Risen 3: Titan Lords - Preview & Unboxing Video

Afaik no. It has been announced in February and everybody was suprised.

Then it's their own fault that it will more likely fail and they lost a great PR opportunity too. There's no excuse for developing this game in a isolated vacuum.

The other aspect is control. Publishers want control over the community. WoR cannot be controlled.

But WoR is likely the only remarkable risen series community site…

If DS pfefers having control over the community, they better build a better site than WoR :)

And ofcourse I don't know what they are doing in facebook, because I don't use facebook :biggrin:

The lack of previews and the same preorder DLC scheme show a lack of confidence in their product. I have never seen a company put up DLC like a punitive measure for not preordering, never lowering a $20+ price tag for day one content (not just items).

Despite this, the people who seem to have gotten it early are pleased, with the exception of a person on the PS3 R3 forums of Gamefaqs, who says that version looks and plays like R2 with problematic stutters and bad graphics (but he liked the game).

Then it's their own fault that it will more likely fail and they lost a great PR opportunity too. There's no excuse for developing this game in a isolated vacuum.

To be fair, they've addressed some complaints. For example, the German community was up in arms about the Steamworks implementation of Risen 2. Many did not buy the game (or at least said so) because of boycotting Steam.
So Deep Silver listened and the German boxed version of Risen 3 is now DRM-free. It only comes with a DVD check, i.e. you have to have your disc in the drive but that's all.

But that was Deep Silver and not Piranha Bytes. As far as PB is concerned, I'm sure they keep an eye on some of the community's top priority issues though they can also be pretty stubborn and "blind" to criticism.

For example, there's a Risen 2 Gamestar interview where Bjoern Pankratz said that they tried to address the community's wish to have more emotional ties to NPCs [ed: which IMHO was not exactly a success since barely any NPCs from Risen 1 reappeared in Risen 2 and there was certainly no level of NPC relationship building like with e.g. Diego from Gothic].

But then there's also a Risen 2 Gamona interview with story guy Mattias Filler who said that it is pointless to listen to "the community" since "the community" is way too fragmented and doesn't share a common opinion or goals.

As for Risen 3, I'm sure that swimming is back because of community feedback. On the other hand it seems they have not cared much about the widespread criticism with regard to all sorts of food being cumulated into "provisions", instant heal from drinking Grog and no potion drinking animation, the game pausing when accessing the inventory or picking a lock or no weapons reload animation or crafting just taking place in the UI rather than "in the world" etc.
There is a very vocal "old school" part of the community who keeps begging for changes in these departments but no dice.

So as always it's not a simple matter of black & white. They listen some and some is 'fuck you all, we're doin' it our way'.

The other aspect is control. Publishers want control over the community. WoR cannot be controlled.

Publishers should know already that they can't control any RPG community.
They can control only sheep and cattle that is just asking to be milked. And if that's the audience they're targeting, why are they in RPG business at all? They should go make MMOs and phonegames.

In the unboxing video there's a sticker on the collector's edition box which says "DRM Frei". So if the boxed versions will be DRM-free can we expect to buy this game on gog.com on release date?

In the unboxing video there's a sticker on the collector's edition box which says "DRM Frei". So if the boxed versions will be DRM-free can we expect to buy this game on gog.com on release date?
Only the German boxed release will be DRM-Free.
My latest info is that the German versions include English. If the Steam store page is to be believed (it generally is), English Voice and Text exists, so it wouldn't make any sense to only include one or the other in the German version. The rest of the content of the Collector's/Shadow Lord Edition will (most likely) be German-only, though.

Other info, which is the current status quo of knowledge: UK and US won't get a boxed PC version, only digital; The rest of the world (where it will be released) will get boxed PC copies (though, unlike the German one, including Steamworks DRM).

This all is strictly "the last I've heard…" from an official source. But seeing as most indicators (german Amazon page, lack of boxed PC versions on UK/US retailers) seem to point to these scenarios, too, I'd generally accept them as the truth.
We can thank Joxer for getting the information on the games forum.

Link- http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/s...info-on-Collector-Edition?p=560769#post560769

No. It's DRM-free but not copy protection free so it will probably be a few months (or years) before Deep Silver releases it on GOG. If Risen 2 is any indication it was released in April 2012 and the GOG version was made available in April 2014 so... about two years maybe?

This is where they put customers at a stupid choice. I have cash. I want your product. I don't want limitations on my product. If I don't want it on Steam, I shouldn't have to get it on Steam. If you want my money which I am fully willing to give you, I want a DRM-free or DVDcheck or registration type version.
I sure hope someone did the math on how many of this type of customers there are compared with the "potential loss" from hacked versions.

Honestly I know plenty of people that won't wait two years for it to go on GoG if its a good game. If its good, it will be cracked. Why not offer it another way and get the money from people that want to give it to you.

Well Gorath is right.;)

Many of you may not remember but WOR had a data breach, and lost the trust of the developer. Leaked information and images were released for Risen 3.

My bad. I did forget about that.
And now I'm changing my mind.

After one leak no matter how insignificant it might be, anything very important is a huge risk. Especially a review (beta) copy.
Not providing one to WoR site was a perfectly logical move from DS, I'd do that myself too. Better safe than sorry.

Hm, I'm starting to see a bright point of EU being delayed in release - there is still time to preorder (or cancel), depending of the impressions/reviews from the NA/German version :)

My bad. I did forget about that.
And now I'm changing my mind.

After one leak no matter how insignificant it might be, anything very important is a huge risk. Especially a review (beta) copy.
Not providing one to WoR site was a perfectly logical move from DS, I'd do that myself too. Better safe than sorry.

And now you're wrong. ;)

There would have been no risk at all. Nowadays most review versions are Steam keys.

It would be good if the Watch got a copy.

I'm sure one of the staff members could go through it in a good way.

I'm not sure how much pull this site has to actually get a copy though.

In the past we did get review copies from Deep Silver. This time we didn't ask, AFAIK. Asking for a review copy implies that you have the resources to write a review. That's something we're always short on.

Personally I didn't follow R3 at all, but I have no doubt that it will be clearly better than the 2nd game.

And now you're wrong. ;)

There would have been no risk at all. Nowadays most review versions are Steam keys.
It's still not a stream of an executable running on some cloud machine but is a fully downloaded code. That can be sliced, diced, modded and... Well... Leaked on megaupload and rapidshare like Sims 4 demo (according to rumors).

Wrong or not, in this case I'm 100% with Deep Silver decision. Sorry.

And now you're wrong. ;)

In the past we did get review copies from Deep Silver. This time we didn't ask, AFAIK. Asking for a review copy implies that you have the resources to write a review. That's something we're always short on.

Personally I didn't follow R3 at all, but I have no doubt that it will be clearly better than the 2nd game.

Over the years, probably Gorath and I have written most of the Watch reviews. I wasn't even remotely interested in R 2 after what I read about it and therefore I didn't bother following R 3 either. I can't speak for Gorath, but neither of us asked Myrthos about it. Actually, the majority of my reviews have been written when I've purchased the game myself; I've rarely been given a review copy. My other problem is time; I'm a very slow and thorough player!! :)

No worries, I'll probably put together an impression piece by the end of the week. Too bad it unlocks the 15th here or I'd be done by Friday.

Back
Top Bottom