Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Silicon Era Series Wrap

I think he is a native English speaker. I think he's just babbling like a retard because he doesn't have an answer to the question. He may not even understand the question, except that he knows "Well, hell yeah there's choices! Like, you want to use the sniper rifle or go all stealthy like with a Kabar!" isn't what he's supposed to say.

Not looking forward to this game at all. I'm seriously beginning to think it would be a really great idea if some professional developers and designers revisited games from the 1980s and did exact copies of them, only modernized.

That's what they're trying to do, I think. The problem is the definition of "modernize". They think it means dumbing down combat and make it twitch-based, kill any sense of consistency (because kids don't care about that) so they can focus on explosions and slow motion, and have the janitor write the dialog because kids will just ignore it anyway.

Really? Because it seems to me that he somehow became credited with being the one guy behind Ultima Underworld and System Shock. The evidence - in the form of Deus Ex - suggests that's not the case. There is additional evidence in that he was credited as a producer and not as a developer on those games. That hardly seems like an example of sharing credit.

Somehow I doubt that he intended for anyone to have such misconceptions, as you're trying to imply. I'd love to see an interview where he's claiming to be the sole person responsible for UU and SS. If you have a link, feel free to share it.

Somehow I doubt that he intended for anyone to have such misconceptions, as you're trying to imply. I'd love to see an interview where he's claiming to be the sole person responsible for UU and SS. If you have a link, feel free to share it.

It doesn't matter in the slightest what he "intended". I've worked in software development a LONG time (not in the game industry, thank god) and I've seen just about every stunt there is. If he had any integrity he would not have allowed the media to portray him as some sort of gaming messiah, at other people's expense. There was a hell of a lot of that going around back then at Ion Storm, though, so he wasn't alone.

This is not even my major complaint about Warren Spector and the Computer Gaming media, though! I'm much more concerned with their whorish ways and their dishonest reviews, their agenda driven game-activism, their lack of objectivity, and so on. The whole industry and all its various parasitical appendages is rotten to the core, and has been for quite some time. And it will be for quite some time to come. In fact, I think it's unsalvageable. So in the meantime I get to spend my money on games that are complete garbage 9/10 times in hopes of finding that occasional game that I might actually enjoy playing, because there's absolutely no way from reading a game review for me to be able to make even a guess whether I'm going to like the thing or not. And to add insult to injury the game companies get consider the games I buy that I end up disgusted with to be a righteous purchase. It's a no-win situation for anyone who isn't part of the "easily amused" demographic.

The way I got around my frustration with the press is by reading from online communities like this one, where I can find people with common likes and dislikes and get some honest opinions. I recommend ignoring the recommendations from the press.

It doesn't matter in the slightest what he "intended". I've worked in software development a LONG time (not in the game industry, thank god) and I've seen just about every stunt there is. If he had any integrity he would not have allowed the media to portray him as some sort of gaming messiah, at other people's expense. There was a hell of a lot of that going around back then at Ion Storm, though, so he wasn't alone.

You have an interesting way of viewing things, I'll give you that. You seem to have a pretty firm opinion of Spector though, so I won't bother trying to change it. Everyone is entitled to their theories.

This game will be fun.

Fun like Mass Effect or HALO or Gears of War. Console game "fun". Ignore the moronic trailer and at least be glad that Spector isn't involved with this one in the design process like he was with Invisible War. It was thanks to him and his love for console gaming that we ended up with the moronic GUI, inventory and ammo system.

Also, if you search maybe you will find his blog post after the game was out and he was busy defending the whole GUI/system and talking about how developers in the first game ignored his request and went for more traditional inventory (among other things) for game. He didn't like that, so I guess the success of the first (success as in the praises, more than enough to convince publisher that sequel will earn millions) ended up with him getting more control on the design choices. Which were pretty moronic and challenging for console monkeys only.

So yeah, no Spector automatically means better DX.. though, the retarded trailer and interviews with developers for this new one aren't exactly giving any new hope for pure DX revival. It will definitely be a console blockbuster though.

This game will be fun.

Fun like Mass Effect or HALO or Gears of War. Console game "fun". Ignore the moronic trailer and at least be glad that Spector isn't involved with this one in the design process like he was with Invisible War. It was thanks to him and his love for console gaming that we ended up with the moronic GUI, inventory and ammo system.

Also, if you search maybe you will find his blog post after the game was out and he was busy defending the whole GUI/system and talking about how developers in the first game ignored his request and went for more traditional inventory (among other things) for game. He didn't like that, so I guess the success of the first (success as in the praises, more than enough to convince publisher that sequel will earn millions) ended up with him getting more control on the design choices. Which were pretty moronic and challenging for console monkeys only.

So yeah, no Spector automatically means better DX.. though, the retarded trailer and interviews with developers for this new one aren't exactly giving any new hope for pure DX revival. It will definitely be a console blockbuster though.

I thought Harvey smith was the lead designer in iw not spector. Spector had some kind of producer role but most of the design decisions were made by smith and his team, not spector, although the man aproved most of them, so yeah they share the blame of that disaster. Btw youtube has a wonderfull video where spector and Smith analyze what went wrong with IW. As much as I dislike IW, I respect that they are willing to admit how things got out of hand and how they lost touch in the reality. I think that they don't still fully realize how dumb some of the so called improvements were but atleast they are on the right track. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIdYl2oN74

He will admit it after all the shit-storm around the design decisions they took in that moron-fest (actually, it wasn't that bad and compared to other FPS/RPG hybrids, WAY better.. but compared to DX vanilla? Crap).

Of course Warren was defending it and I am pretty sure of that. It was dev-blog of some kind (I could find it anymore, probably the site is dead). Either way, being lead designer with Spector on team is like you or me being lead programmer with Carmack on the team.

I don't really hate designers for their choices. I still enjoyed IW (but like I said, ignoring DX1 ever happened) but Spector was busy defending all the wrong console based choices in the game (before that video was made). The video is more of a PR move ("Oh god forgive us, at least me Warren, I will now stick to console development"). :p

I'd really like to play "Epi Mickey" on the PC.

But now, everything non-violent must be exclusives for consoles nowadays …

The PC - the only gming platform that almost entirely consists of violent games only.

When has the last comic-like jump & run gam for the PC been published ?

And if you answer "I#m not interested in that", then I'll reply to you : Well, THAT'S exactl the reasion why there are almost only violent games on the PC anymore.

If I want just fun games, comic-like even, non-violent, then I must turn towards the consoles …

Sad times …

I don't know that I agree with that at all. The problem is you won't consider digital products. If you go to a portal (like Steam), you'll be overwhelmed with them. Braid, World of Goo, Blueberry Garden, The Forest...way too many others for me to track.

All indie games isn't it? (I don't know all you quote), that said there are ton of non violent game, not AAA but not indie, just look at a retail shop at video game family corner, you'll see ton of games no PC teen (more or less old) ever heard of.

There's few like The Sims series, I wonder if anyone here played this girl game, probably some adventure games, even puzzle games are violent on PC ie the excellent Portal.

EDIT: Weird I forgot the point for which I started post, the problem is more that PC market of A games is still overloaded with shooters, some wargames, few RPG.

Back
Top Bottom