Massive stuttering

Gibush

Traveler
Hi. I was playing Precursors yesterday without any patches. I got to about the part where there are Imperial soldiers and the only good way to take them out is with Rockets.

I just installed Wesp5's Unofficial patch (1.3) and started playing. Everything seemed fine. I made a new game (readme told me to) and then got to that part again. I took out a few guys, but after I had looted the first body (on the left) and went over to the right to loot those bodies, it was stuttering so suddenly and badly that it was unplayable. Bursts of speed, and then complete chugging. Looking at the ground didn't even help (like in some games looking at the ground or sky will help framerate because you aren't looking at a ton of buildings/tree's). So weird.

Anyone know what the problem is?
The only thing I changed in the .ini is renderlag to 1, like it recommends.

Sorry to say this game is known to perform badly with ATI cards. You can try the post process fix posted above but it didn't work for me. I ended up having to upgrade to Nvidia 460 but I was ready for an upgrade anyways. Game runs perfectly now.

Oh, that sucks... I thought the only problem with it and ATI cards was flickering, I didn't know performance took such a hit too.

I'll check around for the postprocessing fix I guess.

The only other thing that did work for me was forcing AA in the ATI driver and turning the in-game AA off. This gave me ok fps even with the flashlight but I had white borders around the screen. Basically I got sick of this and other issues with ATI drivers and cards (esp with eastern european games). If you can save up $100-150 you can get a really nice nvidia card which is compatible with pretty much everything.

Do I have to have AA on in the Catalyst? Wouldn't having none at all be the same? (But maybe you're right, because I have none at all right now... and I got the stuttering.)

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it.

By the way, have you (or anyone else who wants to chime in) had any luck with the .ini options? Renderlag, Smooth FPS, etc? Do they do anything good?

I didn't notice much difference messing with the ini settings. If you aren't using AA or AF at all in catalyst or game, I'm not sure what to tell you, but if the stutter is only happening when there are headlights on or in certain areas, it's probably the same problem I was having with however ATI was trying to render (I'm guessing) certain lighting.

Back
Top Bottom