this point, as it seems to have almost become the norm.

Sadly some people here think that if you do that, you "have no heart" or whatever.

Dead State was released in an unacceptably rough state. In any other industry doing this would be flatly unacceptable.

Ahhh the hyperbole is strong here.

First, dead state was released in a playable state, just not a very good game at start....all the added patches have made it a better game, but it definitely was playable....you should know this if you had it.

I assume your poor me attitude comes from you being called out in the World of magic thread for your continued trolling of the release and it's bugginess going by what you heard on steam....over and over.

I merely pointed out that $40 was a lot of money compared to what is available on the market and that there were a lot of complaints on the Steam forum, which had no less than 11 stickies to bury the negative feedback. Then you said that since I didn't have the game I shouldn't talk. Well, why would I make such a risky investment?

As for Dead State however, I played it for more than 50 hours. I saw first hand all of its problems.

I'm a programmer too, and I know that if I gave my boss unfinished work over and over, I would be fired. I know that games are extremely complex, but that doesn't mean we should accept to have low standards, and that those who call out glaring problems should be dismissed as "trolls" or "attention seekers".

I merely pointed out that $40 was a lot of money compared to what is available on the market and that there were a lot of complaints on the Steam forum, which had no less than 11 stickies to bury the negative feedback. Then you said that since I didn't have the game I shouldn't talk. Well, why would I make such a risky investment?

As for Dead State however, I played it for more than 50 hours. I saw first hand all of its problems.

I'm a programmer too, and I know that if I gave my boss unfinished work over and over, I would be fired. I know that games are extremely complex, but that doesn't mean we should accept to have low standards, and that those who call out glaring problems should be dismissed as "trolls" or "attention seekers".

Aren't we all experts when it comes to an arguement;)

You didn't merely point out anything you made multiple posts just for attention.

Quite useless to be an expert to assess the situation.

Crowdfunded projects allow a new category of products to be delivered: non games.

Back
Top Bottom