Wasteland 2 - Opening Movie Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
InXile entertainment have released the promised Wasteland 2 opening movie from MCM London in a new post-funding update on Kickstarter.

The Opening Movie

Brian was on stage at MCM London earlier today showing the Wasteland 2 opening movie and talking about the game and crowdfunding (you can watch the presentation on Resero Network's twitch through this link).

Of course we'd like all our backers to see this opening movie, so we put it up on Youtube for you. Enjoy!
More information.

It was fine, but comparing it to Fallout 1's.. well... not even the beginning of a contest.

Thought the voice over guy was trying too hard to sound gritty, then I saw his face and he looked like a dressed up Angry Joe. Guess it could be a little better.

Kind of 90's FMV intro. Certainly could be better but I understand what they were shooting for. Personally I think an in-game intro would have been sufficient.

Looks kinda Nuka-Break'ish... heh. Given the budget, you can't really expect much more... but, yeah, it's pretty low quality. Still looking forward to the game of course!

Thought the voice over guy was trying too hard to sound gritty, then I saw his face and he looked like a dressed up Angry Joe. Guess it could be a little better.

If you mean the Vargas actor, that's not the voice actor afaik, the dub over looked pretty silly.

It was "ok", but i agree that the voice guy tries way too hard, it almost sounds like he's going for comedy more than something serious (i'm thinking of the Honest game trailers etc, i wonder if its the same guy).

Still, if it had to be done, better this way, rather than expensive, resource draining CGI.

Still, if it had to be done, better this way, rather than expensive, resource draining CGI.

I'd be happier if they just had some still artwork with a decent voice actor narrating over top.

I would have chosen something simpler, like images with narration and minimal animation. This looks awkward and amateur-hour.

I like it. It is raw and gives a feeling of immersion. For me the only thing lacking is indeed the voice over.

Looks good and fitting. Too bad they did not process images to reduce clarity, grain etc... That HD sharp definition goes with a civilization at its peak not after its apocalypse.

Personally, I also would have preferred something simpler, because this attempt at live-action movie somehow feels "cheap", somehow. Perhaps a version of uncanny valley, don't know (a movie that's aiming to be realistic instead of something purely artificial). Of course it can't compare to any Fallout intro, but imho, Fallout has the more creative setting anyway.

Looks good and fitting. Too bad they did not process images to reduce clarity, grain etc… That HD sharp definition goes with a civilization at its peak not after its apocalypse.

which is kind of silly though, its not like digital equipment would generate noise or less sharpness just because its getting old :p but i get what you're saying. I'm also not familiar with Wasteland lore, is it the same as in Fallout? In that case it would make sense (analog equipment gone bad).

Artistic choice to avoid featuring a civilization past its peak with technological means that belong to their golden age.

The video contains non sensitical material (like the attires) that are only meant to provide atmospheric feeling.

This game should be on par with Fallout 1, but Wasteland 2 is nearing mediocre with its sub-par graphics and lack of talent.

It was a little on the cheesy side, but I'm pretty sure that was intentional. I thought it was decent.

This game should be on par with Fallout 1, but Wasteland 2 is nearing mediocre with its sub-par graphics and lack of talent.

I personally liked the film, though I've got to admit a little film can not make or break a game for me. I don't see how the game should be graphically on par with a game that had well over 10 times its budget (or much more with inflation). Wasteland 2 will live or die with its game play and story.

So I read all the comments, expected to be disappointed, and then watch the video; collectively I think are being a bit harsh. I could nic pic at it but overall I think it was appropriate for the game.

Back
Top Bottom