Unity for Eternity!

YEAH! They removed Linux from the 2.2m stretch goal and now PC, Mac and Linux version will be released.

They will also add something in the 2.2m goal in Monday's update (because you can't remove without adding). I'm thinking some localization, but it might be something else too. Also more stretch goals announced (they sort of need them, they are almost at 1.8m...)

Everybody's doing it. :)

Seriously, I wish Unity was around when I started FK. Now that I've finally gotten over (many of) the main hurdles of learning the engine, it's TONS easier / better / more flexible to work with than Torque. Game development is still a lot of hard work, but Unity does do a pretty good job of smoothing out a lot of the most headache-inducing parts.

YEAH! They removed Linux from the 2.2m stretch goal and now PC, Mac and Linux version will be released.

They will also add something in the 2.2m goal in Monday's update (because you can't remove without adding). I'm thinking some localization, but it might be something else too. Also more stretch goals announced (they sort of need them, they are almost at 1.8m…)

Hmm..interesting. I wonder if it has anything to do with this thread:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60467-mega-dungeons-i-want-one-with-tunnels/

A dev posted in the above thread about the possibilit of adding a "mega-dungeon" with a whole back story.

Oh, maybe. There is also the request for a toolset that is popular...and multiplayer.

We will see Monday! Also, 1.8m goal almost achieved.

Oh, maybe. There is also the request for a toolset that is popular…and multiplayer.

We will see Monday! Also, 1.8m goal almost achieved.

There was some talk about the addition of a mod kit and MP. But, the general consesus was that it would be more expensive. So, i am thinking if the funding goes past 2.4 million, we may get those, but i don't think 2.2 is enough.

They have to create "mod kit" to make the game, releasing them to the public require them to be polished (Josh Sawyer have a story about NWN2 mod tools that link into this). As for MP, Unity support networking, so a big part of the work required is already there, but the dev don't seems fan of adding multiplayer.

I expect these to be higher in the stretch goals. But localization is probably the most costly one. Translating in one language 8 novels worth of text cost about $500k (this is Planescape Torment level of text).

Everybody's doing it. :)

Seriously, I wish Unity was around when I started FK. Now that I've finally gotten over (many of) the main hurdles of learning the engine, it's TONS easier / better / more flexible to work with than Torque. Game development is still a lot of hard work, but Unity does do a pretty good job of smoothing out a lot of the most headache-inducing parts.

Did you use any tutorials? The JavaScript tutorials weren't for me and the official C# tutorial in the wiki is too short IMO. (Although JS may have the advantage of working with JSON more smoothly.)

Did you use any tutorials? The JavaScript tutorials weren't for me and the official C# tutorial in the wiki is too short IMO. (Although JS may have the advantage of working with JSON more smoothly.)

I used a few, but really just a couple to get me started, and then some targeted ones concerning whatever roadblock I've encountered.

Back
Top Bottom