Poll : Diablo 3.. To respec or not to respec?

And I thought I wrote the longest posts on this board! ;)

I did indeed read through your post(s) itoqlyas, and this is what I think you said:

That the designers of a game have something in mind when they build it and fans can screw it up by asking for things that don't fit.

I well remember the conflux town--I actually liked it, even if most of the units were useless, and when I build a HoMM3 map I usually throw one in just for fun. I don't think I would have liked goblins with chainsaws any better. :)

Which is to say, sometimes fans have good ideas and sometimes they have foolish ones. I agree that a dev team needs to keep a clear vision in mind when they make their game. And it would be nice to see something more innovative from Blizzard, but I'm willing to wait and see what they do with Diablo III.

And welcome to the boards, itoqylas.

Last edited:
Conflux useless? Can't say I agree, I seem to recall them being quite powerful if used right, but it's been a while since I played HoMM3.

My overall memories of it are positive but IIRC, the elementals were a bit underpowered and not too stout, compared to say the dungeon troops, and the fifth level unit(the Psychic Elemental??) seemed also not up to snuff with some of the other level 5's, but of course, all that was made up for by the Phoenix, which was pretty much unbeatable. Then again, it's been a long time since I played with a straight conflux army, so I could be a bit fuzzy.

Might have to get out one of those maps and check it out. :)

Alternatively Blizzard could include both options to respec or not in the game. But i think it's not one of the important thing for them to consider, and could adds complexity of balancing the game and need even longer development time.

Careful consideration when developing a characters is one of the fun factor when playing single player campaign. And if desperate, or you need cheat or something i bet there will be hacking tool for players who prefer to do the skills redistribution anytime they liked.

Here's the latest word on respecing from a community manager called Bashiock at Blizzard that someone at Gamebanshee picked up on the WoW forums:

There will almost definitely be some sort of system to respec; however, it isn't likely to be as liberal as World of Warcraft. We don't want to lock a player into a system that punishes them for mistakes, experimenting, or lack of knowledge early on in the game. We also don't think a system that allows immediate, complete, and at-a-whim changes to a character spec matches the feel of Diablo. It's likely to be somewhere in between.

That said we still feel like the desire to play the same class again that you may have played before is still a part of the game, and with some ability to respec could potentially require other incentives.

Back
Top Bottom