Rain of Reflections - A New Cyberpunk RPG Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Rain of Reflections is a new game from an indie developer calling themselves Lionbite Games. The game sounds interesting so here is a video, and short description

Rain of Reflections tells its noiresque story through three protagonists, two of which are female. The player will get to experience life in the futuristic, dystopian city through all three perspectives, ranging through society’s layers and social classes, interweaving the highly choice-driven journey.

Ambience and mood is an important part of the experience and the player is encouraged to explore the detailed environments in which the adventure is set, learning about the world and its characters (no scattered audio-logs or trails of notes – guaranteed!).

Rain of Reflections finds strengths in limitations. Lionbite Games wants to break RPG conventions by avoiding typical genre mechanics to focus on the very essence. The game will constantly move forward, without fillers, repetitive battles or monotonous grinding.

The battle system is deeply connected to the story and centered around a unique morale mechanic, allowing the player to use environments, ruse tactics, threats and even smart dialogue choices to handle confrontations without resorting to mindlessly blowing enemies to pieces.

Every choice has a consequence. The player is forced to live with them. In the words of the game’s leading characters: “This is my story. This is your story. This is our story. To the very end.”

Rain of Reflections is being developed in the Unity game engine for PC, with additional platforms considered for a later release.
More information.

Last edited:
Well another game I will keep my eye on this year as I love cyberpunk and dystopian settings. It will probably be released before CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 also.:)

Last edited:
Great, there can't be enough RPG developers. :)

With Vampyr and Technomancer this is the 3rd announcement within a few days. Coincidence or is this somehow a clever time for announcements?

I don't like how they're talking about audio logs as if they were bad - as it's one of my favorite ways to experience a story :(

I love the feel of this!

Good trailer. Little bit too ambitious. Requires at least 3 000 000 on kickstarter.

With Vampyr and Technomancer this is the 3rd announcement within a few days. Coincidence or is this somehow a clever time for announcements?

And all three have potential. None is another generic hack & slash or something like that.
And we could also expect KS for Underworld Ascendant and cyberpunk Ama´s Lullaby. 2015 could be a year of fresh indie RPGs with (hopefully) interesting worlds.

Thats not what I meant. Let me correct it:

2015 could be a year of developed/announced fresh indie RPGs with (hopefully) interesting worlds.

I like how this game seems to have tactical combat. I hope it is good.

Rain of Reflections is being developed in the Unity game engine for PC, with additional platforms considered for a later release.

DA3 was marketed as "developed in the EA/Dice game engine for PC, with additional platforms". And we got something else.

This is not EA, but no preorder from me, sorry.

DA3 was marketed as "developed in the EA/Dice game engine for PC, with additional platforms". And we got something else.

This is not EA, but no preorder from me, sorry.
It's called making money Joxer and developers need it to stay in business. ;)
Thats not what I meant. Let me correct it:

2015 could be a year of developed/announced fresh indie RPGs with (hopefully) interesting worlds.
I agree Farflame the only problem is waiting till 2016-17 to finally play them.:excited:

Looks interesting. I will try to keep track of it.

It's kind of amusing how the cyberpunk genre is making babies lately. There was a time where all I could do was replay Deux Ex.

The beginning of the trainer was somewhat promising but then the very first ingame scene showed it's another game where you hop from cover to cover. Not really my cup of tea.
In German we call this Genre "Deckungsshooter". Strange that there seems to be no English genre name for that.

We call them Cover Based Shooters in English Kordanor.^^

Anyway the official webpage calls the game an RPG so I wont call it that.
Not quite :) Just a bit of a fad like pirate or zombie games.
Well I hope the fad continues as Cyberpunk RPGs are hard to find.;)

I like how this game seems to have tactical combat. I hope it is good.

It does?

Like Kordanor, I'm a bit worried that what little they've shown of actual gameplay seems to suggests it's of the cover-based shooter variety... So I'd guess that the combat will either be something like Deus Ex: HR or Mass Effect. I wouldn't really describe either of those systems as tactical.

Of course, taking cover doesn't automatically equal real-time "action" combat. You take cover in tactical turn-based RPGs & Strategy games like Shadowrun Returns / DFDC, X:com, Jagged Alliance, Wasteland 2, etc. But the look in the video looks more similar to the cover-based shooter RPGs.

Back
Top Bottom