This Is My Town Hall Meeting. I Set the Rules

Baron Hill's a complete tool. I was extremely disappointed when he became my congressman again. He spent about 20 years in DC becoming entrenched with the highest bidders, lost his seat a couple terms ago to a local nobody that owns a medium-sized trucking company, and just regained the seat last election thru an unapologetic class warfare smear campaign far worse the Barack ever dreamed of using.

With a name like 'Baron' the guy shouldn't be pushing the class warfare motif too much. He's one of those stinking Blue Dogs, too. A pox upon his house.

I couldn't hear the audio in that you tube clip, but I'm assuming the thread title says it all. No worse than the other recent town halls—McCains and McConnel's are by invitation only, so strangely enough, no dissenters, but this is my favorite example of how some repubs just don't understand what it's all about for people who don't have insurance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPrYviZtVrs

Rep Jenkins first tells the woman to go on Medicaid(one of those awful government programs), which of course she can't since she makes too much money, then says twice "I want the government to give you the money to buy your own insurance in a free market." ( Presumably she means in the form of some kind of tax credit. ) She then sneers at the woman's ignorance when the women says she doesn't *want* the government to give her money, she works and wants to pay for her own insurance, just something she can afford, so what's the problem with having a public plan, whereupon Jenkins tells the woman to " be a grown up" and buy her own insurance. The woman's a waitress, for chrissake. A private policy would cost her and her son thousands of dollars a year—probably up to one third of her income. To me, it's classic 'let them eat cake' rhetoric.

It's an exercise in futility trying to untangle Jenkins logic, so I may be underestimating her grasp of the issues, but her attitude toward someone asking a serious question is dismissive and contemptuous because the asker doesn't share her ideology. To me it underlines the knee-jerk quality of even the less wingnut opposition to reform.

Last edited:
Well, the name of the video isn't really the fun part… If you couldn't hear the audio, basically the woman ask why she cannot film the meeting, she's working on a highschool project. Baron Hill responds by saying twice that it's his town hall meeting and he sets the rules, then he go on by saying that the reason he do not allow filming is that "usually the films that are done, ends up on youtube in a compromising position"

Magerette, you didn't miss much other than an arrogant ass turning the crowd against him.

She just asked why she couldn't tape the meeting because she was a journalist student and his answer was rather ironic. He said, "This is my town hall meeting and I set the rules" (just like the title). He then goes on to say "This is my town hall meeting *for you* and you're not going to tell me how to run my congressional office. Now the reasons I don't allow filming is because usually the films that are done end up on Youtube in a compromising position."

Ironic because that is exactly what happened. I'd like to shake the hand of the guy who taped that and got away with it.

Thanks for filling me in, guys. Sounds typical.

This is my "house". I call the shot

Different time and place, but same kinda Murtha trucker... my appology first to the truck drivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywgUCdefSW8

Only in American, from where the Constitution is drafted. Wake up!!! sheeple!

Back
Top Bottom