Baldur's Gate - Retrospective @ RPG Vault

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
The Dragon Age devs look back at the making of Baldur's Gate.
"Huge, beautiful and highly replayable, it is a 'must-have' for any serious or even casual RPG fan... Baldur's Gate will... return serious role-playing games to their rightful place at the center of the computer gaming universe." These words were part of the concluding paragraph in RPG Vault's review of BioWare's landmark late 1998 release that signaled the genre's emergence from a relatively barren half-decade or so. Published by the Black Isle Studios division of Interplay, it was a rarity, a title that generated extremely high expectations, then proved able to meet and even exceeded them. As a result, it garnered awards galore including best of the year from this site and many other publications. It also sold exceptionally well. This parlay launched the inexperienced Canadian studio toward the very top echelon of developers. The rest, as they say, is history.
More information.

Are you sure that article is about Baldur's Gate? It read more like a two page advert for Dragon Age to me.

Best RPG

Firstly, I agreee with Rizzla, seems like hype for Dragon Age...

If I would have to choose best RPG game out there, I would say Baldur's Gate. And I mean BG1, it feels much more a light hearted adventure game than hc-rpg, like BG2.

Are you sure that article is about Baldur's Gate? It read more like a two page advert for Dragon Age to me.
I was exactly thinking the same. :D

Nevertheless, one, two interesting aspects about BG are in that interview. Didn't know, that Imoen only was some kind of spare tire.

Don't really remember what I thought about Imoen in BG1, but in BG2 I found her extremely annoying. Must have been from the beginning because of her incessant whining in the starter dungeon.

"No! No! I don't wanna die here! NO!"

Grrrr.

True, Imoen was kind of annoying in both BG games, more so in BG2.

Not as annoying as Dawn Star in Jade Empire though....

Because that's what it's meant to be. ;) There is no such thing as a coincidence when a long article appears on a professional site.

I guess I'm just a sap, but I really took to Imoen in both games. If they had killed her off as previously planned, I may have rioted! When I played IWD, I actually recreated my BG1 party with her in it of course!

You mess w/ Immy, you mess w/ the Tigers!

Kinda bummed, having just finished BG i was lookin for something a little more than this article's appetizer

Back
Top Bottom