Kid in a candy store

Ugh… please tell me you're being sarcastic. ;)
Nope, I really like the first Age of Wonders (the second & third are good, but not nearly as good). Sure, the balance might have been a bit off, and the AI might not have been all that bright, but the game had a certain charm that I think the HoMM series lacks.

I could never get into AoW… I think it had lots of potential, but seemed to drag on for me. Or at least, that's how I remember it.

Yeah, same here. Maybe I would have a higher opinion if I had played it when it was newer, but it just really didn't grab me at all. The pace of the combat bored me to tears.

I kinda had something akin to this kid in a candy store feeling through the last two months of 2010 + January 2011 where my playthroughs of Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon Knight Saga and Drakensang 2 happened. Three different types of cRPGs and I consider all to be pretty much top notch representatives in their categories.
An unusually great streak :).
I think I haven´t enjoyed any game released since at least as much as any of these three, maybe with the exception of The Witcher 2 EE.

I also think that 2013 is on a pretty good way to rule.

Pah, forget Heroes III and get Age of Wonders 1 instead :p

I don't know about heroes III, but heroes V got very repetitive and tiresome. I never had that feeling with AOW 1. I don't understand the pacing issue. AOW I was no slower than any other turned based strategy game.

I don't know. I can think of one reason why the pacing might have felt differently than in HoMMIII. It would be that in HoMMIII you got your entire city's units at the start of the week. It delivered some sense of suspense that your enemy could not get a hold of one of your cities on day 6 or 7, because otherwise they would get a big advantage. In AoW, it just was a continuous process. I enjoyed AoW's RPG-lite elements better. It seemed many more abilities were available for the units and such.

I didn't like HoMMV, and I feel it's the worst I've played (from II to V). HoMMIV was different, and if not for the severe unbalancing might have provided a refreshing look on the series. HoMMIII was the best out of all of them. Especially when playing with real friends :)

There were in reality too many abilities available for heroes, so they never quite managed to balance them properly (here is an overpowered main hero:
Get a ranged attack (hurl stone or archery is recommended), and max out marksmanship. Get defense up to at least 5, and if you have any points over, get regeneration, then get defense up to 7 or 8 (depending on what equipment you find, as no stat can go higher than 10), and then start investing in health & resistance).

Anyway, I found AoW to be a better multiplayer/hot seat game than HoMM. You will start to interact with the other players far earlier, as there are less misc things on the map. The way terrain interacted with movement (and the skills that in turn could impact this) also gave the game more strategic depth, and the economic part of the game was also a bit deeper, even though there were not as many resource types. The spell system was also more flexible, allowing for more strategic spells (the tactical spells were a bit more limited though). Also, one often overlooked thing was how your relationship with other races also impacted how likely troops & cities from that race were to rebel against you. And finally, the unit descriptions (every unit had a description that several sentences long) just added a lot of character to the game.
As much as I enjoy the HoMM series, I've always found them to be a bit shallow. Fun time killers, but not all that strategically or tactically complex. AoW was a bit deeper in these regards, without being overwhelming.

I only played the SP campaigns. Can't speak for MP.

same here, I don't play MP any strategy games so can't tell, but single player I like pretty much every HoMM games except 4.

I love both series, and have replayed them both quite a few times. It's not a given that someone enjoying one will enjoy the other, as there are quite a few differences.

In terms of RPG vs strategy elements, AoW lands somewhere in the middle of Spellforce and HoMM in my opinion. Spellforce being the one with the heaviest emphasis on RPG elements, obviously.

I only played the SP campaigns. Can't speak for MP.
The skirmish maps are pretty good, and you can get a good idea of how the MP works when playing them. Me and a few friends used to play the game in hot-seat, and it worked really well.

I played AoW Shadow Magic and just loved it. I have the first two but haven't gotten to them yet.: p

The second one is like the third one, just with a bit less content (and of course a single player campaign of its own), so if you liked Shadow Magic, then you will like AoW 2. The first one is quite different though, you have a lot more freedom when it comes to character customization and heroes are a more dominant feature of the game. The graphics in the first one has actually aged better than the one in AoW2/Shadow Magic. I also really liked the style of the unit portraits in AoW 1
U_Pingu.gif

I liked AOW1 especially because of its RPG-like elements. Heroes could gain experience, if I recall this correctly, and you could distribute points in several of their stats.

Yeah, my AOW1 heroes were godlike by the end of the campaign. 1 hero could take out a whole army even if it was stationed in a town. Of course, I did my research and gave them the best skills. Powergaming heaven. ;)

Yeah, my AOW1 heroes were godlike by the end of the campaign. 1 hero could take out a whole army even if it was stationed in a town. Of course, I did my research and gave them the best skills. Powergaming heaven. ;)

That's one of the reasons I prefer Homm over AoW.

I admit I've never played AoW 2 or 3 though. I bought the series bundle from GOG but didn't bother installing the later games after playing Aow 1. I should give Shadow Magic a try one of these days.

On the contrary, it's one of the reasons I prefer AoW 1 over HoMM V (at least). Not powergaming, but Choice, and the ability to waltz through the final maps, IF you want to without cheating.

AoW has the freedom to build your heros anyway you want.

HoMM V, NOT! You had to take one of the 4 skills that were offered at level up. No skill tree/wheel. Had to install a user made tool for that. So it really felt like more of grind, and less RPG choice/growth and somehow less a sense of accomplishment at the end.

Haven't played Homm V other than the demo, but that title doesn't generally seem to be considered one of the better ones by most fans of the series. I was referring more to the style of Homm 1-3 anyways.

Basically, I prefer strategy games that don't include a hero or leader that directly participates in the battles, or at least not ones that can become as powerful as those in AoW.

I like more RPG (i.e. character building) in my strategy, rather than pure strategy without much (or no) RPG. But surprisingly, X3:TC is keeping me engaged probably because there is a lot of different gameplay to experiment with, and areas to explore, not because of RPG elements.

Haven't played Homm V other than the demo, but that title doesn't generally seem to be considered one of the better ones by most fans of the series. I was referring more to the style of Homm 1-3 anyways.

Basically, I prefer strategy games that don't include a hero or leader that directly participates in the battles, or at least not ones that can become as powerful as those in AoW.

well guess I'm not in the 'most fans' group :) To me, 5 is behind 3 in my list of HoMM games (far behind, but still #2)

Back
Top Bottom