Remarkable quotes

Frozen Fireball

Trying to unfreeze
Not much to explain. Put any quote you find interesting or thought provoking in this thread.

Whenever I find a good quote that I liked, I'll add it to the list I have and I hope to expand it by reading your favorite quotes in this thread. :)

Anyway, these are my favorites:

“Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.”
Henry Ford

"Criticizing means destroying something with the weapon of truth. "
Uknknown

" A bad deed that makes you regret is better than a good one which makes you arrogant. "
" Be careful about your thoughts , they become your actions. "
Al ibn Abi Talib

" In war there is no prize for the runner-up "
General Omar Bradle

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
Jean Rostand

* I think this quote would be more beautiful if it wouldn't include " Kill them all, and you are a god. "

"In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away. "
shing xiong

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't."
Erica Jong

"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened. "
- Mary Kay Ash

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"
Brandt Paul ( A part from one of his lyrics )

" Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know. "
Ernest Hemingway

“Don't tell your problems to people: eighty percent don't care; and the other twenty percent are glad you have them.”
Lou Holtz

" Winning is not important, looking good when you win is essential. "
unknown

" To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing. "
Elbert Green Hubbard

" I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. "
George Bernard Shaw

" The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources. "
Albert Einstein

" In a land where the shadow of small people becomes tall, sun is going down. "
Unknown

" A friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself. "
Jim Morrison

" Quiet people have the loudest minds. "
Stephen Hawking

" Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. "
Will Smith ( Not sure if this is really from Will Smith )

" You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. "
James D. Miles

—Niklaus Wirth, "A Few Words with Niklaus Wirth". Dr Carlo Pescio (June 1997)
In our profession, precision and perfection are not a dispensable luxury, but a simple necessity.

—Niklaus Wirth, "A Digital Contrarian Retires". Beat Gerber (June 1999)
Reliable and transparent programs are usually not in the interest of the designer.

Last edited:
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country."

- General George S. Patton in the film Patton (disputed if he ever said this in real life)

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"
- multiple though I know Vince Lombardi and Darrell Royal said it. It resonates with me when people tell me how lucky I am in my career.

"Creation is an act of sheer will"
- John Hammond in Jurassic Park

"Judge not, that thou shall not be not judged."
and "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."
- Jesus of Nazareth

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
-Theodore Roosevelt

Love that quote! Really need to read the book that came out about him a few years ago. His racism aside, he was easily the most badass president of all time!

"They mostly come out at night… mostly"
-Newt

I raise you:

Ripley: How long after we're declared overdue can we expect a rescue?
Hicks: [pause] Seventeen days.
Hudson: Seventeen *days?* Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen *hours!* Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here...
Ripley: Hudson!
Hudson: ...and they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA GET US!
Ripley: Hudson! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training.
[to Newt]
Ripley: Right?
[Newt apes a salute]
Hudson: Why don't you put her in charge?

"Act like you've been there before."
Disputed originator- Tom Landry, Paul "Bear" Bryant, Vince Lombardi, or Lou Holtz
(I, naturally, will credit the Man in the Fedora)

I've also heard a revised version that might be even better:
"Act like you've been there before and plan to be back very soon."

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat everyday. (or words to that effect)

"I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track."

"I'm an Internet expert too."

-Kim Jong Il

Donald E. Knuth:
Computer programming is an art, because it applies accumulated knowledge to the world, because it requires skill and ingenuity, and especially because it produces objects of beauty. A programmer who subconsciously views himself as an artist will enjoy what he does and will do it better.

The three dots '...' here suppress a lot of detail -- maybe I should have used four dots.

Douglas Adams:

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Albert Einstein delivered a great wealth of memorable quotes. Two examples:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Steve Jobs: "I trusted you, and now you're stealing [the graphical user interface] from us!"

Bill Gates: "Well, Steve, it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal his TV set and found out that you had already stolen it."

They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes!
-that bald police captain from Mad Max

A man is what he has passion about... if you give up what you want most for what you think you should want more, you'll just end up miserable."

Immanuel Kant:

Act that your principle of action might safely be made a law for the whole world.

He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.

Marilyn Monroe:

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.

= Manifest of the 'Codex ??? ;)

Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world.

(one for Jaz)

William Shakespeare:

Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood.

"There's a crack in everything.

That's how the light gets in."

- Leonard Cohen

Richard Feynman:

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool.

I don't know anything, but I do know that everything is interesting if you go into it deeply enough.

You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.

Back
Top Bottom