Bethesda Softworks - Trailer on Monday

Yeah, it's definitely worth it to minimally tweak Morrowind with a few things to make a return to Vvardenfell as fun as the first time. I'm a purist when it comes to the game content itself, I also want the gameplay and content as close to the devs envisioned it originally. That doesnt mean you have to punish yourself w/ crappy graphics, they just looks like hell in the year 2012. Fortunately w/ the use of some simple mods, it's easy update the game to make it more palatable today.

You need to get the minimu,:
-better bodies/better faces/better clothes
-updated high res textures
Just those two (actually the bodies/faces/clothes ones are separate but i think you can get a single pack w/ them all) will make the game look 100x better than vanilla MW.
I also recommend the no-glow mod as well. If you just have a magic weapon, or maybe one piece of magic gear the glow is not that bad, but I found myself hating half my armor and weapons all glowing as I got more magic stuff. It's easy to turn off, and makes the game look more realistic.

On the trailer - yeah Dragonborn! yeah Solthsteim! We're getting close and closer to Vvardenfell, im liking this…

Trailer seems to add interesting stuff, I wonder if books also.

For me worked well in the first play playthrough with MGSO,body,head,interiors and hair replacers as was the suggestion to change barely nothing and play with the same atmosphere the game offers. Vurts Corals and waterlife seem to be worth to add and nothing more.

Don't mod combat Count. It's not Morrowind if you mod the combat. Besides, it's not that bad. At early levels you miss a lot, but once you get a decent amount of skill with your preferred weapon, the combat becomes enjoyable. I personally find it enjoyable even at lower levels, because it adds a layer of tension to combat, that any encounter may be deadly because you aren't skilled enough to properly wield your weapon.

And if you really want to avoid low-skill, low-level combat, start yourself off as a Redguard Warrior, and give yourself weapon skills as major skills. You will be beastly right from the beginning. If you want magic go with an Altmer Sorcerer or something, and your magic will be powerful at level 1. Enough that you won't be dying to mudcrabs and rats :D.

Morrowind is a fun game even without mods. I prefer to keep it as original as possible. But before you go modding the combat, give it a chance. Try to accept it for what it is. It's a dice-roll PNP mechanic disguised as live action. There's really nothing wrong with it at all.

Absolutely. It was head and shoulders above Oblivion and Skyrim. But if all you play is consoles, then I suppose it would be awkward for you. Really, the console player's point of view isn't really applicable to most of us.

I guess I'm a bit older than most of you guys on here, as the last time I played any games on console was way back in the 1980s.

I just hated clicking and dragging the little icons around in the menus in Morrowind, especially for buying or selling to merchants. I much prefer lists with text descriptions rather than dragging icons around with the mouse.

Skyrim's menu, even though it is not the greatest, is much more convenient for me to use.

You thought Morrowind's UI was cumbersome? I think the UI in Morrowind is a lot better than the more consolish UI of the recent games.

Perhaps the consolish UI is simply easier for me to use? Not exactly sure, as I haven't played any games on consoles for many years. I use only keyboard and mouse, no controllers or gamepads.

Don't mod combat Count. It's not Morrowind if you mod the combat. Besides, it's not that bad. At early levels you miss a lot, but once you get a decent amount of skill with your preferred weapon, the combat becomes enjoyable. I personally find it enjoyable even at lower levels, because it adds a layer of tension to combat, that any encounter may be deadly because you aren't skilled enough to properly wield your weapon.

Perhaps the problem for me is that I had never even heard of Morrowind until after having played FO3 and Oblivion a couple years ago. When I tried it the first time, the combat and the UI felt clunky compared to Oblivion.

And if you really want to avoid low-skill, low-level combat, start yourself off as a Redguard Warrior, and give yourself weapon skills as major skills. You will be beastly right from the beginning. If you want magic go with an Altmer Sorcerer or something, and your magic will be powerful at level 1. Enough that you won't be dying to mudcrabs and rats :D.

Morrowind is a fun game even without mods. I prefer to keep it as original as possible. But before you go modding the combat, give it a chance. Try to accept it for what it is. It's a dice-roll PNP mechanic disguised as live action. There's really nothing wrong with it at all.

Thanks for this advice, I'll certainly keep it in mind, though I would like to play either a Dunmer or Argonian, as those races have a particular connection with the region.

Hopefully those approaches wouldn't be too overpowered. Don't think I would enjoy any game where I felt overpowered in the beginning, or even later. The kind of combat gameplay I enjoy most is where I die and reload frequently. If I ever become too powerful, it means it's time to start a new character.

Last edited:
I just hated clicking and dragging the little icons around in the menus in Morrowind, especially for buying or selling to merchants. I much prefer lists with text descriptions rather than dragging icons around with the mouse.

I think you can scale the UI to use bigger icons to make it easier. And also make the inventory window bigger. Unfortunately, I don't think the description popup text windows can be scaled in vanilla, but I bet there's a mod for that. Another reason not to play on console.

You don't get overpowered in Morrowind until later levels. However, the game starts off difficult, and gets increasingly easy the more you level up. It's the opposite of say, Oblivion, which stays challenging throughout the entire game. It's a different approach and it's not any better or worse than Oblivion in that way, it's just different.

At level 1 in Morrowind you are a nobody. You don't have great skills and you are simply weak. A mudcrab could kill you. :D

Now, if you start off with certain builds, you can gain certain advantages early on, if you play to the strengths of the race you choose. For example, Redguards make excellent Warriors, or Orc Barbarians, or Khajiit Thieves, or Bosmer Scouts, etc. That said though, any class is viable, so just choose what sounds the most interesting to you and you'll be set.

If you play by the rules and don't power-game, you shouldn't be overpowered. Also, Bloodmoon and Tribunal provide great challenges for higher leveled characters, so you should be able to have a reasonable challenge for many, many hours.

Another great thing about Morrowind is the enemies are mostly hand-placed. This means you may enter a tomb at level 1 and find level 20 enemies in it. You may find a level 25 enemy in a full set of Orcish armor, even though you are only level 1. You may also enter another tomb that is full of nothing but low level rats. You have to be cautious because you never know what is around the next corner. It's very easy to die in Morrowind.

The combat most likely feels clunky because it's not a true action system. It looks like it is, but it's actually a dice-roll pen-and-paper mechanic. Every time you swing you are basically rolling the dice (which is based on your skill level in the weapon you are using and your overall fatigue) as to whether or not you're going to hit the enemy. So early on expect to miss a lot. I imagine it as this - you have poor skills with a blade, therefore the enemy will parry and you will miss shots. Unfortunately there is no animation for parries, but just use your imagination.

Once you gain skill in weapon or magic classes, combat gets easier with not so many misses. Once you get used to it you'll be fine. Some actually prefer Morrowind's combat to Oblivion or Skyrim. I think they are all equally good and all take time getting used to.

Most importantly just have fun with it. Talk to everyone. Talk is cheap and you can learn of great treasures and general lay of the land the more you talk to people. You can find trainers and traders and quest-givers who can greatly help you. Just take it easy and enjoy the ride!

Back
Top Bottom