What games are you playing now?

Guys, a question about X3. Can you play it with a mouse, like Freelancer, or is it joystick only ?

Any way you want. Flightstick, gamepad, kb&mouse, or keyboard only.

Great, thanks. Mouse and keyboard for me.
I was at EB games today and saw a used copy at 13$, but I didnt pick it up. I should have. I also found No One Lives Forever 2 at 3$, and this I took. Read a lot of good things about this game in these boards.

I heard NOLF 2 is pretty good if you like that sort of thing. I played the demo for the first NOLF and didn't really care for it. I don't like too much humor in a FPS, I prefer a dark, serious atmosphere.

I'm playing F.E.A.R. right now and loving every second of it. It's a perfect example of the type of atmosphere I look for in a game.

i've always meant to give fear another try. when the demo first came out i for some reason was turned off and didn't even finish it. JDR13- i thought you would be playing the cc3 demo that was released earlier;)

cc3 demo?

Finished downloading it about 30 minutes ago:)

F.E.A.R. is incredible, but you need a serious rig to play it with all the bells and whistles.

yeah i just finished playing it a few minutes ago. god damn that was the most fun i've had in a full rts since the original empire earth. gonna have to break the bank to buy it when it comes out. i've actually only played the tiberium sun and firestorm games that came out ages ago; they were decent though. personally all that other cold war business doesn't interest me in the slightest. well the only games i haven't been able to play at least with medium settings are oblivion and the demo of dark messiah. most games in fact i can crank everthing to at least to 80% of max quality. the fear demo i played on an old video card though if i recall it wasn't the graphics that turned me off. it on the list though to try again.

If you like FPS's, then you have to play F.E.A.R. It's easily in the top ten shooters I've ever played, maybe even top five, and I've been playing FPS's since the first Doom:)

I've never played any of the Tiberium or Red Alert games. I tried various demos and wasn't impressed. I did play through CC Generals and Zero Hour though, and enjoyed those games a lot.

The screenshots of CC3 look very impressive and I'm looking forward to playing the demo when I get time. I doubt it's going to leave as big an impression on me as Supreme Commander did though. I think Supreme Commander might be the game that finally usurps Starcraft as my favorite RTS of all time.

Oooh, the demo for CC3 is out? Must give it a try...

I played Generals but got annoyed with the way the GLA was represented - a poorly disguised digital version of current world events. Personally I prefer escapism, world events are damn depressing :(

F.E.A.R is friggin scary. I wish they would remove the horror elements, it just creeps me out. Which is, of course, exactly their aim. Alright, i admit it - I'm a wimp :-/

In my opinion, Generals was easily the weakest of all the C&C games. No real cutscenes (which were at least in part responsible for the magic of the other games), and the annoying representation of the parties. Mildly funny at best.
EDIT And what's C&C without Westwood? We'll see how they fared with C&C3.

Last edited:
The more I play it, the more I love Keepsake. :) http://www.keepsake-game.de/
And it's a nice addition (because it's so different) to Railroad Tycoon II. ;)

Keepsake was very nice, but I thought there was too much running from one place to another.

Finally finished NWN2--with mixed emotions. In some ways it did a good job of improving on the Bioware/Black Isle rpg formula, using the best parts like dialogue, impact of one's actions and NPCs with personalities. In others, it relied a bit too much on cinematic cut scenes and linearity, and the ending was just...childish, I guess.But well worth playing and hopefully more will be made of it in the mod community.
Presently playing some Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire alternating with getting some characters leveled up for the new Dream mastery in the upcoming Titan Quest expansion!!!...yes, I know, I need to seek help....:)

Keepsake was very nice, but I thought there was too much running from one place to another.

Yes, it actually is. :) But I don't mind. :)

I enjoyed Keepsake for what it was; a nice change of pace from rpg's!! I still don't understand how the painting puzzle worked!! :)

Just Adventure have a walkthrough... you'll find the solution there. I chose the trial-and-error approach, though. Keepsake was a nice adventure, but by no means a favorite of mine: I already mentioned the tedious jogging, and puzzle difficulty varied enormously. Had difficulty progressed with the story... well, that would have been in order, but it felt totally random.

Last edited:
EDIT And what's C&C without Westwood? We'll see how they fared with C&C3.

From the demo, I'd say that old school Westwood-style C&C is back :) . The cutscenes are back and as cheesy as ever and the overall C&C theme and feel is back again, too.

Performance is great. No single digit FPS bullshit as in Supreme Commander. C&C should run well with a high level of detail on a broad range of rigs.
Music, sounds, voices, graphics, effects ... it's all done really well and typically C&C-ish. The game definitely has a very polished feel to it. One can tell that this one's not going to be a customer beta ;) .

The story seems to be pretty stereotypical C&C as well (at least what you get to see in the demo). GDI is feeling safe and secure believing that Kane is dead while our bald little friend is in reality alive and kicking, of course, and up to no good as usual...

The buildings and units will also look very familiar to anyone who has played the older games. Even the interface is very similar but with some nifty improvements (tabbed browsing of production queues FTW! :) ).

My only gripe so far (having only played GDI) is some minor balancing issues. The WMD (ion cannon and NOD air strikes etc) once again seem to be a little bit too strong. And some of the NOD units are a little overpowered IMHO (forgot what they're called but they look like mechs and they do some very serious damage to your units and base and are hard to bring down... they're much tougher than Mammoth tanks at least which in turn seem to be fairly weak compared to their counterparts from a few years ago).
Also, I'm not quite sure if the AI is playing honest. I played a skirmish vs a medium difficulty AI and lost which is no big deal since I still need to learn to play more effectively but the amount of resources that the AI gathered in the same time as me according to the end game stats makes me very suspicious of the guy (h4XX!!! :biggrin: ) and why he/it as opposed to me never ran out of Tiberium fields to harvest. Strange.

Well, this is a "must have" from playing the demo for me. A little tweaking of the unit strengths/special weapons/abilities and this has potential to become a real classic just like the original C&C and Red Alert series.
I hope that this game is going to be extremely successful and that EA will learn that you can't have a C&C game without the cheesy cutscenes even if it costs a few bucks more than some short rendered clips.
And who knows? Maybe if this turns into a smashing success, it might make them reconsider their treatment (or non-treatment) of some other classic franchises as well (Wing Commander and/or Strike Commander, please, EA! :) ).

you bring up a good point Moriendor about the mammoth tanks. my guess is that the cutscene( or was it the info log?) where they discuss how the old four legged mammoth's were phased out spoke of how theysacrificed sheer power and size for a cheaper cost/more efficient design. maybe this was foreshadowing for when the war breaks out they can 'reintroduce it' in maybe an even grander scale perhaps.

@JDR13-i'm actually not a fan of fps shooters at all, and until the last few years haven't even acknowledged first-person games as more than acceptable. the system shocks, deus ex's and thiefs all changed my mind though but none of those are considered shooters correct? the only fps i've played are the original wolfenstien, both swat 4 games (which to me don't really resemble shooters even if they are--non-lethal 'killing' anyone?), sin-episode , tribes:vengeance. 3 out of those 5 too are all made by the pioneers of hybrid shooters.

@Jaz - I guess it just depends on your personal preferences. I found the cut scenes in earlier C&C games to be a big turn off, the acting was laughable and the fmv scenes seemed really cheesy to me, granted I did not play a lot of those games.

@curious - One of the reasons I like F.E.A.R. so much is because it actually has an incredible story and atmosphere to go along with the action, characteristics that most FPS's lack.

btw: I played the demo for CC3 early this morning and I really liked it. It didn't impress me as much as Supreme Commander, but I'm thinking of getting it when it comes out.

There were only a couple things I didn't care for.

Even though the fmv scenes seemed to be of much higher quality then past C&C games, I still found them to be kind of cheesy. I was pleasantly surprised to see Grace Park(Battlestar Galactica) in them though.

I also find it extremely annoying that you have to build so close to the construction yard, giving the bases a very cramped feeling compared to what I'm used to. I also wish they actually showed the structures being built instead of just popping up out of the ground.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom