Valkyria Chronicles - Review @ RPG Codex

killias2

Disastrous Fate
Valkyria Chronicles, the recently PC ported strategy RPG from Sega, has gotten quite a bit of attention since its PC release, and now RPG Codex has joined the discussion with their own take. Their conclusion:

Let’s be clear, Valkyria Chronicles is not a perfect game. Its gameplay is noticeably flawed, it has limited replayability and a story chockfull of idiotic clichés. Yet even all those drawbacks combined cannot overshadow what truly is a good game. When it was initially released on the PlayStation 3, everything about it was new: the quasi-European setting circa 1935, the CANVAS graphics engine that resembles a watercolor painting in motion, the fresh take on turn-based gameplay....

Thankfully, this time SEGA only had to release the game and watch the money roll in. An established loyal fanbase and years of positive word of mouth made sure that on the first day, Valkyria Chronicles topped Steam charts ahead of blockbuster hits like Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Assassin's Creed Unity that were also launched back then. Furthermore, the port was way, way better quality-wise than anyone dared to expect at the time, particularly based on previous experience. Now if only SEGA continues this trend, there could be a pretty penny for them to earn, and it would make a lot of people happy, me included.

More information.

I hope to see more parts released on the PC - good review.

I'll just say that Sega let god knows how many people to die who'd love to play it before they ported this game.

Hopefully other such good games won't take so many years.

I haven't played the PC port, but the obnoxious characters stopped my PS3 play-through dead in its tracks. I just hated pretty much everyone.

Let's keep in mind that I used to watch some anime, and that I played a lot of JRPGs through the years. It's not like I'm completely close-minded about this sort of thing.

Still, I'd be happy to see the whole series come out in English on PC. Maybe.. someday.. I'll give it another go.

I just bought it. I only just did first mission after reaching the barracks, the much clicking on the diary for sometimes just a minute of story I find rather annoying and the absence of actual mouse control is hatefull but the combat feels really fun...for now ;)

Yup the menu cries for proper mouse control, but don't let it stop you. Didn't stop me.

killias, it has english voiceover and subtitles are different, while in japanese voiceover it's translation, in english voiceover it's transcription.

I could never use english VO in this game. There is a huge difference for me when one of your sidekicks yells on japanese "yasai banzai" which I find hilarious, while in english VO he yells "vegetables!". Peh!

Next on the porting list... Dead or Alive 5: The Last Round. The release is 5 weeks away and so far the system requirements still just say you need 4GB of main memory, an i5 processor, and Windows 7 Professional 64bit. It's looking dubious.

Zloth, but isn't that MMO? I thought it is...

Back
Top Bottom