Dead State - PAX Gameplay

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Only watched the first couple of minutes but it looks exactly like the last video.
Since I saw the first screenshots at Rock Paper Shotgun 3 years ago, the kickstarter campaign one year ago and now it doesn't really seem that much has been done. Progress on this game seems to be incredibly slow. Of course we can't really judge what is going on within the Meta game. But neither Brian Mitsodas History nor Double Bear seemed to be extremely "trustworthy" already when the KS project was done. Was probably the right choice to only do the minimum pledge on this project.
But of course I would love a surprise here. The concept itself is pretty good.

Programming is all hard and stuff, so hopefully they are not underestimating this aspect of things.

The link sends to a schedule screen and the video log displays no video longer than 3 hours.

The link sends to a schedule screen and the video log displays no video longer than 3 hours.
The schedule screen is the beginning of the video. It takes a few seconds to load up. The video on my end is also eight hours long not three.

What you have to do is move your mouse above the pause/play button. The black bar above is how you move the video. The bar turns purple as you drag the bar to the time given in the news-bit.

If it doesn't play it could be your browser, or some program preventing it from playing. I clicked the link five times and it works.:)

If it doesn't play it could be your browser, or some program preventing it from playing. I clicked the link five times and it works.:)

Video stalls for me on IE and completely crashed Mozilla. Strange.

But neither Brian Mitsodas History nor Double Bear seemed to be extremely "trustworthy" already when the KS project was done.
What about Brian Mitsoda's history makes him anything other than "trustworthy"? To my mind the reason why this game is taking too long is that they're working really hard on the dialogue. The game is less about interaction with zombies as interacting with other people in a zombie setting

The valuable information: they aim for release next year. Could January 2014. Cant be December 2013 as planned during the KS.

The schedule screen is the beginning of the video. It takes a few seconds to load up. The video on my end is also eight hours long not three.

What you have to do is move your mouse above the pause/play button. The black bar above is how you move the video. The bar turns purple as you drag the bar to the time given in the news-bit.

The video comes only in highest quality, that is too much for my connection.

I had to load the video, then put it on pause at the start of the DS section for 15 min or so for it to preload/buffer some content. That worked for me.

It was pretty short but sweet. They showed off the shelter a bit and two different scavenging runs. The big difference from the earlier combat video is that you now have control over all characters. It used to be a follower system like Fallout 1+2 but now it's full party control. Early 2014 release as stated earlier in this thread.

I'm going to hold out for someone at Team Death to strip out the juicy gameplay video part from the hundred hour (might as well be for me) stream.

I'm going to hold out for someone at Team Death to strip out the juicy gameplay video part from the hundred hour (might as well be for me) stream.
I was hoping a YouTube video would be available also, but it wasn't. The moment they release one I will post it. For now it's twitch.tv or nothing. Sorry to those having trouble but the link works.:worship:

Last edited:
Video works fine for me, so thanks. I get a pause every minute or so, buffering I guess, but other than that, perfect (using Chrome browser if that matters).

The game looks good, but a little less polished than expected. Still, from what they've shown it's gone from a "meh" (mainly due to getting sick of zombies) to a "a chance I'll buy".

It works on Opera just like every other twitch.tv stream I've watched.

The video is heavy. Not a browser issue, a connection issue. You cant change quality.

On my computer at home I could finally watch it.

Only watched the first couple of minutes but it looks exactly like the last video.
Since I saw the first screenshots at Rock Paper Shotgun 3 years ago, the kickstarter campaign one year ago and now it doesn't really seem that much has been done. Progress on this game seems to be incredibly slow. Of course we can't really judge what is going on within the Meta game. But neither Brian Mitsodas History nor Double Bear seemed to be extremely "trustworthy" already when the KS project was done. Was probably the right choice to only do the minimum pledge on this project.
But of course I would love a surprise here. The concept itself is pretty good.

I disagree, this demo actually shows a lot of new stuff: shelter management, job board, overland map travel, time progression with end of day summary, etc. It is the first time we see the various major elements of the game work together as a whole. I think this indicates good progress.

Edit: There also is a Youtube video now, thanks to Melkathi at the Dead State forums:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwcN2ONjd1I&feature=youtu.be

Back
Top Bottom