Dark Souls 3 - PC Performance Breakdown

related:

ds3_1920.jpg

http://gamegpu.com/images/stories/Test_GPU/MMO/DARK_SOULS_III/test/ds3_2560.jpg
http://gamegpu.com/images/stories/Test_GPU/MMO/DARK_SOULS_III/test/ds3_3840.jpg
http://gamegpu.com/images/stories/Test_GPU/MMO/DARK_SOULS_III/test/ds3_vram.jpg
http://gamegpu.com/images/stories/Test_GPU/MMO/DARK_SOULS_III/test/ds3_ram2.jpg
http://gamegpu.com/images/stories/Test_GPU/MMO/DARK_SOULS_III/test/ds3_intel.jpg

I think I've posted somewhere PC performance article of that game and IIRC the result wasn't peachy. Sorry, didn't bother to read details so can't remember.

EDIT:
Found it:
http://www.pcgamesn.com/dark-souls-3/dark-souls-3-pc-port-review
Dark Souls III’s PC port is not great. At least not when it comes to graphics options and being able to squeeze some more frames out of the game. On consoles, it’s apparently even worse, with the frame rate being all over the place to the point where it can, unlike the PC version, negatively affect gameplay. So while there’s a huge amount of room for improvement, it still looks like we’ve got the best version.

But another is also up:
http://www.pcgamer.com/durantes-dark-souls-3-port-analysis/
there is a sporadic issue which can occur on monitors with a refresh rate greater than 60 Hz. When this happens, the game will seemingly use wrong timings for its frame limiter, resulting in a lowered framerate independent of actual performance. I wasn’t able to reliably reproduce this issue, so I don’t know exactly which conditions lead to it, but it should be possible to work around it by limiting your refresh rate to 60 Hz before launching Dark Souls 3.

Last edited:
Its pre loading on steam if anyone is interested...

Way ahead of you pre loaded yesterday, I keep clicking it every few hours hoping the will make a mistake and let me play.:lol:

I bought the game last night and added the key to steam and noticed it allowing for pre-load. Anyway going in blind, not played any of the other souls games nor saw or read anything at all on DS3. Hope I enjoy it and its not £30 down the drain :lol:

I'm going in blind as well, Well, that's not exactly true I did play the beta but you couldn't even go in to the character sheet, inventory, level up or anything. It was basically just a combat demo.I've beat DS1,DS2, bloodborne and a little less related lords of the fallen, so I'm well versed in this type of game.

If you like 3 then I highly recommend going back and playing 1. It's my favorite souls game without having played 3 obviously.

My biggest tip would be to be patient. I restarted and quit DS1 3 times before it finally grabbed me. I didn't really see the brilliance of it until about 20 hours in. Then I started getting the hang of it and noticing stuff like the excellent level design, atmosphere, exploration and the complexity of the combat system. The different move sets, poise, encumbrance, enchantments, fat rolls vs fast rolls, back stab and riposte, iframes, turtling vs going in light or unarmored. So many options and things to learn. Learning the system was one of my favorite things maybe that's why DS1 is my favorite.

I envy you, being able to play for the first time. Hopefully 3 is as good as 1.

Dark Souls 6 will probably be out before I find the time to get back to this series. :)

I played a good way into DS1 before I got sidetracked by something else and never went back for some reason. I wish From Software would patch more graphics options and better mouse support into it though. I find it odd that they put a lot more effort into the PC ports for DS2 and DS3 yet never tried to go back and improve the port for DS1.

It's a shame because a lot of PC gamers will probably never even try the later games due to how shitty the port of DS1 was.

Yeah DS1 port was poor, didn't do anything with the graphics and k&m support was nonexistent without Durante's mod.

I will say however that DS1 and 2 were rock solid on PC. I didn't experience any bugs or crashes. Which was surprising.

Anyway, 2 hours until 3 unlocks according to steam.

The game unlocked at midnight for me so only got about 15 minutes of play time! Anyway went with Knight class and wondered about. I managed to 1 shot some of the trash but got 1 shotted in turn by a "crystal lizard"! I did get an warning message saying "Turn back" which I ignored :lol: After a while I got to a frozen knight and pull his word out but he in turn 1 shotted me. Anyway way I went to bed after that.

I am going to have most trouble with how to control the character rather than anything else in this game. Its 3rd person over the shoulder view but the camera and character movement controls doesn't work like all other 3rd person games I have played. Its sort of feel clunky and the movements are not precise. Anyway I need to spend lot more time learning the game's controls it seems....

Are you playing with K+M or a controller? If it's anything like the first game, the learning curve is steeper with K+M.

Are you playing with K+M or a controller? If it's anything like the first game, the learning curve is steeper with K+M.

I am with K+M. I have a PS4 but I am not very good at using the analog stick to control the camera hence why I bought the game for PC!

Thoughts after 3 hours, it's dark souls. If you like the first 2 you'll like this one, if you didn't there's nothing here to change your mind imo.

K&M controls are fine but you still only get Xbox icons. I played 50/50 K&M and ps4 controller so the Xbox only icons are annoying. I'll probably alternate the whole game that way since I play on my nvidia shield and steam link occasionally.

If I had to choose between the 2 it's easily M&K. The percision of mouse look wins all for me even though many say it isn't important in 3rd person action, I find it is. I map strong attacks, parry to my mouse 4&5 buttons so all my attacks are done with mouse. The double click lag from DS2 is gone, no more double click. They now use shift+ lmb/rmb or you can remap it as I did.

i beat the first boss easily and have been a bit disappointed in the difficulty so far. I made a deprived character and pretty much just walked through the beginning area. Just spamming attack is a viable strategy for opening area mobs. That's not something I've felt in souls before. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt though and expect it to get harder. It could also be that I'm not too far removed from 300 hours of bloodborne so that makes it feel easier.

There has been a lot of negative reviews on steam about poor frame rates and crashes. I haven't experienced either and had zero stutter even when streaming to my shield and link. A number of those reviews however listed barely minimum, below minimum specs or laptop gpu. So I'm guessing that's a good chunk of the complaints.

It's been rock solid and load times are minimal. Graphic are meh, but none of the souls games excelled in that area. It doesn't support my 21:9 monitor which is a bummer.

After playing bloodborne it's nice to have a shield again although t kind of feels like a cheat and I often forget I have it anyway.

So far, so good. It's very early though.

Was is pretty easy to get your PS4 controller working with Windows? I had a hell of a time getting my PS3 controller to work, and it's still a PITA sometimes when I try to go wireless.

I'm thinking about breaking down and just getting a 360 or Xbox One controller simply for ease of use.

Was is pretty easy to get your PS4 controller working with Windows? I had a hell of a time getting my PS3 controller to work, and it's still a PITA sometimes when I try to go wireless.

I'm thinking about breaking down and just getting a 360 or Xbox One controller simply for ease of use.

Nope, didn't get it working on Windows, I didn't try very hard though. Its pnp with my nvidia shield streaming DS3 from my PC. It works perfect even the touch screen button thing for gestures.

I'm going to try again on Windows with ds4 program. Just to see if I can get it to work.

The Shield tablet? Interesting that it works so easily with that. Although I'm sure Microsoft has something to do with the difficulty of using Sony controllers with Windows.

Why would you want to play DS3 on the Shield if you don't mind me asking?

It's very easy to get the PS4 controller to work with Windows (well, Win 7 at least). All you need is Inputmapper.
If you want to use it wireless, you need a Bluetooth dongle (or a mainboard with BT on board). I've been using the ASUS USB-BT400 dongle.
Works like a charm, although I have really only used it for driving in GTA IV and, as I said, Win 7 only. I don't know if Inputmapper works flawless on Win 10.

The Shield tablet? Interesting that it works so easily with that. Although I'm sure Microsoft has something to do with the difficulty of using Sony controllers with Windows.

Why would you want to play DS3 on the Shield if you don't mind me asking?

Nvidia Shield console, it's hooked to my 70" 4K tv. I typically play in my theater room on either projector or monitor but sometimes I enjoy playing in the living room. Usually at night for what ever reason if I play in the living room I go to bed earlier. When I play in the theater room I seem to lose track of time and end up regretting it the next day.

I've been using the ASUS USB-BT400 dongle.

That's what I have. :)

Unfortunately, I haven't had the same luck with it. It might be a difference between the PS3 and PS4 controllers, or it might have something to do with Windows 8.1

Nvidia Shield console, it's hooked to my 70" 4K tv. I typically play in my theater room on either projector or monitor but sometimes I enjoy playing in the living room. Usually at night for what ever reason if I play in the living room I go to bed earlier. When I play in the theater room I seem to lose track of time and end up regretting it the next day.

Ah ok. You don't like the Shield controller?

That's what I have. :)

Unfortunately, I haven't had the same luck with it. It might be a difference between the PS3 and PS4 controllers, or it might have something to do with Windows 8.1

Ah ok. You don't like the Shield controller?

It's ok, but I prefer the PS4 controller. I have a steam controller, I might try that next.

Anyway, I got the ps4 controller to work on my PC with DS4 Windows

For whatever reason under the special action tab was a disconnect controller box that was checked. I unchecked and it works perfectly now. I also checked hide DS4 controller in the settings that was recommended by someone on the internet but it didn't work until i unchecked the box under special actions.

Back
Top Bottom