NWN2 - First Impresssions @ IGN & GameSpy

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Both IGN and GameSpy have first impressions up for NWN2. Let's take a grab from IGN first:
Playing Neverwinter Nights 2 is more akin to playing Baldur's Gate II or Planescape: Torment than the original Neverwinter Nights. Fully controllable and equippable party members make a return, which makes a big difference for the single player portion of the game. We'd been told a significant chunk of developmental focus was being given to making NWN2's solo campaign more involved and after playing it for around 20 hours, it's proven to be a more entertaining experience.
...and then GameSpy:
Fans of games like Baldur's Gate and KotOR will be happy to know that the depth of character interaction found in those milestone RPGs is present in Neverwinter Nights 2 in top form. Through the expansive dialog options available in most interactions, you're able to role-play your character in a variety of ways -- principled, miscreant, reserved, rambunctious, or what have you. Also, depending on what "social" skills you choose -- such as bluff, diplomacy, or intimidation -- you can change the outcome of certain scenarios, to the extent that you can even bypass combat in many situations. What's more, most of the characters that you can enlist have stories and conflicts of their own, and depending on how much work you put towards nurturing your relationship with them, you can experience encounters and scenarios unique to them.
More information.

Sounds like a definite must buy. NWN was fun, but I never finished the official campaign. The user-made content was great, though. This, on the other hand, has the hallmarks of a full-fledged, deep game right out of the box. I like being able to avoid combat through dialog, as well. I'm glad they didn't screw this one up -- I've been waiting for a good story in an rpg for a while.

I ignore the reviews for certain rpgs, Danicek. NWN2 will be one of those games that I buy no matter what the critics say, as will Gothic 3. Obsidian, Bioware, and PB (and Bethesda, though some would disagree) almost always get my money :p

The thing that always put me off from playing NWN was the FPSishness of the whole thing. D&D was hardly made to be played real time, and it showed in the way combat took place. In fact the best cRPG with D&D so far has been the Temple of Elemental Evil, bugs and all. So when I heard that combat in NWN2 was going to have the pause in it, I was very very happy. I have already got a group of three ready to put together a party and start playing as soon as some modules come out. In the BG and BG II days, we just used to let the game roll for 20 or 30 seconds, pause it and discuss next moves via Rodger Wilco, and then let it roll again. So I am also praying that this game is going to be compatable with Skype!!!

I loved NWN - it was what got me hardcore into RPG's after not hooking into them in the 1980-ish time and disliking Diablo enough to swear off them ... I am very enthused by the early looks, and quite looking forward to playing!

Hmmm, actually sounds promising. I paid top-dollar forthe Platinum version of the first NWN, and about the only module I actually got into was a free remake of Eye of the Beholder!

Well I play NWN using Skype, so I'm sure the new version should work with it as well!!

Back
Top Bottom