Drakensang Drakensang on 7 x64??

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
Drakensang on 7 x64?? (solved)

Well, looks like I wont be playing Drakensang any time soon - will not work w/ win7 x64. I get the default "incompatible 64 bit OS" message.

Unless someone out there has got it going.. anyone? I'm finding nothing online, in english anyway.

Last edited:
The Steam version runs fine for me, but my CD version stopped running after a Windows patch last spring. I'm running Win 7 x64. Not sure what the difference between the versions are.
LB

Have you tried running the setup in compatibility mode?
It's very likely that the game will run just fine on Win7 x64, but the installer might be doing some stupid OS checks that it shouldn't.

I had no problem of this nature when I played this game last spring.

Also works for me, I also have the version from Direct2Drive (I think) so can't speak to DVD version ...

I read in the technical support forum, that it should rather NOT be installed under C:\Programs … Or at least its Germn counterpart of C:\Programme - and that not under Seven Windows or Vista Windows, so to say.

ok, feeling some hope now ='.'=

I am also running the D2D version. It doesnt let me go anywhere when i try and install tho, before I even run it I've tried everything from xp to vista sp3 compatibility, and running as administrator. I wish I knew German...

Going to keep searching

Well, I haven't tried it yet. But I'm SURE it will work on my 64bit W7 system.

BTW: Have you checked the event log for information?

This problem has been solved, and it was a strange problem indeed. I dont think Ive ever seen anything like it.

The problem was not with the program itself, it was with win7's decompression of the zipped file that i got from D2D. I went back and looked at the unzipped file, and it was like 80GB! I never really use anything but windows to unzip files unless it's something other than zip. For some reason, it went haywire on this file.

This time I used 7zip to decompress it, and the file turned out being in the neighborhood of 8gb. It installed, and runs well!

I've seen that too! I just remembered, it may have even been Drakensang...

Something about the default Windows unzipper breaking with large files? Great job there Microsoft...

It's worse than that. The native .zip format does not (*) support the same character set that the native file system supports. So you can find yourself unable to copy some files into a .zip file. Double Doh!

(*) Well, did not. Maybe they fixed it. Who knows 'cuz I gave up on it.

Oh, I wonder if the built-in .zip file support in win7 is still broken. Early on in Win XP it would corrupt .zip files when they got larger than 2 GB (2^31, i.e., the maximum value for an 8 bit integer).

As far as I remember several zip programs had size problems back then (One of the selling points for WinZip, as claimed by the WinZip guys). However, I tested it yesterday, zipped 8Gb of data and unzipped it again. No problem. I'm running Win7 64 bit. Can't exclude a character set problem, though.

<NitpickingMode>
BTW - maybe I misunderstand what you meant, or you made a typo, but the max value for an 8 bit unsigned integer is 2^8-1=255. 2^31 (-1) is the max value of a 4 byte signed integer.
</NitpickingMode>

Back
Top Bottom