Dragon Age: Inquisition - Wins Game of the Year at TGAS

Aubrielle

Noveliste
I saw they showed Eve Online off, too. Was it participating for Game of the Year? If so, it should have won! If that was actual gameplay, holy shit, I feel bad that I never got into the game. And what about that huge space fight called the Bloodbath of B-R5RB, probably the biggest online battle that has ever occurred, taking place over 21 hours involving 7548 players with a max of 2670 players in the system at the same time.

While Eve was writing gaming history, DA:I won the award. :p

I don't understand how an event celebrating part of the tech industry can have had so many moments of technical clumsiness -- clips playing late, mikes not picking people up or just not having enough freaking microphones to go around....

Quite independently of how good DA:I is or isn't, I find it very problematic to give any game a game of the year award so shortly after release. Why not call it a first impressions award? I really wish that game of the year awards were awarded in spring after all the late year releases really had time to sink in.

Either that or no game should be released in november/december because of these idiots that don't wait but crown anything that was released a day before.
I mean… What if Raven's Cry nails everything? It's supposed to be released in a week. Not saying it will, but what if?

I can't argue with DA:I winning it when the other four options were clearly not as good. Dark Souls II was derivative and disappointed countless fans. Bayonetta 2 was nearly a carbon copy of Bayonetta 1. Mordor had incredibly shallow and tedious combat and a barren open world. Hearthstone...well I just hate casual card games because I'm a hater, plus the game is really just an addiction loop rather than creative experience IMO.

So DA:I is clearly the most ambitious, epic, and technically sophisticated game in the list. There is something amazing about the scope the of the story and setting of DA:I. Hence, against those other titles DA:I wins easily, IMO.

Shallow and tedious combat you say? That's exactly what DA3 is.

Ambitious it's not, I've already said it's a petty grinder with random loot and endless random respawns. Y'know, the thing you can code in one day.

I'd say carbon copy of Amalur, sadly didn't play that one to be completely sure, but from what I know it is exactly that. DA3 does exactly what drove Amalur down. Respawns chestloot and enemies. Endlessly! Every second.

Technically sophisticated? Sorry, but I find surrounds more beautiful in Risen 3 where there are no crashes at all. I'm not talking about PC crashes. The game has performance problem and crashes on all platforms, the worse ones happen on xbox 360.

Story, yes, now that *is* where the game shines. But this was game of the year award. Noone would say anything if the award given was the story of the year.

Funny how a game I and a lot basically refuse to buy never mind play win's game of the year. When game of the Decade came out this year...D:OS. Well anyone that truly loves RPG games knows this so some kick-back fools that want to vote a game that has been out less than a month game of the year, so be it.

D:OS, and the people behind it know they brought something to the table that has been missing for years...

Side note....when do this reviewers and so called sites stop sucking %$#% for money. What I will give DA:I is marketing campaign of the last 10000000 years and congrats to them.

Funny how a game I and a lot basically refuse to buy never mind play win's game of the year. When game of the Decade came out this year…D:OS. Well anyone that truly loves RPG games knows this so some kick-back fools that want to vote a game that has been out less than a month game of the year, so be it.

D:OS wasn't even on the list of nominees. Strange.

On RPG of the year nominees on that site were both D:OS and DA3.

But also The Stick of Truth, Dark Souls 2 and Bravely Default (never even heard of that one, so much for nomination criteria).

I didn't play Dark Souls 2. If it won, I wouldn't whine as I know nothing about it so can't possibly know if it's really the best RPG. All I know about it is that it contains grinding. The actual comparing should do people who played both DS2 and DA3.
The Stick of Truth IMO got the story on par with DA3. But no flashy graphics, so… Seeing it as nominee is not a surprise, it's an awsome game and probably the only cartoon based game that gives justice to the source material. In a perfect world it might not win, but wouldn't lose from DA3.
For that 5th nominee, honestly, wtf? Did they suck that one out from their pinky?

I find this news very hard to swallow. If it had won 'best console game of the year' then fair enough. I understand it's a really good game for consoles.

But it's atrociously bad for PC gamers!

I wonder when the award for 'worst PC game of the year' comes out? Cause I'm willing to bet it will win that one too.

This is great news, as despite the technical glitchiness of DA:I, it's my GOTY quite easily.

Disappointing to not see DivinityOS on the list, it really deserved to be there as well IMO - but DA:I is clearly my favourite of the two, and delivers such a good feeling...mainly because BioWare is back were I like them, the drivers seat.

Now, bring on a BIG patch and a PC controls fix... and you may just have the best thing since sliced bread.

It's interesting, if perhaps a little sad, that these days I read the comments on RPGWatch news posts mostly for entertainment value, like I do on various news sites. Such cynicism, the Force is strong with these ones. :)

DA:I is a very pretty/immersive game - and I suspect that 'wow' factor has won over many people. I must say that I do not like combat (mostly) and that for me (as somone who dislikes TB combat generally) I loved D:OS and found combat in it a far more engrossing and enjoyable experience. Also, killed my fist dragon yesterday...omg...20 minutes of %#@!!! tedium. How is that 'fun'? I really think I need to leave the 'fluff' aside and get back to the main story which I am quite enjoying.

20 minutes means you either went too early or didn't use everything at your disposal. :D

I find dragons pretty easy to nail once you're aware of stuff game provides.
- every dragon has it's element vulnerability and resistance plus does a certain type of damage, for example hinterlands dragon is vulnerable to ice and does fire damage which means equip ice staff on vivienne and bring her with you, use fire resistance runes, belts, pots
- forbidden oasis has three doors to open with shards and your hero gets permaresistance on that damagetype by looting sarcophagi there (you'll go for fire doors first)
- I tend to instruct party to hit dragons' frontlegs so it doesn't jump all around the field
- Mass Effect barrier is your best friend, guard/heal on hit effect on equipment rocks
- get any bonus vs dragons rune on as much party members weapons you can, even the lowest bonusdmg one makes the difference
- looted and crafted bows outclass Bianca even with it's best available upgrades, means while Varric is still not bad, Sera outclasses him mid-late game (this probably isn't a bug as Varric is roguesupport class, not roguedamagedealer, but there is no official word on this)
- 10% resistance bonus perk is currently bugged and applies only on your hero, not on everyone, still doesn't mean you should skip it!

I suggest not abusing obvious bugs as it'll just make it worse on possible replays (a patch that fixes sword+shield Blackwall/Cassandra abnormally high front protection proc = unkillable tank is on it's way).

Saw some threads on Bioware forum of type "killed draco while level -8 on nigtmare" or "killed draco in 10 seconds" or "draco oneshotted!"… Noone should care for that crap.
There is no competition nor reward on time used or party composition in dragon killing, so… Instead of trying to beat whatever "record", you should enjoy exploring the game.

Finally if you're not aware yet, you will notice or will read somewhere that certain classes can solo dragon (in fact can solo everything). And yes, they can. But the game was not designed to play solo and this soloing "feature" is actually an abuse of AI lacking a proper script to counter a solo player - that'll probably (or better said hopefully) get fixed. And soloing in this game, where sidekicks have hilarious banter, is simply not fun.

Finally if you're not aware yet, you will notice or will read somewhere that certain classes can solo dragon (in fact can solo everything). And yes, they can. But the game was not designed to play solo and this soloing "feature" is actually an abuse of AI lacking a proper script to counter a solo player - that'll probably (or better said hopefully) get fixed. And soloing in this game, where sidekicks have hilarious banter, is simply not fun.

The "can solo everything" is more how some combination of skills are overpowered. A Knight-Enchanter build and used properly is immortal because each attacks increase their barrier. Same goes for a Shield/Vanguard Warrior, add the Champion spec for overkill immortality.

So how is the combat in DA:I, is it like action combat in Dark Souls and Kingdoms of Amalur where you block with shields, dodge, different weapons/magic have different attack animations .. etc.?

Moreover, can you kill npcs in DA:I as you please like in the Gothics (i.e. simulation aspects)?

Back
Top Bottom