Wizardry 8 Party Creation Advice

I don't mind the narrow passages, I just hate how many Rapax samurai you have to fight. It's tedious. Yeah, I don't like Trynton either. I hate those damned Sprites.

EDIT: I've just ascended with my party. Although the monk and mage died like 4-6 times, it was fun.

Also, how the hell did you have enough money to pay off the Trinny at Ascension Peak? 123000?! Are you kidding me? I just spent everything at Ferro's place, and didn't even do all the crafting.

Last edited:
The trynnie offers a different price every time. My experience is that it's always been about 1/4 of whatever I had at the time. Sounds like you got shafted. Didn't really matter for me what his price was, since I don't take kindly to extortion and I'm a dedicated Disciple of the Pointy Stick. ;)

The most annoying part of Trynton, to me, is all the allied trynnies running around. They're not that good at killing monsters, but they block you out during battles and combat gets even longer while waiting for them to move.

Well, I killed Pee Wee, too. If that's what you mean. No way I'm going to hand over that much cash. Except for the custom goods.

Yeah, all the stupid friendly NPCs just get in the way.

By the way, I haven't mentioned this yet, but I didn't use any of the RPCs. Mainly because they don't follow you to some areas and because of XP leeching.

Also, the voice of Sexus and Saxx is pretty cool. But I don't think Sexus is worth his price, especially when he doesn't leave the damn Rapax Rift.

I love some of the RPC's Sparkle and the robot especially as I find they add a lot of humour to the game. Depends what you want and I was willing to lose some XP for the sake of what they add. Mind you, that was after my initial playthrough!! :)

My replay is going well, I've completed to both Mook aliances, 2 holy orbs, and the helmet for the third. Biggest note of the replay so far; man I forgot how much that swamp monkey-boy pissed me off! If he wasn't such a needed source of ammo, I'd have slit his throat before he had a chance to kidnap my gadgeteer! (Has anyone ever done that? Could be interesting, maybe next time.)
Oh, and FYI, my team is:
Lord
Samuri
Bishop
Gadgeteer
Bard
Ranger
With the bard as my locksmith. I am running this time un-moded; my last game, 3 years back, was with the FlameMod, (RIP Flame) which I enjoyed, but felt it made for overpowered char's mid-late in the game. What the game needs, I feel, is a mod that powers up early instead, as that damned Arnika road is still a killer.

Another thing. When I stepped out of Arnika, guess who was there. The Rat Mafia! Asking for protection money. ^_^ I laughed out loud, that was funny. Of course I said no and they had to meet the pointy end.

Anything happened to them after you buy the artifact?

My replay is going well, I've completed to both Mook aliances, 2 holy orbs, and the helmet for the third. Biggest note of the replay so far; man I forgot how much that swamp monkey-boy pissed me off! If he wasn't such a needed source of ammo, I'd have slit his throat before he had a chance to kidnap my gadgeteer! (Has anyone ever done that? Could be interesting, maybe next time.)
Oh, and FYI, my team is:
Lord
Samuri
Bishop
Gadgeteer
Bard
Ranger
With the bard as my locksmith. I am running this time un-moded; my last game, 3 years back, was with the FlameMod, (RIP Flame) which I enjoyed, but felt it made for overpowered char's mid-late in the game. What the game needs, I feel, is a mod that powers up early instead, as that damned Arnika road is still a killer.
I saved my game and killed Crock once just to see what his room looks like upstairs. He didn't have anything special in his chest (other than my missing toon) and it wasn't worth losing a good merchant, so I reloaded and never killed him again.

Trang, Umpani, double agent, or kill em all?

Another thing. When I stepped out of Arnika, guess who was there. The Rat Mafia! Asking for protection money. ^_^ I laughed out loud, that was funny. Of course I said no and they had to meet the pointy end.

Anything happened to them after you buy the artifact?
Nope. The Rattkin branch just kinda stops. If you're feeling uppity, take the Don down rather than paying him. Only way to get that faerie ninja weapon.

Did you ever talk to Rattus Rattus and do his quest? Unfortunately, it's bugged so you can't "cash it in", but doing what he asks can be fun.

Trang, Umpani, double agent, or kill em all?

Double agent.

I am curious what would happen to the kidnap plot if you killed Crock before picking up the idol. Have to try it next time.

I've always robbed the bank before meeting Rattus Rattus. But I'd never split the cash with him anyways. I have the feeling that the game is unfinished. The Rattkin branch kinda stops abruptly, the Rapax Queen's traces in Arnika/Away Camp. And the fact that out of the possible endings, only one has a cinematic. That's a dead give away that either they ran out of time, or money to properly develop this game. It's a shame.

I am curious what would happen to the kidnap plot if you killed Crock before picking up the idol. Have to try it next time.
Definitely never tried that. Let us know how it turns out, if you would be so kind.

I've always robbed the bank before meeting Rattus Rattus. But I'd never split the cash with him anyways. I have the feeling that the game is unfinished. The Rattkin branch kinda stops abruptly, the Rapax Queen's traces in Arnika/Away Camp. And the fact that out of the possible endings, only one has a cinematic. That's a dead give away that either they ran out of time, or money to properly develop this game. It's a shame.
They ran out of money, which then meant they ran out of time. Still, given the immense size of the game, they did a fairly good job of QA. The distributor didn't support patches, but the team did 3 to clean up most of the common bugs, including one game killer. They even personally hand-repaired save game files for folks that got bit by the game killer. You just don't see that kind of caring very often.

You can't do the robbery for Rattus without meeting him. His stickup is separate from pillaging the basement, which is separate from looting the main vault for Miles. You can actually rob the bank 3 times. Damn zerger, missing so much lovingly-created content... ;)

@dteowner: I've started out with the party that you suggested, and so far probably the only problem I have is meeting spell requirements for my hybrids. Building them is a royal pain. Bishop is going for Wizardry/Divinity, so far so good. Only thing I'm missing is Armorplate. Ranger/Valk are getting their spells but very slowly.

I think that playing the Gadgeteer is far more interesting than the Bard, now that I've tried them both. But maybe I'm just biased. I like the fact that you can make wacky gadgets and constantly tweak the omnigun.

With the Bard you're just playing your instruments.

By the way, does the Bard actually cast spells? Can they be silenced? Or it's just the Alchemist that can't be silenced? (since he relies on his component pouch)

I remember that in the Hall of Meditation I couldn't even use my instruments, which was weird.

By the way, does the Bard actually cast spells? Can they be silenced? Or it's just the Alchemist that can't be silenced? (since he relies on his component pouch)

I remember that in the Hall of Meditation I couldn't even use my instruments, which was weird.

Bard's can be silenced.

another vague memory has occurred to me. I seem to recall there was a way to import characters from WIZ6 (in addition to wiz7) involving changing the savegame.dbs filename extension. Am I grossly mistaken, or is this true? and if so, what does it need to be changed to?

thx.

Q: Can I import characters from Wizardry 6, Wizardry 7, or Wizardry Gold?
A: You can import characters from Wizardry 7 or Wizardry Gold, even if you didn't finish the game. However, you cannot import characters directly from Wizardry 6 (Bane of the Cosmic Forge). We had previously stated that this was possible - our apologies for this.

Wizardry 8 FAQ Page

...and so it begins. I have just completed the Rapax Rift and stand before the castle entrance. 7 characters, my 6 all at level 18, and the android at 16. Sea caves and temple of evil completed, so well armed. My bishop has both blizzard and quicksand. Gadgeteer has the vacuum pump, bard has the chaos drone, samuri has firestorm and ranger has toxic cloud. Droid is loaded with eye-for-eye potions and death bombs.
The biggest grind of the game begins now; wish me luck.

Go get em!

So I really started out last night with the intention of playing Grimrock. After I noticed I only had about ten gigs left on a 750 gig harddrive! I went to do some cleanup and discovered my nasty habit after downloading something included unzipping, copying the unzipped portion to a place to install it leaving three files behind. I got rid of 100 gig out of my downloaded files alone.

After all that work, I realized that I didn't want to play Grimrock. What I really wanted to do was replay Wizardry 8.(Damn you DTE) I loaded the game and suddenly its midnight. Damn.

I am using 2 classes I never played before, Lord and Valkrie. Followed by a Monk, Ranger, Bard and Bishop.

I am somewhat hesitant to have to rely on just a Bishop for all the magic and healing. Can this party work or should I swap out something else. I just blew through the starting area so I didn't need much healing so far.

Who, sweet lil ol me? :wings:

mndrew is entering the home stretch. The castle's a slog, but I find that, after that, you jump around to enough locations that the endless combat doesn't get too oppressive. That's why I've got 4 party punts at the Rapax Rift, tho—if you don't like your party for some reason, it's just not worth pushing them thru the Rapax maps.

So then, redman, let's take a look. You've got your ranger for alchemy and potion mixing. You can use the monk for psionics if you like. You've got secondary healing with the lord and valk. You've got various spell-like effects via the bard. I'd say you're perfectly fine for the hocus pocus unless, like Corwin, you strongly shun the Way of the Pointy Stick. You'll probably have to be a little careful between Arnika and the Swamp (give or take, assuming you do things in the "usual" order) since your bishop will be a little behind and your secondary casters won't have gotten enough skill to be useful yet. Once you get to level 13 or so, you shouldn't have any trouble.

How are you building your lord? Mace and flail in anticipation of the Mauler/Diamond Eyes combo, or swords for a sword/baselard combo, or swords and daggers for the "traditional" weaponry?

You've actually got the makings for an advanced formation if the mood strikes you, at least once all your toons melee well. Put the lord left, the valk, ranger, and bard middle, the monk right, and the bishop rear (front is empty). Allows you 5 toons all within short melee range at the same time and spreads out the damage about as well as possible. Obviously, if you do it too soon, the ranger and bard will get chewed up, but from the mid-game on it's a great formation if you've built for it.

Yes I want to go mace and flails. I forgot about the monk and Psionics. Started the Bishop in that direction, want to try and build her to do heals, buffs and crowd control. Yup, the last time I left Trynton, I had some trouble.
I want to move the monk quickly towards maximum attack- is it speed and senses plus martial arts with dual wielding stats not mattering much?
I never finished it because I had a really bad Everquest bug at the time.
Found it in the bottom container with all the big box games which I couldn't resist pulling out some others for later.

Back
Top Bottom